The Super Bowl and Sunday evening services

FSSL said:
So it isn't that you really think that highly, it is more of your priorities and tradition. :)

:) no.

The difference is, I'm not asking the church as a whole to cancel and go on vacation with me.

Bruh said:
FSSL said:
So it isn't that you really think that highly, it is more of your priorities and tradition. :)

:) no.

The difference is, I'm not asking the church as a whole to cancel and go on vacation with me.

Why not? Sounds like a fun time to me.

FSSL said:
Isn't this a perfect example of how a tradition (Sunday evening service) is sacred?

Isn't this a perfect example of how carnal American Christianity has become?

Tom Brennan said:
FSSL said:
Isn't this a perfect example of how a tradition (Sunday evening service) is sacred?

Yes, it is.  It's open defiance of Jesus' command to "go to church" every Sunday evening.

Tom Brennan said:

If you're talking about your Semi Pelagian, self works righteousness, trying to impress God with your "Three-to-thrive" theology?, then I would say yes!!!

Or does your next book have a chapter on that too?

It's called America Christianity, my Southern Baptist pastor was preaching about it Sunday morning.

American Christianity verses the The Gospel Jesus taught.

American Christianity = say a prayer and ur a Christian and life after "salvation" = No sacrifice

The Gospel Jesus taught = I surrender all.

Our Church cancels evening service on Mother's Day, Father's Day and Easter so that family can spend time together.

Doesn't family get together for the Super Bowl?

Church was fairly empty last night.

Hold a business meeting and resolve that any members not present are to be publicly whacked with a rubber chicken on the following Sunday.

Bruh said:
It's called America Christianity, my Southern Baptist pastor was preaching about it Sunday morning.

American Christianity = say a prayer and ur a Christian and life after "salvation" = No sacrifice

It's called modern-day American fundamentalism. Before Thomas Edison, American Christianity didn't meet in the evenings.

Although, most of the people I talk with didn't seem to have a problem with it. With seven services a weekend (not counting the two at our satellite church), there's plenty of opportunity for the people to attend a service. Missing one isn't going to make someone a bad Christian. Although in the eyes of some, it might.

::)  ;D

FSSL said:
Bruh said:

It's called modern-day American fundamentalism. Before Thomas Edison, American Christianity didn't meet in the evenings.

Because meeting more, will in no way, help.

Bruh said:
FSSL said:
Bruh said:

Because meeting more, will in no way, help.

I certainly won't hurt.

We stopped having regular Sunday night services some years ago. We do have two 'semesters' of classes on Sunday evenings twice each year.
So, I'm not guilty of cancelling for only the Super Bowl.  :)

We had 6 different church functions on Super Bowl Sunday.
1.  Sunday School
2.  AM Service
3.  Family study
4.  Teen group meeting (they kinda had a party)
5.  Evening Service
6.  Serving dinner at a homeless shelter

And we watched the super bowl

Every 5th Sunday we take the Lords Supper and don't have church that Sunday night.

I have no issue with this, but if he was going to cancel for a "football game" yeah I'd take issue with this..,,

Web said:
Tom Brennan said:
FSSL said:

No, not at all.

I may or may not agree. My point with the question was to illustrate the broad-brushing absurdity of the prior question.

...apparently that whoosh sound you just heard was that point flying over the heads of the collective forum.

Tom Brennan said:
Web said:
Tom Brennan said:
FSSL said:

No, not at all.

I may or may not agree. My point with the question was to illustrate the broad-brushing absurdity of the prior question.

...apparently that whoosh sound you just heard was that point flying over the heads of the collective forum.

Some of us 'got it', Tom.
Remember, some here don't think your (IFB) stopped clock is right twice a day....  :)

[/quote

While not widespread evening services did occur with some regularity. There's a paining by either Don Troiani or Mort Kunstler depicting a troop of Confederate cavalry passing a Presbyterian church in VA just as midweek services are letting out. The ground is covered in snow. Since both of these men only depict actual incidents of the War Between the States It's a safe bet that it happened.

Jubal Sackett

Jubal Sackett said:
There's a paining by either Don Troiani or Mort Kunstler depicting a troop of Confederate cavalry passing a Presbyterian church in VA just as midweek services are letting out. The ground is covered in snow.

The ground is covered in snow?  Clearly that means it was a midweek evening service.  There's never snow on the ground during the day or on weekends.

Well, America is doing so well spiritually, I guess, I can see why some would say, no need for Sunday evening services.

Web said:
Many pastors of any ilk attend Sunday evening services for decades, but still fall into sin, sexual and otherwise.  Attending a Sunday night service is not the end all to protect from that.

Obviously the answer is for services to be 24/7 and for everyone to spend 100% of their free time at those services, so they won't fall into sin.