"The Old Church Downtown" - Keith McKinney

Jim Jones said:
RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:
Yes I have read this book and use it quit often to jog my memory.

It is fun just to read it.

It was written by Keith and Gail at the time of Bro. Hyles death and published in 2001 by Bro. Hyles personal publishing company Hyles Publications. His personally owned not-for-profit where the church paid all the expenses and Bro. Hyles collected all the money, not just the profits.

There is nothing negative presented in it. The spin is a bit misleading if you've known of the goings on from a personal vintage point. Even things that should have been presented with accuracy are spun to make Bro. Hyles look good.

A better title for the book would be "The Honoring of Bro. Hyles".

It would be like telling the story of King David and forgetting to include the adultery with Uriah's wife and the murder of Uriah and Absolom and the rape of Tamar and the murder of Amnon and all the other sordid things that circulated around the kings of Israel. These are things God does not omit when He tells a story.

I do think very highly of the book for the pics that it has and the other historical information that it does contain.

If anyone knew what was going on during Dr. Hyles ministry I would say it would be Keith.  Would you say he is another one that "covered it up"?

Erma could write the whole story.

I'm not quite sure that Mrs McKinney would've listened to gossip.  Her kids were very aware as Gail was teaching at HBHS in the 70's, but Mrs McKinney was extremely loyal to Bro Hyles.  I remember when the 100% Loyal issue was being crammed down the throats of all staff members, she and the Colsten's went to the greatest lengths to disassociate themselves from all friends and former members who left FBC.  They were very borderline of being downright rude to former members, also, I believe they were treating others with in an "unChristianlike"
way.  Sadly, those that left did so because they couldn't continue turning a blind eye towards the covering up of sin.  I still respect Mrs McKinney and the Colstens, but they were very wrong with the 100% Loyal issue.

tobytyler said:
Jim Jones said:
RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:

It was written by Keith and Gail at the time of Bro. Hyles death and published in 2001 by Bro. Hyles personal publishing company Hyles Publications. His personally owned not-for-profit where the church paid all the expenses and Bro. Hyles collected all the money, not just the profits.

There is nothing negative presented in it. The spin is a bit misleading if you've known of the goings on from a personal vintage point. Even things that should have been presented with accuracy are spun to make Bro. Hyles look good.

It would be like telling the story of King David and forgetting to include the adultery with Uriah's wife and the murder of Uriah and Absolom and the rape of Tamar and the murder of Amnon and all the other sordid things that circulated around the kings of Israel. These are things God does not omit when He tells a story.

I do think very highly of the book for the pics that it has and the other historical information that it does contain.

If anyone knew what was going on during Dr. Hyles ministry I would say it would be Keith.  Would you say he is another one that "covered it up"?

I'm not quite sure that Mrs McKinney would've listened to gossip.  Her kids were very aware as Gail was teaching at HBHS in the 70's, but Mrs McKinney was extremely loyal to Bro Hyles.  I remember when the 100% Loyal issue was being crammed down the throats of all staff members, she and the Colsten's went to the greatest lengths to disassociate themselves from all friends and former members who left FBC.  They were very borderline of being downright rude to former members, also, I believe they were treating others with in an "unChristianlike"
way.  Sadly, those that left did so because they couldn't continue turning a blind eye towards the covering up of sin.  I still respect Mrs McKinney and the Colstens, but they were very wrong with the 100% Loyal issue.
This is correct.

Some of the "core" families took a "we no longer have to behave like family toward you, if you for one second entertained the idea that there may be some truth to the accusations.

It became " this is my church, and...."

Earnestly Contend

tobytyler said:
Jim Jones said:
RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:

Yes, sadly you are correct on the treatment of those that were crying out about the sin in the camp.

bgwilkinson said:
tobytyler said:
Jim Jones said:
RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:

Yes, sadly you are correct on the treatment of those that were crying out about the sin in the camp.

So, the true believers refused to even entertain the evidence?
To listen to the Viscick (sp) children?
To read Dr Hyles deposition and consider the 'facts' in question?

Tarheel Baptist said:

No evidence to convict.

IFB X-Files said:
RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

No evidence to convict.

If they didn't see it, it didn't happen.

The truth for some.

I ask them this, "Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith?" Mt. 8:26

RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

No evidence to convict.

Same as OJ Simpson?

Again, loyal church members were told to not read any of the trash against their preacher. My guess is that most did not. It was an attack from Satan against their ministry and they would not dignify it by actually reading and evaluating the information. It was easier to deny it that way. Those that read the Biblical Evangelist articles and the Vic Nischik and Voyle Glover books were pretty much excommunicated. 

If you were a 100% Hyles Supporter, you did not read any of it. End of story.

Tarheel Baptist said:
bgwilkinson said:
tobytyler said:
Jim Jones said:
RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:

I asked my mom about this and she said they were told not to read any of it, to stay away from anything that spoke against the church.

I asked a man that was there when JH had to go to court and he said, if nothing happened they sure made it look like he did.

IMO, if there was an emotional affair going on than JH should've been voted out but how do you prove an emotional affair?

Mrs. Hyles did speak very well of her husband at the funeral, she didn't have to. But I do know women are much more different than men when it comes to forgiving husbands for these kind of things, IMO.

Whereas a man, the wife have an emotional affair, 9 out of 10 there'll just cutt you off right there.

[/quote]

But I don't think you folks that don't like Bro. Hyles would like what she has to say.

Tennessean said:

But I don't think you folks that don't like Bro. Hyles would like what she has to say.
[/quote]

'Don't like' is a kind way of putting it, but in the original 'don't worship' may be a more accurate translation.

Bruh said:
I asked my mom about this and she said they were told not to read any of it, to stay away from anything that spoke against the church.

I asked a man that was there when JH had to go to court and he said, if nothing happened they sure made it look like he did.

IMO, if there was an emotional affair going on than JH should've been voted out but how do you prove an emotional affair?

Mrs. Hyles did speak very well of her husband at the funeral, she didn't have to. But I do know women are much more different than men when it comes to forgiving husbands for these kind of things, IMO.

Whereas a man, the wife have an emotional affair, 9 out of 10 there'll just cutt you off right there.

We errored in not conducting an investigation as the scriptures require.

Tennessean said:

[/quote]

You seem to be level headed AND informed.  :)

What was the response of the church, of the loyalists, to the allegations?
The children who made what seemed to me believable accusations.
They were HBC kids and seem to have had no ulterior motive.
When you put that with Dr Hyles deposition, which I only recently read in full...the evidence seems solid, if not overwhelming.
Is there/ was there more than met the eye?

"They were HBC kids and seem to have had no uterine motive. "

Definitely the quote of the day.