The Death of Prayer Meetings

bgwilkinson said:
rsc2a said:
The church met in homes. It's what we once called church instead of that building people now refer to.

I think that might be one the reasons Congregation was used in English Bibles until the Catholics started using Church in the Rheims 1582 NT. Then James Stuart, whose mother was a Catholic until her death, ordered that the word church be used in his version of the Bible and that one Catholic use of Church has continued to this day in most English Bibles. Church has nothing to do with the body of Christ.

The early believers assembled daily in the temple and from house to house...no argument there from me.
But there is nothing in Scripture to prohibit the church assembling in any building or location.
It seems clear that the meeting in Acts 12 was specifically to pray for Peter's release.
Again, there is no specific instruction for or prohibition against public and corporate prayer in church services.

As to the meaning of ekklēsía...I think the 'local church only' people are the one's who usually complain about it being referenced as 'church'.

Tarheel Baptist said:
As to the meaning of ekklēsía...I think the 'local church only' people are the one's who usually complain about it being referenced as 'church'.

I'm not a local church only people, and I don't think it should be referenced as "church". 

The Rogue Tomato said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I'm not a local church only people, and I don't think it should be referenced as "church".

Which is why I said 'usually' complain.
Congregation, gathering, assembly.....the difference is in who does the gathering, assembling, congregating and the purpose of doing so.
Saved, born again, redeemed people gathering to worship, praise, honor, serve God.

Tomato...tomahato.

Tarheel Baptist said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Congregation, gathering, assembly.....the difference is in who does the gathering, assembling, congregating and the purpose of doing so.
Saved, born again, redeemed people gathering to worship, praise, honor, serve God.

Tomato...tomahato.

Well, perhaps I spoke too soon.  A reference to "church" would be appropriate if people would recognize that the ekklesia "church" is universal not local, and definitely not a building or limited to the people who go to that building.  It's the called out, which refers to the whole body of Christ. 

If they viewed the word that way, I wouldn't even mind if people said, "The church at Podunk, Iowa," when referencing a particular congregation, because that would mean the called out at Podunk, Iowa.

The Rogue Tomato said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Tomato...tomahato.

Well, perhaps I spoke too soon.  A reference to "church" would be appropriate if people would recognize that the ekklesia "church" is universal not local, and definitely not a building or limited to the people who go to that building.  It's the called out, which refers to the whole body of Christ. 

If they viewed the word that way, I wouldn't even mind if people said, "The church at Podunk, Iowa," when referencing a particular congregation, because that would mean the called out at Podunk, Iowa.

How about the called out at Podunk Iowa that like to gather on Sunday morning together in a big room facing a stage and listening to a man teach from the bible?  ;)

The Rogue Tomato said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Tomato...tomahato.

I would not argue semantics with you....the church is people...people who gather.
Back to the OP, I think that prayer is needed today no matter when or where we pray.

subllibrm said:
How about the called out at Podunk Iowa that like to gather on Sunday morning together in a big room facing a stage and listening to a man teach from the bible?  ;)

How about a called out gathering without passively focusing their attention on one man and trying to stay awake through it? 

The Rogue Tomato said:
subllibrm said:

How about a called out gathering without passively focusing their attention on one man and trying to stay awake through it?

I'm sorry...I'm so dense I missed your point...but I have seen that one trick soooo many times before.... :)

Tarheel Baptist said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
subllibrm said:

I'm sorry...I'm so dense I missed your point...but I have seen that one trick soooo many times before.... :)

What?  I thought he described the theatrical model perfectly:  "big room facing a stage and listening to a man". 

The Rogue Tomato said:

Yeah, a "sharing" time when some theologically illiterate nitwit drones on and on about some nonsense "God taught her" is so much more exciting.

Reformed Guy said:
I suppose they're even less popular in these parts than Sunday night services....

Oh noes, someone's doing church slightly differently from 50 years ago! It's the apocalypse!

Ransom said:
Reformed Guy said:
I suppose they're even less popular in these parts than Sunday night services....

Oh noes, someone's doing church slightly differently from 50 years ago! It's the apocalypse!

And I don't have enough canned corn and water in the shelter yet!  :eek:

Ransom said:
Reformed Guy said:

..'cuz the Church and the culture is so holy today we're beyond the need for prayer.

Got it.

Public prayer is intimidating for many people. And since it is not mandated by scripture I don't see how measuring the participation of an all church prayer-a-thon is indicative of anything.

I would say that more praying has occurred in my congregation since moving to a small group model. Of course then not everyone in church knows that Joe the prayer warrior is so good at it. They don't even get to hear him use thee and thou when addressing God.

Reformed Guy said:
..'cuz the Church and the culture is so holy today we're beyond the need for prayer.

Got it.

Oh, is it "Make Up Your Own Conclusion" day again? They forgot to mail me the flyer.