The Worthless Thread for Specifically Increasing Post Numbers

There's one remaining survivor of the USS Arizona. I can't find a precise number of Pearl Harbor survivors in toto that are still alive, but it looks to be somewhere around 30 from what I can infer.

Certainly can't be too many left. Assuming they were 18 on Dec. 7, 1941, they're all centenarians now.
Reminds me of a good friend who recently passed away at 98 years old.
He was a Navy veteran of the Pacific War, fought on 3 different islands including Iwo Jima and Guam.
He must have qualified with the M1 b/c he actually fought as an infantryman.
I had the honor of officiating his funeral.

My understanding is that there is only one Pearl Harbor survivor left!

I was with the Enterprise Battle Group during WESTPAC 1986. We manned the rails as we pulled into Pearl Harbor and rendered full honors to all of the fallen battleships on Battleship Row culminating with the USS Arizona. Quite a moving experience!
they still do that today any time a us navy ship comes into pearl harbor.. ... sometimes even a foreign navy ship renders honors..... it;s an awesome thing to see and one i never get tired of......

lou conter is the last officially recognized survivor of the uss arizona... but there is a lot of controversy over who all the rest of the remaining survivors of the pearl harbor attack are... .. and precisely what qualifies some of them to be called a survivor..... . most people agree that it should be member of the u.s. military who were present at pearl harbor either on board a ship or on duty during the attack... .....but some think others such as civilian fire fighters on duty that day as well as other civilians working around the harbor who came under attack should be considered.....

there are still a lot of people alive who witnessed the attack. mostly civilians... and who can give graphic details of what happened..... including my current sunday school teacher

Last edited:
I met a man who was on the Nevada the day of the attack at Pearl.

I also met a man who was a survivor of the USS Indianapolis and another who was a code talker. Both were at the Veterans Hospital nursing home.

So much personal history lost forever. I wonder if those who were born again will be able to recall and retell their stories in eternity?

There's one remaining survivor of the USS Arizona. I can't find a precise number of Pearl Harbor survivors in toto that are still alive, but it looks to be somewhere around 30 from what I can infer.

Certainly can't be too many left. Assuming they were 18 on Dec. 7, 1941, they're all centenarians now.
true.... my sunday school teacher was still in elementary school when she saw the attack begin... and she recently turned 90.....

true.... my sunday school teacher was still in elementary school when she saw the attack begin... and she recently turned 90.....

I wonder if WW2 is a recent enough event that we still think of it as modern history rather than something that happened 80+ years ago.

I wonder if WW2 is a recent enough event that we still think of it as modern history rather than something that happened 80+ years ago.
i think some historians even consider world war 1 to be part of the modern age... because it involved weapons and technology that are still in use today..... ..but if people are still alive that can remember an event then they definitely consider it modern as it can still be having direct effects on todays events and decisions through those people who rememebr..... .....once they are all gone it will have secondary effects through people who were influenced.. raised.. or educated by the direct witnesses... ....

When my parents were born, the American Civil War was 80 years in the past. My grandkids are in school right now and will be learning about WW2 from about the same perspective as my parents did about the Civil War! They will be amazed that I actually knew men who served during WW2 including a handful who were still on active duty when I joined the Navy in the 80s!

I guess you could call the Civil War a "Modern War" back then because they had Gatling guns, repeating rifles, revolver pistols, ironclad ships, and photography.

And 20 years from now, I will have great grandkids learning about the Vietnam War from this very same perspective! Crazy thing though is that the B-52 will likely still be flying during that time!

I guess you could call the Civil War a "Modern War" back then because they had Gatling guns, repeating rifles, revolver pistols, ironclad ships, and photography.
Correct. In terms of technology (as you alluded), the Civil War is considered the first “modern” war, although much of the technology didn’t actually appear until the last year or so of the war. Don’t forget, submarines appeared in that war, although very antiquated by modern standards.

i think some historians even consider world war 1 to be part of the modern age...

The so-called "modern" era actually starts around 1500. I meant "modern" more informally: a world that (as you say) is at a roughly equal technological level, and still within living memory, at least for a few people. And yet people born during WW2, like my parents, would have no memory of it, and are at the very least now approaching 80.

WW2 wasn't that long ago in the grand scheme of things, but it won't be long before reading stories about people living through it will be kind of like my generation reading LIttle House on the Prairie.

The so-called "modern" era actually starts around 1500. I meant "modern" more informally: a world that (as you say) is at a roughly equal technological level, and still within living memory, at least for a few people. And yet people born during WW2, like my parents, would have no memory of it, and are at the very least now approaching 80.

WW2 wasn't that long ago in the grand scheme of things, but it won't be long before reading stories about people living through it will be kind of like my generation reading LIttle House on the Prairie.
it;s kinda like that now with me.... when i hear my sunday school teacher talk about life around the time of world war 2 it is a lot like little house on the prarie... . she grew up in a plantation house on land still being used to grow sugar cane... ...some of the quaint old houses are still here in various honolulu neighborhoods... but the plantations are gone and those houses are surrounded by high rises.... the church she stood in front of and watched when the pearl harbor attack began could have fit right into the little house on the prarie movie set... ... it;s very hard for people in my generation to relate or even imagine what it must have been like back then - when most of the technology we take for granted did not exist... ....

and yet... we are surrounded by relics and reminders of world war 2 all over these islands.... and not just the plantation houses or even the bullet riddled buildings at hickham and pearl harbor..... there are countless concrete bunkers.. and even hastily built stone bunkers all over oahu... most are covered by jungle foiliage and unknown to all but a few of us...but some are still being used for other purposes by the military and civil defense today.... .

Just out of curiosity, why around the year 1500?

Probably because there were some major watershed events that occurred around that time: the fall of Constantinople, the Reformation, the invention of movable type, the beginning of the Tudor dynasty, the Copernican revolution...

it;s kinda like that now with me.... when i hear my sunday school teacher talk about life around the time of world war 2 it is a lot like little house on the prarie... . she grew up in a plantation house on land still being used to grow sugar cane... ...some of the quaint old houses are still here in various honolulu neighborhoods... but the plantations are gone and those houses are surrounded by high rises.... the church she stood in front of and watched when the pearl harbor attack began could have fit right into the little house on the prarie movie set... ... it;s very hard for people in my generation to relate or even imagine what it must have been like back then - when most of the technology we take for granted did not exist... ....

and yet... we are surrounded by relics and reminders of world war 2 all over these islands.... and not just the plantation houses or even the bullet riddled buildings at hickham and pearl harbor..... there are countless concrete bunkers.. and even hastily built stone bunkers all over oahu... most are covered by jungle foiliage and unknown to all but a few of us...but some are still being used for other purposes by the military and civil defense today.... .
I was asked to teach this coming Wednesday service. Typically, what I do is teach from a passage I have recently read during my own quiet time. I'm just beginning the book of Judges and thought chapter two would make for a good study. As I delved into the passage, the desire to give context took me to Joshua 24. Between these two chapters, there are some places named, namely, Shechem, Bochim (Bethel) and Gilgal. Each of these places are significant in the history of Israel at the time of Joshua and the Judges. These places were called out as places where God affirmed His covenant with Israel. The Israelis were to keep these places as monuments to His faithfulness. Their history is to be a reminder to the nation of their heritage. Your experiences on the island of Oahu are a perfect illustration of some of the points I want to make. Bless you.

I was asked to teach this coming Wednesday service. Typically, what I do is teach from a passage I have recently read during my own quiet time. I'm just beginning the book of Judges and thought chapter two would make for a good study. As I delved into the passage, the desire to give context took me to Joshua 24. Between these two chapters, there are some places named, namely, Shechem, Bochim (Bethel) and Gilgal. Each of these places are significant in the history of Israel at the time of Joshua and the Judges. These places were called out as places where God affirmed His covenant with Israel. The Israelis were to keep these places as monuments to His faithfulness. Their history is to be a reminder to the nation of their heritage. Your experiences on the island of Oahu are a perfect illustration of some of the points I want to make. Bless you.
when the battleship missouri was decommissioned and brought to pearl harbor it was moored right behind the arizona memorial.... . the intent was to show where world war 2 officially started... (at least for the united states).... and the ship on whose decks it officially ended.... ...and it does a great job of serving as a reminder and also instilling national pride.... ....... but there was one objection to the idea from the moment it was first conceived..... a group led by officials from japan... assisted by some local japanese americans.. tried to say bringing the missouri here would be seen as an insult to japanese tourists..... ironically some of the objection came from the national park service itself who manages the memorial and the visitor center... . they were afraid the missouri would garner too much attention and overshadow the message they wanted to tell about the the arizona and the "day of infamy".....

but all that was brushed aside and today the missouri makes the perfect back drop for the arizona next to ford island.... of course people can take whatever message from it they want..... i don;t know how many... if any.. japanese tourists visit the missouri.... but thousands of them visit the arizona memorial every year.... . they are all very respectful... but i sometimes wonder what they tell people back home in japan about it..... ..i know from a friend back in japan who use to be a room mate of mine that some schools in japan still teach that ww2 started with the u.s. dropping the atomic bomb.... and that the sinking of the arizona was done in retaliation....

there is also a monument in japan to the japanese pilot who crashed his zero on niihau after it was damaged in the pearl harbor attack... they laud him as a national hero - even though his efforts..(successful efforts).. to enlist local japanese americans on niihau into joining him to fight a small scale war on that island ...against the other inhabitants - is what directly led to the internment of japaneses americans all over the west coast of the u.s. mainland during the war......

the left .. and practically all japanese everywhere... claims it;s racist to even bring that incident up now.... and they do all they can to erase accurate information about it.... but they can;t stop taking about how wrong the internment of japanese americans was... ..but all that to say this -- - it;s imperative that we preserve reminders of our history and that we make certain it not only tells the true story - but the whole story.....

arizonamissourimemorial.jpeg

Kauai-Tour-2-Pearl-Harbor-Oahu-Island-Tour.jpeg

Last edited:
this is what a typical plantation house on oahu looks like.... though some are a little larger
- built for plantation workers and their families... .they are all built with big windows that

took advantage of breezes, and large over hanging eves that helped block direct sunlight
from coming into the windows.... ...very lightly built but actually very comfortable to live
in in a tropical environment..... oddly enough many of these houses well over 100 years old

still survive all over oahu... .. some are even being restored and "modernized"
oldplantationhouse33.jpeg

kuauoceanelevated1.jpeg

kaimuki-historic-plantation-house-cover.jpeg

Last edited:
Cute bungalows...
most of them around town are not in that good of condition.... .and some are dilapidated and condemned.... but people still live in them.... the house we lived in when i first moved in with my family was built in the same plantation style but had never been a plantation house....it had been built during world war 2 in the old fort ruger area - next to diamond head - to house military officers..... it was larger than a true plantation house too and had more rooms.... ...but it no longer exists.... it was torn down sometime in the mid 2000s when they cleared out all the old fort ruger buildings to make room for new development..... ....so much history destroyed and lost for a little extra money......

Video game addiction
Social media addiction
Online gambling
Online sports betting
Online shopping addiction