The question becomes

Just me

Elect
Reaction score
The question becomes will the few remaining members of WHBC follow Tommy Boy to a new location now that JAV is dead and gone and they have no real fear of retaliation for not going.

Just me said:
The question becomes will the few remaining members of WHBC follow Tommy Boy to a new location now that JAV is dead and gone and they have no real fear of retaliation for not going.

I pray that the remaining members will have their eyes opened, and be able to get into a church that isn't personality driven (maybe the church associated with Heartland?)

I believe some will take the opportunity to move on.  There are not many families left these days to begin with.  There are good churches in the area for them to change membership.  They will see an amazing difference immediately for sure.

Just me said:
I believe some will take the opportunity to move on.  There are not many families left these days to begin with.  There are good churches in the area for them to change membership.  They will see an amazing difference immediately for sure.

Care to name some of the good churches in the area?

Didn't the majority of the people move to Heartland/Southwest?

Justin Geis and James Magas have taken their talents there and are working in the "real world" proving Tony Hutson's point that you don't need to attend "IFB College" to stay loyal.

Walt said:
Just me said:

Southwest Baptist. IMHO, Gaddis is a good man and pastor, much better than Davison.

Walt said:
Just me said:

Good is definitely a relative term.  I will let those seeking another church to define it for themselves.  I will say, that in my opinion, they would be wise to stay away from those churches that run in WHBC's circle.

TheRealJonStewart said:
Walt said:
Just me said:

Southwest Baptist. IMHO, Gaddis is a good man and pastor, much better than Davison.

Thanks.  I know a few people who have gone to Heartland, and they seemed pretty reasonable, but I haven't attended churches there.

Southwest/Heartland won the war.

The majority of people/students have gone there.

The few that were remaining loyal to the Vineayrds may sadly go "mainstream" as false teacher Craig Groeschell has taken over Oklahoma with his franchise and false doctrine and a has a sermon series on "Losing Your Salvation".

SWBC is a good church but they are different on some doctrines than WHBC ( im talking about core doctrine not rules, standards, holiness etc...)

Not all the churches that had/ have ties to OBC in the area are bad

Open Door Baptist Church in Midwest City pastored by Andy Bush is a great church. He taught at the college for years but never took the critical spirit that brought WHBC down on itself

Victory Baptist Church in Yukon on pastored by Michael Ridge is a great church as well. He too has taught at the college and never took the critical spirit with him. He actually a few years back got on the "naughty list " with WHBC but they since walked that back once the facts came out. He graciously forgave and moved on.

Both pastors are OBC grads, preach down the line on Soteriology, Eschatology, and Theology, and have their families in order. 
Both of these churches have former WHBC members who have healed nicely and are doing great things from what I've heard.
They both have OBC grads leading their music ministries so they definitely wont  lean contemporary ( as long as those 2 guys are leading the music ). I shouldn't say definitely because you never know but id be shocked if they went to praise team styles, drum sets, tight jeans etc.

Here are the links to those churches

http://www.opendoormwc.com

http://vbcyukon.org/

There are a few other church in the area that have received WHBC members but what Ive heard is that some of them took the WHBC critical spirit with them.

If you all know of other churches list them :) bc im sure there are people at WHBC that are hurting and need to know there are placed they can go and heal and recover and serve

God bless !

Saved by Grace said:
SWBC is a good church but they are different on some doctrines than WHBC ( im talking about core doctrine not rules, standards, holiness etc...)

What are they different in doctrines?

TheRealJonStewart said:
Saved by Grace said:

* The biggest difference i know of first hand is the Communion Policy

SWBC is closed in that only their church members can partake when they do it
WHBC is close in that they will offer communion to churches of "like faith ".  Ive worked with many SWBC member and WHBC members in various projects and neither side is contention to the point of fighting about it but they sure wont back down

* The other issues is more isolated involving Baptist in general.
WHBC does not hold to the "baptist briders" or the "baptist are more special than others " doctrine
SWBC or primarily HBBC does have many students who promote this and they prob got it from their home churches but it isnt preached against at SWBC

They are not "big " differences but there are some SWBC is a good church even if i disagree on a few things

They do have one thing in common in that ALVIN would not be welcomed there if they knew his identity.

Saved by Grace said:
TheRealJonStewart said:
Saved by Grace said:

* The biggest difference i know of first hand is the Communion Policy

SWBC is closed in that only their church members can partake when they do it
WHBC is close in that they will offer communion to churches of "like faith ".  Ive worked with many SWBC member and WHBC members in various projects and neither side is contention to the point of fighting about it but they sure wont back down

* The other issues is more isolated involving Baptist in general.
WHBC does not hold to the "baptist briders" or the "baptist are more special than others " doctrine
SWBC or primarily HBBC does have many students who promote this and they prob got it from their home churches but it isnt preached against at SWBC

They are not "big " differences but there are some SWBC is a good church even if i disagree on a few things

They do have one thing in common in that ALVIN would not be welcomed there if they knew his identity.

I had to register to reply to this. I am a Heartland grad and a former Heartland staff member. During that time, I was a member of SWBC for several years. I can't speak at all for WHBC, but I can speak for what HBBC and SWBC teach.

SWBC does practice closed communion. They don't elevate it to the level of a doctrine. It would be more a matter of polity. As independent baptists, that is a perfectly legitimate matter to disagree over and not get upset about. At HBBC, students come from a variety of backgrounds on the matter. Holding to one position does not make one church better or worse than another. There can be legitimate reasons for whatever position you hold to.

As for Baptist Briders, SWBC and HBBC absolutely do NOT hold this position. Baptist Briders teach that only Baptists make up the bride of Christ and will be raptured.  HBBC addresses this in classes and teaches that is wrong. I don't recall hearing it addressed directly in church at Southwest, but it is absolutely NOT what the church teaches.  It's such a fringe teaching, that is unlikely to come up in church. I have never heard any students discussing it, so I find it difficult to believe that "many" students advocate it. If that were the case, and the administration were aware of it, it would absolutely be addressed - probably in a chapel service or some sort of student assembly.

Southwest is a wonderful church. I would still be there if God had not led me to move to a different city. It is unlikely that you will find a church where you will agree with everything - especially one as large as Southwest.

I wont profess to know the ins and outs of the SWBC  doctrine and i know there are a few "weirdos " in each school/ church .

I'm just relaying my experience with HBBC students. They held the position that if your church didnt have a certain pedigree or werent in line on this issue you were part of the "outer group" of the Bride.

I remember OBC had a few Ruckomonites at  different times while they were open. OBC did not have that position but had to address it . so i know you get students from other churches that dont come with the college/ church views

Saved by Grace said:
I wont profess to know the ins and outs of the SWBC  doctrine and i know there are a few "weirdos " in each school/ church .

I'm just relaying my experience with HBBC students. They held the position that if your church didnt have a certain pedigree or werent in line on this issue you were part of the "outer group" of the Bride.

I remember OBC had a few Ruckomonites at  different times while they were open. OBC did not have that position but had to address it . so i know you get students from other churches that dont come with the college/ church views
I can certainly vouch for that. While I can appreciate that SWBC does not split fellowship over closed vs close communion for instance, I can say with certainty that there are students there whose home church does. As a matter of fact, disagreeing with their home church on this topic would cause them to view others as not Baptist and not part of the Bride.

There are certainly students that come from a variety of backgrounds of independent Baptists. Some of which hold positions that Southwest may not necessarily agree with. Some are more liberal in some areas, and some are stricter in some areas.

I can say this from my time at Heartland and Southwest: neither are Briders and neither encourage Briderism. And after my time there, I view Briderism as heretical. I don't know what HBBC students you have spoken with, but as an alum, I apologize because that is not what HBBC or SWBC are about. I spent 3 years in the dorm, and 7 years either as a student or on staff. There are many...interesting...theological discussions that happen in a Bible college dormitory, but never once did I ever hear of Briderism spoken of in a positive light.

Justified said:
There are certainly students that come from a variety of backgrounds of independent Baptists. Some of which hold positions that Southwest may not necessarily agree with. Some are more liberal in some areas, and some are stricter in some areas.

I can say this from my time at Heartland and Southwest: neither are Briders and neither encourage Briderism. And after my time there, I view Briderism as heretical. I don't know what HBBC students you have spoken with, but as an alum, I apologize because that is not what HBBC or SWBC are about. I spent 3 years in the dorm, and 7 years either as a student or on staff. There are many...interesting...theological discussions that happen in a Bible college dormitory, but never once did I ever hear of Briderism spoken of in a positive light.
Just a simple point of clarity. As in every doctrine, there are "degrees", so too in "Briderism".

You mentioned a form, quite trict, in which only true Baptists make up the Bride and will be raptured (leading me to conclude that in that view, other saved people will be left behind), I have never actually run across that particular expression of that view. What I run across much more commonly is, all the saved will be raptured, but, only the Bride sits at the head table, the rest are merely guests at the marriage supper.

Drive around Washington State a little.

Justified said:

Does Southwest accept non-Baptist baptism?

ItinerantPreacher said:
What I run across much more commonly is, all the saved will be raptured, but, only the Bride sits at the head table, the rest are merely guests at the marriage supper.
Oh . . .  my . . .