Thoughts on Knowing vs Feeling in Worship

admin said:
I am currently parked in Ravenna, OH. Internet very poor in the State Park here.

Just a question.... if it is wrong for me to make a judgment on this snippet... why is it right for you to make a judgment?

My "judgment" was in agreement with the general principle that emotions should be informed by propositional truth.  Your "judgment" was that he took this out of context, despite the fact that you only have a couple of minutes of the sermon.  It seems in your rush to defend CCM you are willing to let reasonableness to fly right out the window.

ALAYMAN said:
My "judgment" was in agreement with the general principle that emotions should be informed by propositional truth.  Your "judgment" was that he took this out of context, despite the fact that you only have a couple of minutes of the sermon.  It seems in your rush to defend CCM you are willing to let reasonableness to fly right out the window.

Two different standards.

My judgment is that the application cannot be taken from that passage. A more full context will not change this fact.

Even so... you made a judgment based on the very same video. You believe that the application can be taken from that passage. NOT because you have any more context than I do. You are willing to allow for this eisegetical interpretation for at least three reasons: 1) Begg said it; 2) You think applications can be made from meanings foreign to the passage; 3) You misidentified the doctrine being taught in this passage; 4) Begg said it.

So... how am I to believe that you really believe that "emotions should be informed by propositional truth" when there is not a hint, in this passage, about emotions and worship.

Your emotions and argument are NOT derived from the meaning of this passage. You are willing to toss the meaning of this passage in favor of an application that fits your perspective. You have demonstrated that the personality overrides any argument.

FSSL said:
ALAYMAN said:

Two different standards.

My judgment is that the application cannot be taken from that passage. A more full context will not change this fact.

Even so... you made a judgment based on the very same video. You believe that the application can be taken from that passage. NOT because you have any more context than I do. You are willing to allow for this eisegetical interpretation for at least three reasons: 1) Begg said it; 2) You think applications can be made from meanings foreign to the passage; 3) You misidentified the doctrine being taught in this passage; 4) Begg said it.

So... how am I to believe that you really believe that "emotions should be informed by propositional truth" when there is not a hint, in this passage, about emotions and worship.

Your emotions and argument are NOT derived from the meaning of this passage. You are willing to toss the meaning of this passage in favor of an application that fits your perspective. You have demonstrated that the personality overrides any argument.

I could elaborate on the concept of emotions being natural reactions to propositional truth (as freelance Christian also rightly observed), but until you quit obfuscating and produce the rest of the sermon there really isn't much more to talk about, as you're going in circles.