The Old Paths

FSSL said:
Old paths = 20 years behind

No denim in the 70s after it had been popular in the 50s

KJV only in the 70s after the RSV and AS were accepted by many fundamentalists in the 50s

No Steve Green in the 80s...

No pants on girls until 2000s

Calvinistic thinking promoted by fundamentalists in the 40s, booed by fundamentalists in the 70s, now gaining popularity again in the 90s

There certainly does seem to be various groups that seem to be just 20-40 years out of step with the world.

I don't think that all fundamentalists accepted the RSV and AS; some fought against the new translations from the beginning. I think that some, like John R Rice, believed that statements put forth by the RSV and AS about the so-called "improvements" that they made.

Walt said:
I don't think that all fundamentalists accepted the RSV and AS; some fought against the new translations from the beginning. I think that some, like John R Rice, believed that statements put forth by the RSV and AS about the so-called "improvements" that they made.

The ASV used to be popular at the seminary level among fundamentalists in the mid-1900 century. It was called "The Standard."

Many fundamentalists have moved away from the KJV now.

There is no "path." There certainly is not an "old path." "Old Path" was used by my variety of fundamentalism which was not as extreme as the Hyles version.

"Old Path" was (still is) used to give the impression that the peculiarities of dress, preaching-style and standards was somehow the right way because it had history's endorsement. In other words, it was a manipulative phrase.

What are some of the dress or other standards that are common place among the the OLD Paths crowd that were not practiced in the 17,18 & early 1900's.

The three to thrive is new, most churches in the 1800's did not meet 3 times a week. I would call this a method or style issue not a standard. I would include bus ministries & youth groups to this list of "new: methods not standards.

Standards would be rules based on at least a perceived interpretation of bible principals.

sword said:
What are some of the dress or other standards that are common place among the the OLD Paths crowd that were not practiced in the 17,18 & early 1900's.

The three to thrive is new, most churches in the 1800's did not meet 3 times a week. I would call this a method or style issue not a standard. I would include bus ministries & youth groups to this list of "new: methods not standards.

Standards would be rules based on at least a perceived interpretation of bible principals.

Not forsaking...would be the Bible verse used to have folks attend all three services and Sunday school. So a standard...not a method.

Mathew Ward said:
sword said:

Not forsaking...would be the Bible verse used to have folks attend all three services and Sunday school. So a standard...not a method.
The decision to have 2 or 3 services, through out the week, would be a preference for the pastor, not a standard. The Bible does not dictate how many times to meet, just that we should not forsake going when the church does meet.

My point is some of the things we do are preferences not standards. I don't think most of the old paths church standards are that different from those that baptists held in the 1800's & early 1900's.

The term "old paths" is used in various ways: beliefs, standards, worship style... It is a vague phrase used to criticize other churches for various reasons.

FSSL said:
Walt said:

The ASV used to be popular at the seminary level among fundamentalists in the mid-1900 century. It was called "The Standard."

Many fundamentalists have moved away from the KJV now.

There is no "path." There certainly is not an "old path." "Old Path" was used by my variety of fundamentalism which was not as extreme as the Hyles version.

"Old Path" was (still is) used to give the impression that the peculiarities of dress, preaching-style and standards was somehow the right way because it had history's endorsement. In other words, it was a manipulative phrase.

It is also a Biblical phrase, you know.

I agree it has been highjacked by many to mean "how things were done when I was growing up"

Walt said:
It is also a Biblical phrase, you know.
I agree it has been highjacked by many to mean "how things were done when I was growing up"

Yep! Couldn't agree more!

sword said:

Insert "Adult character voices from Charlie Brown here."  People will not listen. People will  not here. If it goes back to the 1950's  (dress) or 1800's (altar call) that's OLD enough for some.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altar_call
But that's wikipedia. You can't trust that.

Carry On!