Topics IFB Pastors Avoid in Their Preaching

Gluttony
Laziness
Remarriage
When I was about 12 years old, I can vividly recall a visiting guest preacher publicly fat shaming a rather large lady in the audience. Everyone was aghast and needless to say, he was never invited to speak again. Oddly enough, he’s the only black speaker I can recall that we ever had speak from the pulpit.

When I was about 12 years old, I can vividly recall a visiting guest preacher publicly fat shaming a rather large lady in the audience. Everyone was aghast and needless to say, he was never invited to speak again. Oddly enough, he’s the only black speaker I can recall that we ever had speak from the pulpit.
my dad developed a rather low opinion of obese people during the years he was a paramedic... .. but i don;t think it was the people themselves... it was the super sized ones who lived on high floors with no elevators and had to be carried down multiple flights of stairs in an emergency... or who fell in the bathroom and got wedged between the toilet and bathtub - then had to pryed out and maybe also carried down multiple flights of stairs...... (we heard about it every time he came home in pain after such a call)...

but he doesn;t feel that way anymore.. not since he retired and got rather fa ..🫢 .. ummm... large himself.... 🤭 ....

my dad developed a rather low opinion of obese people during the years he was a paramedic... .. but i don;t think it was the people themselves... it was the super sized ones who lived on high floors with no elevators and had to be carried down multiple flights of stairs in an emergency... or who fell in the bathroom and got wedged between the toilet and bathtub - then had to pryed out and maybe also carried down multiple flights of stairs...... (we heard about it every time he came home in pain after such a call)...

but he doesn;t feel that way anymore.. not since he retired and got rather fa ..🫢 .. ummm... large himself.... 🤭 ....
LOL…poor dad, cut him some slack. 😎

I'm told of a story involving my dad...

As a young man in the 1930s, Dad lived in NYC. One of the jobs he had was working for a morgue. As one could expect, one of his responsibilities was to drive the hearse to wherever a "client" was located. He and a partner would load said client on a stretcher and carry them out of their apartment. Elevators were very rare in these apartments so bodies often had to be carried down multiple flights of stairs. My dad was a fairly good sized guy; 6', 180lbs... but sometimes the partner he was paired up with was a tiny guy.. 5'3", 120.

One particular call was to pick up a rather obese fella who lived several floors up. Being the bigger of the two, my dad was carrying the heavier head end of the stretcher as his partner was at the lighter foot end. As they were jostling the stretcher down the stairs, gasses that remained inside the deceased's body often escaped making that well known noise while his family was watching in the stairwell above. About halfway down the stairs, Dad's partner got frustrated and blurted out, "if this [expletive] guy keeps this up, I'm going to make him walk the rest of the way down!" It was all my dad could do to hold back his laughter.

that;s right.... they don;t.... coz then they might have to use that word by which the universal church is called.... (and i don;t mean the one in rome).... catholic.... :sneaky:
<ahem>

It’s, if you’re gonna represent a good IFB, cat-lick.

😁

I'm told of a story involving my dad...

As a young man in the 1930s, Dad lived in NYC. One of the jobs he had was working for a morgue. As one could expect, one of his responsibilities was to drive the hearse to wherever a "client" was located. He and a partner would load said client on a stretcher and carry them out of their apartment. Elevators were very rare in these apartments so bodies often had to be carried down multiple flights of stairs. My dad was a fairly good sized guy; 6', 180lbs... but sometimes the partner he was paired up with was a tiny guy.. 5'3", 120.

One particular call was to pick up a rather obese fella who lived several floors up. Being the bigger of the two, my dad was carrying the heavier head end of the stretcher as his partner was at the lighter foot end. As they were jostling the stretcher down the stairs, gasses that remained inside the deceased's body often escaped making that well known noise while his family was watching in the stairwell above. About halfway down the stairs, Dad's partner got frustrated and blurted out, "if this [expletive] guy keeps this up, I'm going to make him walk the rest of the way down!" It was all my dad could do to hold back his laughter.
for a long time i took care of all my dads uniforms for him.... but quite often he brought them home in a sealed bag and wouldn;t let anyone touch them.... (that was before they instituted contamination protocols in their department)..... he always put those into a huge plastic washtub and poured a ton of hydrogen peroxide on them and let it sit until it stopped foaming..... then later rinsed them and soaked them again in bleach and detergent..... and left them there a few hours before putting them into the washing machine by themselves.... ...sometimes he would tell us the stories of what happened and sometimes he wouldn;t .... i learned that if he didn;t volunteer that information, then it was better not to ask.....

but while he was writing some of the accounts of a few of those calls on the old forum in the early 2000s..... i rememebr fundamentalists xers on the site were preaching on a subject fundamentalists do like to preach about... and that was how women had no business working as paramedics... firefighters... police officers... or doing any job that might put them in authority over a man... or require them to wear a uniform with pants or that might look like a mans uniform..... some of them just flat out didn;t want women working outside the home at all...... not even those who were single and destined to always be single.....

but i don;t think even my sunday school teacher represents a good ifb that well..... .. and she actually use to be one..... :cool:

Really? I know you’ve said she’s really conservative, but I hadn’t heard you say she is former IFB. Interesting 🤨

my dad developed a rather low opinion of obese people ... had to be carried down multiple flights of stairs in an emergency ... and maybe also carried down multiple flights of stairs......

Am I detecting a kind of common complaint? :)

Gluttony
Laziness
Remarriage
When I was a very young believer, the first Pastor of the first Baptist church I attended was a GARBC guy. He said he could never understand how men who are 350 lbs could stand in the pulpit and say, "Moderation in all things." It stuck with me for 35 years.

Racism

Not the woke verion but disliking people, prejudging them or even hating them becaise of their skin color or nationality.

I believe many minorities will not be in Heraven because many Christians struggle with this.

Last edited:
Theodicy: The vindication of divine goodness and providence in view of the existence of evil.

The many reasons bad things happen to good people and why God allows it.

Am I detecting a kind of common complaint? :)
probably... but that;s just me talking.... pain and fatigue was the common complaint back then.. ..now it;s just constant pain.... but what was much more common back then .... (according to one of his former coworkers).... was him going forward any time something or someone heavy had to be moved.... and everyone else... even the firefighters... stepping back..... (unless the collapsed person was an attractive female - coz then the firefighters pushed each other out of the way to get hands on her first).... :rolleyes:. . ........that former coworker died of diabetic complications a few years ago..... which is another common thing among retired first responders who worked 24/7 for decades and ran all night on high carbs and caffiene....

it;s all been in the front of my mind lately because i have been helping my sister fight with the state insurance company who seems to believe people who repeatedly sacrifice their own health and safety to save the lives of others, should just be willing to go away and die after they retire.... rather than expect insurance to help with any medical problems the job might have left them with.....

Last edited:
Our senior pastor started a series this past Sunday on 1 Corinthians. It's funny because I had been thinking earlier that week, "Gee, I'd love to hear him do an expository series on 1 Corinthians," when I didn't know that was going to happen. An answer to prayer, I guess.

Anyway, knowing what that book is all about, I imagine there are going to be quite a few uncomfortable subjects broached: sexuality (of both the licit and illicit kind), intra-church politics, the roles of women, contributing to church life via the use of spiritual gifts...

Immorality in the ranks, ie, Jack Schaap, Bob Grey, Truman Dollar (while loudly disclaiming Swaggart, Haggard, Baker, et al perverts)