Very mixed emotions

Billy said:
Morphine Drip....is that not assisting in speeding up death?

That young lady didn't appear to be at the point of death, but what about patients that are.

Billy

I know that this is anecdotal but, no.

My FIL was receiving morphine for 12 days before he finally took his last breath, so if the intent were to speed things it failed miserably. The morphine is to minimize the pain that accompanies the shutting down of the organs.

All of this is an outgrowth of the devaluing of human life at all stages and the rejection of God as creator and sustainer.

Which brings up the point... We have medicines that help make the onset of death far less difficult than before. The goal of the medical community should be to spend its resources in pain management instead of finding a day to end ones life.

Twisted said:
T-Bone said:
FSSL said:
It is a difficult question.. no doubt.

The question is whether assisted suicide should be legal.

Nope...life and death belong to God...period!

So you don't believe in assisted birth?

I assume you are being humorous.

subllibrm said:
Billy said:

That young lady didn't appear to be at the point of death, but what about patients that are.

Billy

I know that this is anecdotal but, no.

My FIL was receiving morphine for 12 days before he finally took his last breath, so if the intent were to speed things it failed miserably. The morphine is to minimize the pain that accompanies the shutting down of the organs.

I'm sure that it helped control his pain but my friends in the medical field says it does in fact speed up the process of the organs shutting down and makes death easier on the loved one and their family.

Both my Dad and my brother had a morphine drip before they passed away with cancer.

Twisted said:

There's no comparison. The life already existed at birth. It's just getting an address change.

Billy said:

Quite possibly; but that's why it's necessary to recognize the moral distinction between killing and letting die. Administering a toxin to cause death would be killing. Administering a painkiller to ease suffering, though it has the side effect of hastening death, is letting die.

Ransom said:
Billy said:

Quite possibly; but that's why it's necessary to recognize the moral distinction between killing and letting die. Administering a toxin to cause death would be killing. Administering a painkiller to ease suffering, though it has the side effect of hastening death, is letting die.

Spot on!

Ransom said:
Billy said:

The medical field has had and continues to have quite the discussion/debate on the "do no harm" ethics of palliative sedation vs euthanasia....very interesting discussions to say the least.

Billy

T-Bone said:
Twisted said:
T-Bone said:
FSSL said:

Not at all.  Why is one "assist" good and the other bad?  Babies have been born without assistance for thousands of years.  Remember, as you said...life and death belong to God...period!

Twisted said:
T-Bone said:
Twisted said:
T-Bone said:
FSSL said:

Not at all.  Why is one "assist" good and the other bad?  Babies have been born without assistance for thousands of years.  Remember, as you said...life and death belong to God...period!

I did, and as has been said, the baby is already alive to assist with birth is not to give life...nor is assisting with care at death.  The line is crossed when we take a life.  I am all for comfort care...I am also for the person deciding not to take treatments like chemo or radiation and let life take its course.  I am opposed to taking life.

Twisted said:

Wait a minute! Life begins at conception... There was no assistance.

FSSL said:
Twisted said:

Wait a minute! Life begins at conception... There was no assistance.

I don't know that I assisted but I know i was involved.  ;)

FSSL said:

There is nothing anyone can do about someone killing himself.  You cannot pass laws against suicide.  But the "assisted suicide" seems like pretty dangerous ground.