Topics IFB Pastors Avoid in Their Preaching

Immorality in the ranks, ie, Jack Schaap, Bob Grey, Truman Dollar (while loudly disclaiming Swaggart, Haggard, Baker, et al perverts)
I remember Swaggart decrying some preacher, Jim Bakker I think it was, calling him a "cancer" soon to himself be exposed for shagging a prostitute.

I remember Swaggart decrying some preacher, Jim Bakker I think it was, calling him a "cancer" soon to himself be exposed for shagging a prostitute.
Not exactly. Jimmy was from the MC Hammer school of licentiousness….

“Can’t touch this” 😉

Voyeurism was his thang.

Not exactly. Jimmy was from the MC Hammer school of licentiousness….

“Can’t touch this” 😉

Voyeurism was his thang.
Then who got popped for propositioning a prostitute? I thought it was Swaggert in Baton Rouge.

Then who got popped for propositioning a prostitute? I thought it was Swaggert in Baton Rouge.
Yes, correct on the location and sort of right on the prostitution thing, but she testified there was never any touching of each other.

Swaggart was caught with a prostitute in 1988 (the infamous "Ah have sinned" scandal) and again in 1991. In neither case, so far as I am aware, was he caught in flagrante delicto, though he was removed from ministry both times.

I could plausibly see the 1988 scandal as a set-up (the men who photographed him with the prostitute were associated with Marvin Gorman, another Assemblies of God minister whom Swaggart was instrumental in having defrocked for a sex scandal of his own). But the second time establishes a pattern. Something tells me Gorman didn't have to work very hard to entrap Swaggart.

Ok... this is a while back so I'll defer to your superior memories. I just remember Swaggart using the word cancer to describe someone and thinking "how interesting". 🤔

Ok... this is a while back so I'll defer to your superior memories. I just remember Swaggart using the word cancer to describe someone and thinking "how interesting". 🤔

No, you were right about that. Swaggart said Bakker was a "cancer in the body of Christ" when the Jessica Hahn scandal broke.

So did Jerry Falwell, but he didn't have a hooker scandal shoved into his closet.

I could imagine certain IFB Preechers purposefully staying away from any sort of expositional style teaching and preaching so they would not be mistaken for being influenced by anyone of the likes of John MacArthur!

I could imagine certain IFB Preechers purposefully staying away from any sort of expositional style teaching and preaching so they would not be mistaken for being influenced by anyone of the likes of John MacArthur!

Heaven forbid!

The real advantage of expositional teaching is its real disadvantage in IFB circles: it is a check against the Manna God coming back to his hobby horses over and over, because he's got nothing better to say.

"How maintaining a ministry with a digital footprint is one way of becoming all things to all men in our technologically connected society."

I don't know a single IFB preacher who has a problem with expositional style teaching and preaching. I is a very effective preaching style and method used by many.

I thought the issues many IFB preachers have with John MacArthur was his position on the necessity of the Blood of Jesus?

I think some here refer to the IFB position as "Magic Blood Theory".

I thought the issues many IFB preachers have with John MacArthur was his position on the necessity of the Blood of Jesus?

Which is interesting to me since I remember more than a couple IFB preachers decrying denominations that eliminate the blood from their proclamation of the Gospel.

I don't know a single IFB preacher who has a problem with expositional style teaching and preaching. I is a very effective preaching style and method used by many.
I seem to recall Jackie-boy denouncing expositional preaching.

I know my former pastor, Hammond-born and FBCH-bred (and multiple pics of Hyles in his office), had problems with it.

It has been over 20 years since I had anything to do with the IFB movement so perhaps I may still be stuck in the '90s but the bottom line is that many IFB types were just plain jealous and petty towards anything MacArthur said or did!

The Homiletics teacher in the "Back Room Bible Institute" that I graduated from taught that expositional preaching was a "Lazy Man's way out" of message preparation! Real Preechers therefore use a springboard text and a "three points and a poem" outline!

Good for me that my pastor did not model such nonsense himself.

And yes, certain IFBers have taken some really ridiculous and even heretical positions on the "Blood of Jesus!" Jesus is truly and fully Human and the blood he shed on the cross was therefore HUMAN blood - and having 46 chromosomes no less!

I seem to recall Jackie-boy denouncing expositional preaching.

I know my former pastor, Hammond-born and FBCH-bred (and multiple pics of Hyles in his office), had problems with it.
Yes, especially the HACkers!

Most of the HAC grads just "Polly Parrot" Jack Hyles's inane messages!

Real Preechers therefore use a springboard text and a "three points and a poem" outline!

Back on the original FFF, for a while I did a weekly thing where I posted a random Bible verse and invited sermon treatments.

It was all tongue-in-cheek, of course, but it was surprising how many pet topics could be found in a random verse using this or similar cookie-cutter techniques--and hence which one was really the lazy approach.

“1 Thessalonians 5:22 and other verses lifted from their context to combat the evils of horned-rimmed glasses and the Backstreet Boys”

“1 Thessalonians 5:22 and other verses lifted from their context to combat the evils of horned-rimmed glasses and the Backstreet Boys”
Ok... that was random.

I guess point proven.