traditonal archery... .(plus some medieval and primitive kinds too)

i have never made bouncing arrows like this... they are mostly for hunting ducks on
still ponds where the water surface is flat..... i don;t know how legal that is on the
mainland... ..but it would interesting to try if i ever make it back to the mainland
and decide to hunt ducks....
(not likely)

i was looking this over.... and it is actually possible to make the same type of arrows without having an elaborate
workshop and specialized tools....and without the need to work with wooden arrow shafts..... .

the same thing can be done using a large oval fishing float ... which the appropriate sized hole would be drilled
through.... an aluminum or carbon arrow shaft inserted through it ... and a standard blunt or small game arrow
head installed... ...it would most likely be a one time use arrow - especially if hunting ducks with it..... but it
would work..... i am thinking of putting one together and if i do i;ll post a picture of it in the future..... not
sure i would ever use an arrow like that though... . it would be useless on the surface of the ocean.... but
i could add it to my arrow museum...:cool:... will have to go find the right sized fishing float ..:unsure:...

309f2.jpeg

5810x.jpeg

agincourt... 1415.... . this video is part of kevin hicks 100 years war series...
i didn;t post very many of them but this one concerns one of the most important
and pivotal battles in english history... .and one that solidified the reputation of
englands yeoman archers who stood to serve the king any time he called .....

hicks was famous as the warwick castle archer and also the spokesman and historian for the robin hood tree
at sherwood forest... he now lives in canada and that;s where has been making the videos he puts on youtube....

ac14195fd0482df43f88a0b563352b42.jpeg

a spoof video poking fun of a variety of different you tubers.... :cool:.

(by the way.... my dad has one of these same warbows that he shoots all the time....
his warbow is not as powerful as the one in the video and only rated at 110 pounds...
...... but then again he;s 65 years old!.... )

e1d27be3b09252bb512367f2c1b6ac50.png

Last edited:
a spoof video poking fun of a variety of different you tubers.... :cool:.

(by the way.... my dad has one of these same warbows that he shoots all the time....
his warbow is not as powerful as the one in the video and only rated at 110 pounds...
...... but then again he;s 65 years old!.... )

View attachment 5452
Wow, I wonder if I could pull 65 on a bow? A pull of 110 is even harder to understand. Was that what the longbow pull was in the medieval time?

Wow, I wonder if I could pull 65 on a bow? A pull of 110 is even harder to understand. Was that what the longbow pull was in the medieval time?
it was once believed by most historians that in the medieval age the most powerful longbows used in warfare could only have varied between 90 to 110 pounds draw weight... .. (they didn;t believe the human body could do better than that even with training ... and even knowing that boys were trained from the age of 7 in medieval wales and england).....

but then a few historians began claiming medieval warbows must have gone up to 160 pounds after howard hill proved a longbow of 160 pounds draw could be handled without difficulty by a man well trained and conditioned from his early teens..... he used a longbow of 160 pounds draw in his prime to hunt the big 5 game animals in africa... ...... but then when the ship mary rose was raised, longbows still in their watertight protective containers were recovered and measured.... and they started at 130 pounds minimum all the way up to 200 pounds draw... .

...none of those bows had been used yet when the mary rose sank.... and they were so well preserved that they could still be strung and shot almost 500 years later .... or in the case of the super heavy bows strung and machine tested...... ...some of the human skeletons recovered from the wreck showed upper body bone structure consistent with a man having grown up from childhood training with a bow and who researchers believed could have been capable of using those heaviest of bows as a grown man in the peak of his strength... (around 30 to 40 years of age)...

when i first joined this family my dad had a handmade longbow/warbow of around 135 pounds draw... it was 76 inches long and considerd a self bow because it was made of one single stave of wood.... .he kept it at a fire station and shot it out back of the station during slow down times. ..i rmember he was able to shoot that bow easily up to 300 shots in a single day before becoming fatigued... but he was also in his mid 30s and in top shape...... .. that bow threw a splinter many years ago and is now a wall hanger decoration.... .... tradtional wooden longbows... like the human body... become weaker with age and continual use.... and are destined to break or wear out eventually....which is why none of the bows from the medieval period survived to today... .and the only reason the mary rose longbows did survive was because they had been undisturbed in airtight containers and at very cold temperatures under water for all those years.....

the warbow my dad has now which is 110 pounds draw - is the 3rd one he has owned since that 135 pounder... it;s 76 inches long and is hickory with a bamboo backing - making it a little more durable and less likely to splinter... ..(it came from a christian owned company called rudder bows that is now out of business)... ...at 65 yo he can shoot that one around 20 to 25 times in a singe day before he has to give it up... ..but his main hunting bow is a custom damon howatt longbow made of african hardwoods - with fiberglass backing.. ...that bow has a reflex/deflex design - and has a draw weight of 83 pounds.. ... about 64 inches long and perfect for bowhunting.....

his goal in the past couple of years has been to shoot that 83 pound bow at least 144 shots a day to stay in shape... .... but he says eventually he will have to give up shooting both those bows and move down to a lighter draw weight... . ... the bow i have ..(a custom made martin savannah)... is made very similar to his 83 pound howatt bushmaster..(which was also custom made).. just with much lighter draw weight...(a little over 60 pounds).... ...i was trying to build up to one day be able to shoot a similar bow of 70 pounds draw weight..... or even his main hunting bow of 83 pounds.. but it ended up being a pipe dream.... i haven;t done well trying to move past this one i have now ..and i think i hit my peak already....

Last edited:
it was once believed by most historians that in the medieval age the most powerful longbows used in warfare could only have varied between 90 to 110 pounds draw weight... .. (they didn;t believe the human body could do better than that even with training ... and even knowing that boys were trained from the age of 7 in medieval wales and england)..... ..... ..

but then a few historians began claiming medieval warbows must have gone up to 160 pounds after howard hill proved a longbow of 160 pounds draw could be handled without difficulty by a man well trained and conditioned from his early teens..... he used a longbow of 160 pounds draw in his prime to hunt the big 5 game animals in africa... ...... but then when the ship mary rose was raised, longbows still in their watertight protective containers were recovered and measured.... and they started at 130 pounds minimum all the way up to 200 pounds draw... .

...none of those bows had been used yet when the mary rose sank.... and they were so well preserved that they could still be strung and shot almost 500 years later .... or in the case of the super heavy bows strung and machine tested...... ...some of the human skeletons recovered from the wreck showed upper body bone structure consistent with a man having grown up from childhood training with a bow and who researchers believed could have been capable of using those heaviest of bows as a grown man in the peak of his strength... (around 30 to 40 years of age)...

when i first joined this family my dad had a handmade longbow/warbow of around 135 pounds draw... it was 76 inches long and considerd a self bow because it was made of one single stave of wood.... .he kept it at a fire station and shot it out back of the station during slow down times. ..i rmember he was able to shoot that bow easily up to 300 shots in a single day before becoming fatigued... but he was also in his mid 30s and in top shape...... .. that bow threw a splinter many years ago and is now a wall hanger decoration.... .... tradtional wooden longbows... like the human body... become weaker with age and continual use.... and are destined to break or wear out eventually....which is why none of the bows from the medieval period survived to today... .and the only reason the mary rose longbows did survive was because they had been undisturbed in airtight containers and at very cold temperatures under water for all those years.....

the warbow my dad has now which is 110 pounds draw - is the 3rd one he has owned since that 135 pounder... it;s 76 inches long and is hickory with a bamboo backing - making it a little more durable and less likely to splinter... ..(it came from a christian owned company called rudder bows that is now out of business)... ...at 65 yo he can shoot that one around 20 to 25 times in a singe day before he has to give it up... ..but his main hunting bow is a custom damon howatt longbow made of african hardwoods - with fiberglass backing.. ...that bow has a reflex/deflex design - and has a draw weight of 83 pounds.. ... about 64 inches long and perfect for bowhunting.....

his goal in the past couple of years has been to shoot that 83 pound bow at least 144 shots a day to stay in shape... .... but he says eventually he will have to give up shooting both those bows and move down to a lighter draw weight... . ... the bow i have is made very similar to his 83 pound howatt just with much lighter draw weight...(a little over 60 pounds).... ...i was trying to build up to one day be able to shoot a similar bow of 70 pounds draw weight..... or even his main hunting bow of 83 pounds.. but it ended up being a pipe dream.... i haven;t done well trying to move past this one i have now ..and i think i hit my peak already....
Amazing, thanks

medieval fire arrows!!...😲

when it comes to hollywood movies and medieval warfare - producers loves to
create scenes with masses of archers shooting flaming arrows at formatations
of knights and foot soldiers..... we know from historical records that flaming
arrows were definitely used in warfare - but were they used the way hollywood
portrays them?....:unsure:. ..no...... they were not...:cautious:.. ... their use was nowhere
near as cinematically dramatic or as thrilling as hollywood shows... ..and yet their
actual effect in a war was far worse and far more devastating than movies reveal...🥵

.(needless to say... do not try this at home... and while i have done a few risky things with arrows...
flaming arrows is something i have never messed with... and never will...🤨.. ..but the guy who
makes these videos is an expert in medieval pyrotechnics and in recreating historical weapons..🧐)

flaming-arrows-in-Robin-Hood-Prince-of-Thieves.jpeg

Last edited: