The Letters of Jack Hyles

16KJV11 said:
kaba said:
I am Belinda (Casteel) Gaona's friend on Facebook, she  was promoting Ray Young's book and said it was like talking to Dr. Hyles.    The man is dead..move on!
Not saying that I'll buy the book, but I have books in my library about what DL Moody said, about what Lee Roberson said and many others said or taught.
My point is: Why is it considered 'man worship' when people print things like Brother Hyle's letters but we're considered scholarly and wise when we read autobiographies from people like David Brainered or other books about Moody, Spurgeon, Wesley et. al?
Agree with it or not, there are many who think of Brother Hyles as the Moody of our day.
They aren't tainted in their opinion of him like many here are.

My red flag with her recommendation is as stated earlier, with her comment, "to know why we believe what we do." No one reads Spurgeon's or Moody's biography for that reason or to claim "it felt like I spent the morning with him." A bit creepy sounding. Sure the book would be a curiosity, but Ray being attracted to it pretty much keeps me from buying it. It's a compilation of letters right? Not a work of literature. At this point I agree with Kaba, lets move on. Sorry.

kaba said:
I so disagree with her statement about reading his book so we can find out why we believe what we believe!!!

I follow God's word and what he says, not what Jack Hyles says!! I am not a fundamentalist because of Jack Hyles! To me  her statement is offensive!
Probably the meaning is "why we believe what we believe" about Bro. Hyles.  That is why she would gush about it being just like meeting with him.  Remember, these folks were taught that Hyles was in the place of God just like Moses was to Aaron, and they swallowed it hook, line, and sinker.

kaba said:
I so disagree with her statement about reading his book so we can find out why we believe what we believe!!!

I follow God's word and what he says, not what Jack Hyles says!! I am not a fundamentalist because of Jack Hyles! To me  her statement is offensive!

To me BCG is offensive.....as well as the statement.

(Did I just type that out loud?) 

I would put this more along the lines of "All the best" by George Bush. Since there is not an autobiography by Dr. Hyles, this could be considered that through his letters. There are so many people that only knew him from the pulpit, but this could provide some insight into the other side of Dr. Hyles by way of his correspondence.

I agree that there is some apprehensiveness because of who is putting it together and it will lack the narration that George Bush put into his book, I am sure that many will find it interesting. It probably should just be one book of the best, but will end up being volumes of mediocrity and will not be as effective as it could be.

I hope they include the letters between he and John Rice when Rice found out Hyles did not believe in storehouse tithing. It is a great story and illustration about how two people can be close friends despite philosophical disagreements.

qwerty said:
I hope they include the letters between he and John Rice when Rice found out Hyles did not believe in storehouse tithing. It is a great story and illustration about how two people can be close friends despite philosophical disagreements.
You mean when Dr. Rice found out that Bro. Hyles did not believe storehouse tithing was heresy, don't you?  I'm pretty sure that John R. Rice would have been happy to find out "Hyles did not believe in storehouse tithing" because Rice often called it heresy in his magazine.

qwerty said:
I would put this more along the lines of "All the best" by George Bush. Since there is not an autobiography by Dr. Hyles, this could be considered that through his letters. There are so many people that only knew him from the pulpit, but this could provide some insight into the other side of Dr. Hyles by way of his correspondence.

I agree that there is some apprehensiveness because of who is putting it together and it will lack the narration that George Bush put into his book, I am sure that many will find it interesting. It probably should just be one book of the best, but will end up being volumes of mediocrity and will not be as effective as it could be.

I think it would be great to see Dr. Hyles from all angles (even if some didn't paint a pretty picture).  Knowing that Ray Young is putting this together tells me that he will only choose letters that show Dr. Hyles' postitive side.

Bob Gray's book "When Principle Was King" was not a bad read.  The only problem is that Gray only spoke of stories that made Dr. Hyles look good.  The book would have been a better read if there had been a time or two when Gray pointed out something with which he did not agree.

PappaBear said:
qwerty said:
You mean when Dr. Rice found out that Bro. Hyles did not believe storehouse tithing was heresy, don't you?  I'm pretty sure that John R. Rice would have been happy to find out "Hyles did not believe in storehouse tithing" because Rice often called it heresy in his magazine.

According to the letters and a story told by both Rice and Hyles, Rice believed in storehouse tithing, Hyles did not. I have heard the story probably 50 times in my nearly 20 years as an employee there. It had to be in their early years, perhaps Rice had a change in his position?  Hyles would always say something like, "I better be careful telling this story or Dr. Rice will write about me in Heaven's Sword of the Lord".

kaba said:

Regardless how one feels about the book and the principles we can learn, the above quote jumped out at me!!!!!!bNow why do we believe what we believe?

RAIDER said:
qwerty said:

I think it would be great to see Dr. Hyles from all angles (even if some didn't paint a pretty picture).  Knowing that Ray Young is putting this together tells me that he will only choose letters that show Dr. Hyles' postitive side.

Bob Gray's book "When Principle Was King" was not a bad read.  The only problem is that Gray only spoke of stories that made Dr. Hyles look good.  The book would have been a better read if there had been a time or two when Gray pointed out something with which he did not agree.

Perhaps he disagreed with nothing, therefore he had nothing with which he disagreed to write. 

Not saying that's it, but perhaps.  Some people believe(d) Dr. Hyles' word over the Bible. 

qwerty said:
PappaBear said:
qwerty said:

According to the letters and a story told by both Rice and Hyles, Rice believed in storehouse tithing, Hyles did not. I have heard the story probably 50 times in my nearly 20 years as an employee there. It had to be in their early years, perhaps Rice had a change in his position?  Hyles would always say something like, "I better be careful telling this story or Dr. Rice will write about me in Heaven's Sword of the Lord".
You've got it right, just backwards.  I heard Dr. Hyles say the same type thing many times, but it was for fear of what Dr. Rice would find out that as pastor, Bro. Hyles DID believe in storehouse tithing.  Dr. Rice used to run front page banner headlines in the Sword in the early 70's declaring "Storehouse Tithing is a Heresy!" and it is also in a couple of his Q&A books.  And per what he claimed, even when he pastored he did not believe in storehouse tithing.

Here's a sample article by Dr. Rice on the subject:  http://cnview.com/on_line_resources/storehouse_tithing.htm

ivannette said:
oh my

i too heard rice believed in storehouse tithing

did he somewhere along the way switch the ticket and go that way

I believe Brother Hyles believed in storehouse tithing and Rice did not.

ivannette said:
oh my

i too heard rice believed in storehouse tithing

did he somewhere along the way switch the ticket and go that way

My understanding was that Rice was always against Storehouse Tithing.  My pastor when I was a little boy did not support the Sword of the LORD for that reason.  It was a big deal to me at the time, so it made an impression.

IFB X-Files said:
"The Letters of Jack Hyles"

What sport?  Football?  Basketball?

I know that there are some letters that he wrote to Randy Erickson that won't make it into the publication. Not because there was anything bad about Randy but because he kind of trashed some other people who were were working for him at the time.

kaba said:

THANK YOU!  I was hoping someone would point that out. 

Seriously people, if we have to read Bro. Hyles' personal letters to determine what we believe....something is wrong.

Ray Young has a man-crush on Jack Hyles.

Binaca Chugger said:
I remember in Church Ed him telling how Bro. Hyles supposedly prayed all the traffic lights green when he was driving and they were running late for an event at one Pastor's School.

PappaBear said:
Binaca Chugger said:
I remember in Church Ed him telling how Bro. Hyles supposedly prayed all the traffic lights green when he was driving and they were running late for an event at one Pastor's School.

Did you believe it was Bro. Hyles prayers that did it or was it just the timing of the lights.

It has happened to me also but I didn't presume myself so important as to inconvenience others at the intersections. Since I didn't pray what turned the lights for me?

I wonder how difficult it is for the sycophants to figure out what to do with themselves now that we have a pastor who does not want to be idolized? The obvious answer is to reach back and do a little more idolizing of pastors past...