The phony evangelism of Calvinism

Biblebeliever

Elect
Reaction score

http://youtu.be/6XyGpCdsBNk?list=UU9Qdmnxz6SkqWnVN_SxUSUg

Published on Jul 21, 2014
In this video I look at the phony evangelism of Calvinism.
Calvinist's make exhortations and appeals to the unsaved man to be saved when they believe that decision has already been made by God and that the spiritually dead man cannot respond to these appeals.
I use James White's 'Letter's To A Mormon Elder' as an example of this hypocritical form of evangelism.
White acknowledges that the man he is writing to cannot make any decision, but still pleads with him!
Moreover, White says he is going to pray for the man when White believes God's sovereign decision has already been made!
These phony, emotional appeals are simply attempts by Calvinists to make their satanic philosophical system appear to be Biblical.

Biblebeliever said:

Calvinist's make exhortations and appeals to the unsaved man to be saved when they believe that decision has already been made by God and that the spiritually dead man cannot respond to these appeals.
I use James White's 'Letter's To A Mormon Elder' as an example of this hypocritical form of evangelism.
White acknowledges that the man he is writing to cannot make any decision, but still pleads with him!
Moreover, White says he is going to pray for the man when White believes God's sovereign decision has already been made!
These phony, emotional appeals are simply attempts by Calvinists to make their satanic philosophical system appear to be Biblical.

Was the evangelism of George Whitfield phony? (a calvinist)  By the way, Can anyone tell me Whitfield could be one of the founders of Methodism? Wasn't Methodism basically Arminian?

De totawity of Edwad's awgument is that James White doesn't weawwy bewieve what he wites. We'we supposed to bewieve Edwawd is a mindweadew. What a fwaud he is.

Biblebeliever said:

BB,

Do you ever pray for a lost person you might know that they would be saved?  If so, I'm just curious to know exactly what you might be hoping God would do as a result of your prayers or if your prayers are just some phony, emotional appeal to a god who has no real sovereign power to bring it to reality?

BandGuy said:
Do you ever pray for a lost person you might know that they would be saved?  If so, I'm just curious to know exactly what you might be hoping God would do as a result of your prayers or if your prayers are just some phony, emotional appeal to a god who has no real sovereign power to bring it to reality?

Dear Lord, I want to pray for my friend Bill, that he might someday exercise his free will to accept you as his personal Lord and Saviour. I realize that since your atonement was not effective to save any particular people, you're actually his impersonal Lord and Saviour already, and that changing his mind really isn't in your job description, but thanks anyway. Amen.

Ransom said:
BandGuy said:

Dear Lord, I want to pray for my friend Bill, that he might someday exercise his free will to accept you as his personal Lord and Saviour. I realize that since your atonement was not effective to save any particular people, you're actually his impersonal Lord and Saviour already, and that changing his mind really isn't in your job description, but thanks anyway. Amen.

Post of the year.  Still laughing.

BandGuy said:
BB,

Arminians pray for people to be saved even though they believe that salvation is a free will choice because God commands us to pray.
Calvinists evangelize even though they believe that salvation is predetermined and grace is irresistible because God commands us to evangelize.

Eh, they both have logical flaws if you ask me.

Darkwing Duck said:
Arminians pray for people to be saved even though they believe that salvation is a free will choice because God commands us to pray.
Calvinists evangelize even though they believe that salvation is predetermined and grace is irresistible because God commands us to evangelize.

There's no logical flaw in the second statement. There's an unstated premise: Salvation is predetermined, grace is irresistible, God commands us to evangelize, and God uses evangelism as the means by which his elect are brought to him.

Just because God is sovereign over everything that happens, doesn't mean the normal laws of cause and effect don't apply.

Now, in the Arminian case: Arminians pray, even though salvation is a free-will choice, because God commands them to pray, and ______? James 5:16 says that the prayer of a righteous man has great power. What makes your prayer for someone else's salvation powerful? Because praying to God to change someone whose will he will not interfere with, sounds an awful lot like arbitrary obedience. What can you fill in the blank with to make it not arbitrary?

Ransom said:
Darkwing Duck said:

There's no logical flaw in the second statement. There's an unstated premise: Salvation is predetermined, grace is irresistible, God commands us to evangelize, and God uses evangelism as the means by which his elect are brought to him.

Just because God is sovereign over everything that happens, doesn't mean the normal laws of cause and effect don't apply.

Now, in the Arminian case: Arminians pray, even though salvation is a free-will choice, because God commands them to pray, and ______? James 5:16 says that the prayer of a righteous man has great power. What makes your prayer for someone else's salvation powerful? Because praying to God to change someone whose will he will not interfere with, sounds an awful lot like arbitrary obedience. What can you fill in the blank with to make it not arbitrary?

Hey Scott, how are you, sir?

For myself, I pray that the LORD will bring them to the circumstance where they will see their need, truly be faced with who they are, and that He would bring about situations where they come to the end of themselves and cry out to Him.  I never saw it as "making a decision for Jesus" as much as realizing the clap of doom was at hand and calling out for mercy.

PFFlyer said:
For myself, I pray that the LORD will bring them to the circumstance where they will see their need, truly be faced with who they are, and that He would bring about situations where they come to the end of themselves and cry out to Him.

And how does the LORD actually accomplish this? They are always free to walk away from his situations and circumstances, instead of into them, right?  So there's still no guarantees of anything.

Ransom said:
PFFlyer said:
For myself, I pray that the LORD will bring them to the circumstance where they will see their need, truly be faced with who they are, and that He would bring about situations where they come to the end of themselves and cry out to Him.

And how does the LORD actually accomplish this? They are always free to walk away from his situations and circumstances, instead of into them, right?  So there's still no guarantees of anything.

No guarantees, certainly, but there is no walking away from where God has you.  He will not force you to worship at His feet, but he can surely show you who you are and who He is.

PFFlyer said:
No guarantees, certainly, but there is no walking away from where God has you.  He will not force you to worship at His feet, but he can surely show you who you are and who He is.

Well, technically speaking, “As I live, says the Lord, Every knee shall bow to Me, And every tongue shall confess to God.”

The Rogue Tomato said:
PFFlyer said:

Well, technically speaking, “As I live, says the Lord, Every knee shall bow to Me, And every tongue shall confess to God.”
But, only if they're willing, right? :D

Biblebeliever said:

For being such an alleged "Biblebeliever" you sure do like to show us a lot of preachers with opinions and not very much Bible.

BandGuy said:
BB,

Hello there BandGuy,

yes I do pray for lost people. That they would be saved. That they would come to a state of repentance before God, and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Also, I am not in any way, denying the power and sovereignty of Almighty God. All I am saying is that God does not override man's free will and his ability to make a choice.

Ransom said:

Scott, salvation is not at all pre-determined. Salvation is for anyone who will come to the Lord Jesus Christ by faith in His blood.

Also, Grace is not irresistible. It can be resisted. Just as a Christian, after he has already been saved, can resist the Holy Ghost in his life.

PFFlyer said:
No guarantees, certainly, but there is no walking away from where God has you.

And how does God guarantee that an individual possessing a free will, will fall into his trap?

He will not force you to worship at His feet, but he can surely show you who you are and who He is.

The problem with the unregenerate isn't that they are ignorant of God, but that they are enemies of God (Rom. 8:7).