This Forum Needs a Revival

16KJV11

Doctor
Reaction score
It is Dead around here!  Somebody needs to stir things up!  Where's TRB when we need him most?

We should make it a rule that you can post ONLY if you’re wearing your Sunday best...as defined by those who walk the old path!
That will bring revival anywhere, any time.

We should make it a rule that you can post ONLY if you’re wearing your Sunday best...as defined by those who walk the old path!
That will bring revival anywhere, any time.
And don't forget that wearing wire rimmed glasses is anathema. No revival would be complete without burning all eyeglasses except horn rimmed glasses.
bob.jpg

And don't forget that wearing wire rimmed glasses is anathema. No revival would be complete without burning all eyeglasses except horn rimmed glasses.
bob.jpg

That's no good either! His hair is parted in the middle.

You mean like a Finney-style tent revival?

Speaking of Finney, I've heard that he may have done more harm than good - anyone else hear this or believe this? I don't know much about him, so I'm not sure how accurate that assessment is.

Speaking of Finney, I've heard that he may have done more harm than good - anyone else hear this or believe this? I don't know much about him, so I'm not sure how accurate that assessment is.

According to B. B. Warfield, quoting Joseph Ives Foot (presumably his 1838 book Influence of Pelagianism on the Theological Course of Rev. C. G. Finney:

"During ten years, hundreds, and perhaps thousands, were annually reported to be converted on all hands; but now it is admitted, that his (Finney's) real converts are comparatively few. It is declared, even by himself, that 'the great body of them are a disgrace to religion’; as a consequence of these defections, practical evils, great, terrible, and innumerable, are in various quarters rushing in on the Church." (Warfield, Studies in Perfectionism, vol. 2, I.1 (see this page)

Warfield continues to say that Finney himself was aware of the paucity of genuine converts amongst those he had preached to, and blamed their failure to persevere on his failure to preach perfectionism to them.

The western end of New York was known as the "burned-over district," because it had been host to so many revivals (in which Finney played a huge part), and so many fallings-away, that there was a general attitude there of religious skepticism. So yeah--Finney most definitely did more harm than good.

Finney didn't believe that Christ was sufficient.

The first thing we must note about the atonement, Finney says, is that Christ could not have died for anyone else’s sins than his own. His obedience to the law and his perfect righteousness were sufficient to save him, but could not legally be accepted on behalf of others. That Finney’s whole theology is driven by a passion for moral improvement is seen on this very point: "If he [Christ] had obeyed the Law as our substitute, then why should our own return to personal obedience be insisted upon as a sine qua non of our salvation" (p.206)? In other words, why would God insist that we save ourselves by our own obedience if Christ’s work was sufficient? The reader should recall the words of St. Paul in this regard, "I do not nullify the grace of God’, for if justification comes through the law, then Christ died for nothing." It would seem that Finney’s reply is one of agreement. The difference is, he has no difficulty believing both of those premises.

Finney didn't believe that Christ was sufficient.
Unchecked Copy Box
1Pe 1:18 - Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold,from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
Unchecked Copy Box
1Pe 1:19 - But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: