The rich young ruler

Ransom said:
Anchor said:
Question remains, if he had sold/given would that have been sufficient for "heaven"?

Of course not. The ravings of our resident hyper-Dispensationalists aside, the way of salvation was always justification by faith, and never by mechanical obedience to a legal checklist. This is Paul's point in Galatians: Abraham was justified by his faith before there was a Law to obey, and what was begun by the Spirit of God could not be perfected by the flesh.

Jesus' point to the rich young ruler was that by his own standards he fell short. Only the new birth from above would bring him to saving faith.

Amen my brother.  All God, none of man. 

Ransom said:
RAIDER said:
Faith in what?

Faith in the promises of God. Ultimately, the promises of Scripture regarding Jesus Christ's ability to atone for sin.

It is a very interesting subject.  As I mentioned in a previous post, when I look at someone such as Moses or Noah we see great faith in God.  They followed the light they were given.  It makes me wonder how much of the redemptive plan that they know or understood.

Ransom said:
Anchor said:
Question remains, if he had sold/given would that have been sufficient for "heaven"?

Of course not. The ravings of our resident hyper-Dispensationalists aside, the way of salvation was always justification by faith, and never by mechanical obedience to a legal checklist. This is Paul's point in Galatians: Abraham was justified by his faith before there was a Law to obey, and what was begun by the Spirit of God could not be perfected by the flesh.

Jesus' point to the rich young ruler was that by his own standards he fell short. Only the new birth from above would bring him to saving faith.
3 things:
    1) Christ clearly says If you sell all and give then you will have "treasure in heaven."
    2) This is not inconsistent with other narratives; i.e.,the prostitute (Lk 7) and Zacchaeus (Lk 19)
    3) an objective response is absolutely necessary--"confess" and "believe"; "for with the heart man believeth unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

So the question remains, would the selling/giving have been a sufficient confession (open declaration) and/or evidence of belief as seems to be indicated in the statement of the Savior?

Anchor said:
Ransom said:
Anchor said:

3 things:
    1) Christ clearly says If you sell all and give then you will have "treasure in heaven."
    2) This is not inconsistent with other narratives; i.e.,the prostitute (Lk 7) and Zacchaeus (Lk 19)
    3) an objective response is absolutely necessary--"confess" and "believe"; "for with the heart man believeth unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

So the question remains, would the selling/giving have been a sufficient confession (open declaration) and/or evidence of belief as seems to be indicated in the statement of the Savior?

I have heard preachers use this story when preaching on repentance.

RAIDER said:
The same thought could apply to us.  If someone asked me if I was a law-abiding citizen, I would say, "Yes!" even though I have received a speeding ticket.

Absolutely Raider.

I have broken the U.S. Law before myself. Every U.S. Citizen has at one point or another in their lives.

But once we pay the fine specified by the Law, we have paid our debt, and we are once again abiding by the law.

The Scenario given above can be seen and in a way apply to how the Old Testament saints operated under the Mosaic Law.

There were enough provisions given in the Law so that when it was broken, in most cases, a sacrifice and trespass offering could be offered to God to atone for that sin and to cover it.

Once that sacrifice was made; and the priest's offered it up to God, the offender of the Mosaic Law was now once again, a Law abiding and Law keeping Israelite.

James 2:10  For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

This is not that hard...though David was a man after God's own heart and attempted to keep the law, he did not keep it...it is crazy to say David broke the law but he kept it, no he didn't, if he kept it then there would have been no need to have a sacrifice.  David was a sinner who needed a savior, and his Savior is the same as all who are saved...Jesus Christ the only Son of God!

Mathew Ward said:
James 2:10  For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Yep. And that is why there were provisions given in the Mosaic Law.

When a Jew sinned, he had to follow the law in dealing with his sin which he committed.

If he followed the provision given in the Law that dealt with the sin committed; then it would give him a righteousness that is of the law before God and that God would accept.

And therefore, the offending Israelite's sin would be covered.

Now the animal sacrifice could not clear the guilty, but it could cover the sin.

The Israelite's sin would not be taken away until the redemptive work of Christ was given on the Cross of Calvary.

Again; only the precious blood and atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ could purchase the eternal redemption of every saved person, in any dispensation.

"I voted for it before I voted against it. " ;)

Biblebeliever said:
Mathew Ward said:

Yep. And that is why there were provisions given in the Mosaic Law.

When a Jew sinned, he had to follow the law in dealing with his sin which he committed.

If he followed the provision given in the Law that dealt with the sin committed; then it would give him a righteousness that is of the law before God and that God would accept.

And therefore, the offending Israelite's sin would be covered.

Now the animal sacrifice could not clear the guilty, but it could cover the sin.

The Israelite's sin would not be taken away until the redemptive work of Christ was given on the Cross of Calvary.

Again; only the precious blood and atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ could purchase the eternal redemption of every saved person, in any dispensation.

I love the sometimes overlooked statement in this Scripture:

Luke 9:28-36

King James Version (KJV)

28 And it came to pass about an eight days after these sayings, he took Peter and John and James, and went up into a mountain to pray.

29 And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and his raiment was white and glistering.

30 And, behold, there talked with him two men, which were Moses and Elias:

31 Who appeared in glory, and spake of his decease which he should accomplish at Jerusalem.

Moses and Elijah knew that there sins had only been "covered".  They wanted to talk to Jesus about his final redemptive work.

Ransom said:
RAIDER said:
Faith in what?

Faith in the promises of God. Ultimately, the promises of Scripture regarding Jesus Christ's ability to atone for sin.
I must commend this post.
Taking God, which cannot lie, at His Word, is the faith required for regeneration.  Any child can believe that someone "bigger" than himself paid for a gift, and has promised to give it to them, if they will receive Him/it.
So much of the overboard repentence theory , that I hear, seems to put some merit back on the "sorry enough" sinner's side of the net
God made the promise.
God keeps the promise.
We inherit the promise.

What a deal!

Anishinaabe

Mathew Ward said:
This one has been playing in my head for days, since the OP.

Anishinaabe

rsc2a said:
"I voted for it before I voted against it. " ;)
Sounds familiar, huh?

It' s almost like Pensecola Pimp is here, on the forum.

Anishinaabe

RAIDER said:
Ransom said:
RAIDER said:
Faith in what?

It is a very interesting subject.  As I mentioned in a previous post, when I look at someone such as Moses or Noah we see great faith in God.  They followed the light they were given.  It makes me wonder how much of the redemptive plan that they know or understood.
Job 19:25-27
25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he will stand at the latter day upon the earth:26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
27 Whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

Anishinaabe

prophet said:
RAIDER said:
Ransom said:
RAIDER said:
Faith in what?

25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he will stand at the latter day upon the earth:26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
27 Whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

Anishinaabe

Great verses from one of the oldest books in Scripture.  Job knew there would be a redeemer.  I wonder how much Job knew about His redemptive work?

RAIDER said:
prophet said:
RAIDER said:
Ransom said:
RAIDER said:
Faith in what?

Anishinaabe

Great verses from one of the oldest books in Scripture.  Job knew there would be a redeemer.  I wonder how much Job knew about His redemptive work?
Rth 4:7
7 Now this was the manner in former time in Israel concerning redeeming and concerning changing, for confirming all things; a man plucked off his shoe, and gave it to his neighbor:and this was a testimony in Israel.

Seems they had a system.
Anishinaabe

prophet said:
RAIDER said:
Ransom said:
RAIDER said:
Faith in what?

Anishinaabe

Job took God at His word and believed that God would provide for Him a Redeemer.

Romans 10:17  So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Seems that we do the same today. We take God at His word and believe God has provided for our redemption in Christ the Redeemer.

Mathew Ward said:
Job took God at His word and believed that God would provide for Him a Redeemer.

Seems that we do the same today. We take God at His word and believe God has provided for our redemption in Christ the Redeemer.

I have found it interesting as I read the Gospels that the disciples walked with Christ yet had no real clue about His redemptive work.  They believed He was the Messiah.  They believed He was God's Son.  They were ready for Him to set up His kingdom, not die on a cross for their sins.

RAIDER said:
Mathew Ward said:

I have found it interesting as I read the Gospels that the disciples walked with Christ yet had no real clue about His redemptive work.  They believed He was the Messiah.  They believed He was God's Son.  They were ready for Him to set up His kingdom, not die on a cross for their sins.
Peter seemed to think that he was the next Great Gladiator.

Anishinaabe

Peter seemed to think that he was the next Great Gladiator.

Anishinaabe
[/quote]

:)