The Letters of Jack Hyles

Bravo

Elect
Reaction score
Recently in church Ray Young came up to the pulpit to pitch his new series of books to us. He stated the the thing he asked for when Bro Hyles died was his correspondence. Ray states that there were over 50,000 pieces of correspondence. Apparently Bro Hyles kept copies of the letters he sent as well all the way back to his days in Texas. So many of the letters are his own letters that he wrote and the correspondence shared with other preachers. Book 1 is finished and books 2 - 4 are in various stages of work. For a moment I felt maybe this would be interesting but then changed my mind. 50,000 letters??? I guess it it always about the numbers but who keeps that much stuff around? Who has the room for it?

Anyone have any thoughts about this? I would love the take of my fellow members and from those scattered around the country? Does this book or series interest you? Would you buy it from Ray Young?

I'm sure not one letter is scarlet...

Smellin Coffee said:

You can be sure this series places Bro. Hyles in the best possible light.
Letters that would make him look bad will not be published.
Of course I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
I refused to pay full price just so I can see what he puts in it.
I'll wait until they show up at Goodwill.

Smellin Coffee said:

Do you think this letter by the guy that doesn't accuse other Christians will make it into Ray's book?

"On May 19,1980, I was interviewed for nearly three hours by reporters from THE TIMES. One of the questions that they asked me was if I had become aware that some people were calling Mr. Nischik a homosexual. I replied that I had become aware of the fact. They asked me if I believed it. I told them that I did not know, but I thought it was very interesting that they asked me that question. I am not making an accusation because I refuse to use the tactics of my accusers.

In my opinion, Mr. Nischik has practically no credibility at the First Baptist Church of Hammond, Indiana.

Mr. Nischik told me himself that at one place where he worked (an automobile agency in Chicago), they locked him out of his office when he arrived one morning. He was fired and could not even go back to his office. The next automobile agency where he worked hired someone else to take his job and moved Mr. Nischik to another job. These words also came from Mr. Nischik's lips.

I can take you to a man in our area who testifies that Mr. Nischik had an affair with his wife and broke up his marriage.

When a preacher's reputation is attacked and he is slandered, certainly the credibility of that preacher and the credibility of his accuser should be seriously considered.

Let me give you some examples of untruths and distortions and innuendoes in Mr. Sumner s article as he relays information he got from the aforementioned Mr. Nischik and a few others, such as Mr. George Godfrey."

IMHO this is the pot calling the kettle black.

At least they are doing something with them. They were about ruined when they had them sitting in the administrative garage for years. 

As far as numbers of letters ... There was a lot, could not even venture a guess, but dozens and dozens of boxes.  In them was pretty much every memo and letter while at FBCH.  They were all carbon copies, but interesting none the less. Letters to Pastors, members, friends, they were pretty insightful into Bro.  Hyles life as a  pastor.

It is a bummer that this coincides with my book,  "The memos of Ray Young".  There are some doozies in there.

qwerty said:
At least they are doing something with them. They were about ruined when they had them sitting in the administrative garage for years. 

As far as numbers of letters ... There was a lot, could not even venture a guess, but dozens and dozens of boxes.  In them was pretty much every memo and letter while at FBCH.  They were all carbon copies, but interesting none the less. Letters to Pastors, members, friends, they were pretty insightful into Bro.  Hyles life as a  pastor.

It is a bummer that this coincides with my book,  "The memos of Ray Young".  There are some doozies in there.

Those would be entertaining.  Do any of them rate with Ray Young chewing out Garnet Bandy (sp?) in Church Ed? :D

Bro. Hyles kept every memo.  He showed me many of them in his attempt to stop his underlings from fighting each other.  I think the letters could easily show that much of what HAC became was the result of the minions.

Many of those letters were very personal.  I would think Ray Young would have a lawsuit on his hands for publishing such personal addresses to individuals.  Consider waking up one day to find a personal problem for which you received counsel 25 year ago was now public.  Yep, many lawsuits toward Ray Young.

This is, once again, classic Ray Young.  "I knew Bro. Hyles better than anyone!"  Remember the Pastor's School after Bro. Hyles passed?  Ray gave a session where he talked about just following around Bro. Hyles.  Like that was supposed to help anyone build a church.

Binaca Chugger said:
Bro. Hyles kept every memo.  He showed me many of them in his attempt to stop his underlings from fighting each other.  I think the letters could easily show that much of what HAC became was the result of the minions.

Many of those letters were very personal.  I would think Ray Young would have a lawsuit on his hands for publishing such personal addresses to individuals.  Consider waking up one day to find a personal problem for which you received counsel 25 year ago was now public.  Yep, many lawsuits toward Ray Young.

This is, once again, classic Ray Young.  "I knew Bro. Hyles better than anyone!"  Remember the Pastor's School after Bro. Hyles passed?  Ray gave a session where he talked about just following around Bro. Hyles.  Like that was supposed to help anyone build a church.

Reminds me of a poodle following the master.

Does ray need the money....NO he's not going to publish personal letters... because he would need a lawyer....

Timotheus said:
qwerty said:

Those would be entertaining.  Do any of them rate with Ray Young chewing out Garnet Bandy (sp?) in Church Ed? :D

You remember that?  One of those rare little moments you had to be there to appreciate. ;D

bgwilkinson said:
Smellin Coffee said:

Do you think this letter by the guy that doesn't accuse other Christians will make it into Ray's book?

"On May 19,1980, I was interviewed for nearly three hours by reporters from THE TIMES. One of the questions that they asked me was if I had become aware that some people were calling Mr. Nischik a homosexual. I replied that I had become aware of the fact. They asked me if I believed it. I told them that I did not know, but I thought it was very interesting that they asked me that question. I am not making an accusation because I refuse to use the tactics of my accusers.

In my opinion, Mr. Nischik has practically no credibility at the First Baptist Church of Hammond, Indiana.

Mr. Nischik told me himself that at one place where he worked (an automobile agency in Chicago), they locked him out of his office when he arrived one morning. He was fired and could not even go back to his office. The next automobile agency where he worked hired someone else to take his job and moved Mr. Nischik to another job. These words also came from Mr. Nischik's lips.

I can take you to a man in our area who testifies that Mr. Nischik had an affair with his wife and broke up his marriage.

When a preacher's reputation is attacked and he is slandered, certainly the credibility of that preacher and the credibility of his accuser should be seriously considered.

Let me give you some examples of untruths and distortions and innuendoes in Mr. Sumner s article as he relays information he got from the aforementioned Mr. Nischik and a few others, such as Mr. George Godfrey."

IMHO this is the pot calling the kettle black.

Unless this is a typo, the Nischik stuff really didn't come to the surface until the late 80s.

Even though I am not a Ray Young fan, I would definitely read the book.  As one poster mentioned, I'm sure everything he has in his book will make Dr. Hyles look great.  I would also guess that Young will use each letter to help teach some great principle.  It would be very interesting if the letters from the "battle years" would be put in print.

I am Belinda (Casteel) Gaona's friend on Facebook, she  was promoting Ray Young's book and said it was like talking to Dr. Hyles.    The man is dead..move on!

A few lines from her "review"

. If one reads the book just to receive the information Dr. Young gives concerning Dr. Hyles' life and accomplishments, he will again receive so much insight into why we believe like we do.

I believe that in the first letter in the book which is written to his mother, Dr. Hyles calls his mom--"mommy"! That was just so precious to read. A grown man who loves his mom so much that he calls her mommy. All-in-all I have read many biographies of this great man; each one was excellent; but this book made me feel like I had spent the morning with Dr. Hyles

. I felt refreshed, encouraged, and educated. If you have the opportunity to get a copy of this book, I would suggest you spend the money to have your own personal copy. I give Dr. Young a real shout out for this fine piece of literary work. Can't wait for volume 2

kaba said:
I am Belinda (Casteel) Gaona's friend on Facebook, she  was promoting Ray Young's book and said it was like talking to Dr. Hyles.    The man is dead..move on!

. If one reads the book just to receive the information Dr. Young gives concerning Dr. Hyles' life and accomplishments, he will again receive so much insight into why we believe like we do.

I believe that in the first letter in the book which is written to his mother, Dr. Hyles calls his mom--"mommy"! That was just so precious to read. A grown man who loves his mom so much that he calls her mommy. All-in-all I have read many biographies of this great man; each one was excellent; but this book made me feel like I had spent the morning with Dr. Hyles

. I felt refreshed, encouraged, and educated. If you have the opportunity to get a copy of this book, I would suggest you spend the money to have your own personal copy. I give Dr. Young a real shout out for this fine piece of literary work. Can't wait for volume 2

Ok, after that review I just gotta get that book. I'll just wait till they're 10 cents at Goodwill.

I know they are all old news or history, but I like to learn from history and maybe make changes that can prevent the disasters of the past.

bgwilkinson said:
kaba said:

I'll just wait till they're 10 cents at Goodwill.

You already used that joke in this thread....

kaba said:
Not saying that I'll buy the book, but I have books in my library about what DL Moody said, about what Lee Roberson said and many others said or taught.
My point is: Why is it considered 'man worship' when people print things like Brother Hyle's letters but we're considered scholarly and wise when we read autobiographies from people like David Brainered or other books about Moody, Spurgeon, Wesley et. al?
Agree with it or not, there are many who think of Brother Hyles as the Moody of our day.
They aren't tainted in their opinion of him like many here are.

qwerty said:
bgwilkinson said:
kaba said:

I'll just wait till they're 10 cents at Goodwill.

You already used that joke in this thread....

My bad. Thought that was on another one.

Repetition  is the key to learning.

[quote author=bgwilkinson]Repetition  is the key to learning.[/quote]

Repetition is the key to learning.

I so disagree with her statement about reading his book so we can find out why we believe what we believe!!!

I follow God's word and what he says, not what Jack Hyles says!! I am not a fundamentalist because of Jack Hyles! To me  her statement is offensive!

rsc2a said:
[quote author=bgwilkinson]Repetition  is the key to learning.

Repetition is the key to learning.
[/quote]

lol