Views on tithing

freelance_christian

Elect
Reaction score
“Tithing shows that God has first place in your life; it’s the first ten percent of your gross income,” - Kerrick Thomas

A couple of thoughts:

(1) Where in Scripture can we conclude that tithing shows that God has first place in your life? An absolute heathen can tithe from his income, but this indicates nothing about his spiritual condition.

(2) Where does Scripture tell ANYONE to tithe of their gross income. It never places the tithe on the church at all, but even if you believe that Christians should tithe, where does it say to tithe of your gross income? What if you lived in a country where the tax rate was 95%? Would you still be required to tithe of your gross income?

I don't believe in tithing for the NT church. Sat under IFBX preachers who use it to build themselves churches at the expense of church members.

freelance_christian said:
“Tithing shows that God has first place in your life; it’s the first ten percent of your gross income,” - Kerrick Thomas

A couple of thoughts:

(1) Where in Scripture can we conclude that tithing shows that God has first place in your life? An absolute heathen can tithe from his income, but this indicates nothing about his spiritual condition.

(2) Where does Scripture tell ANYONE to tithe of their gross income. It never places the tithe on the church at all, but even if you believe that Christians should tithe, where does it say to tithe of your gross income? What if you lived in a country where the tax rate was 95%? Would you still be required to tithe of your gross income?

It is interesting to note that even Abraham only tithed once and that wasn't even based on anything he actually claimed as being a possession.

Tithing in the Bible was a tax on the Israelites, intended for the maintenance of the Tabernacle or Temple, the support of the Levites in lieu of a land allotment, and for the general social welfare of the nation.

When you see teaching on giving in the New Testament (e.g. in Acts or 2 Corinthians), it is always voluntary, inasmuch as God has given a person the grace to give, and not a specific percentage (though it is somewhat proportional to income).  Most - all, in fact, if I remember correctly - of Paul's teaching on the subject comes in the context of a collection he was taking up amongst the Gentile Christians for the relief of the Jewish Christians in Judea. It was both for the sake of equalization and a symbol of the unity of Jews and Gentiles in Christ.

There's no real parallel between the Old Testament tenth and the New Testament gift. Just because a purpose-built church building with its paid staff makes something like the tithe into a necessity, doesn't mean we can pretend the Church is the Temple.

OraGel or NumZit are both good answers to teething questions.  8)

A couple of thoughts:

Tithing in and of itself cannot be an indicator of a person's spiritual condition. Many lost church members tithe I suppose. I began tithing before I was saved. Tithing, like any other outward submission to God's Word is merely obedience. Anyone who has raised children can testify that children can obey while not having their heart in it.

My opinion is that tithing off the gross income may have been taken from Proverbs 3:9 - Honor the LORD with your possessions, And with the firstfruits of all your increase. I've heard some preachers say that God deserves His part before Uncle Sam gets his. Just a thought.

Ransom said:

Tithing in the Bible was a tax on the Israelites, intended for the maintenance of the Tabernacle or Temple, the support of the Levites in lieu of a land allotment, and for the general social welfare of the nation.

When you see teaching on giving in the New Testament (e.g. in Acts or 2 Corinthians), it is always voluntary, inasmuch as God has given a person the grace to give, and not a specific percentage (though it is somewhat proportional to income).  Most - all, in fact, if I remember correctly - of Paul's teaching on the subject comes in the context of a collection he was taking up amongst the Gentile Christians for the relief of the Jewish Christians in Judea. It was both for the sake of equalization and a symbol of the unity of Jews and Gentiles in Christ.

There's no real parallel between the Old Testament tenth and the New Testament gift. Just because a purpose-built church building with its paid staff makes something like the tithe into a necessity, doesn't mean we can pretend the Church is the Temple.

A serious study of the topic will lead you to see that the Tithe in the OT was not just nilly willy given to the Levites either. You were to bring it to the Temple and have a feast with it, and whatever was left over, give to the priests.

I know men who I generally trust to exegete the scriptures faithfully in almost every area, except this one, and I fear that it is a sub-conscious manipulation of the texts and ideas of Scripture to give them the power to tell people who trust them to give up 10% or more (There is a sermon out there called "to the Tithe and Beyond") so that their salary and their building fund and pet projects get funded.  It is not complicated. Like Scott said, in the NT, it si always voluntary, as the Lord impresses your heart, and a percentage is NEVER GIVEN.  The only mention is Matt 23 where Jesus commeds the Scribes and Pharisees (Who were still under the Old Testament Law) for tithing on the herbs in their garden, and then denouncing them for neglecting justice and mercy and faithfulness.

After I finally got out from under the regular preaching of Fundamentalists, and read all of the texts for myself and allowed the text to speak, I realized I had become a fantastic legalist. I repented.  Now I ask God.

4everfsu said:
I don't believe in tithing for the NT church. Sat under IFBX preachers who use it to build themselves churches at the expense of church members.

Get off the Internet and mail your tithe check....or call RLS' hotline:
1-800-SEND CASH!  :D

Just heard PresbyXer RC Sprola Jr (Sr. believes in tithing too) preach about how often Christians rob God of the tithe (using Malachi 3:10), and rob themselves of a blessing in doing so.  If only that slacker of an exegete would read the FFF he'd know better.

8)

Should we give graciously and freely? Absolutely!

Are we obligated to give the tithe? For those who rely on the works of the law are under a curse...

You know there has to be some way to pay for the corporate churches throughout America!!

Tithing is as good as any other method, I guess.

ALAYMAN said:
Just heard PresbyXer RC Sprola Jr (Sr. believes in tithing too) preach about how often Christians rob God of the tithe (using Malachi 3:10), and rob themselves of a blessing in doing so.  If only that slacker of an exegete would read the FFF he'd know better.

8)

So you would find Sproul's views on paedobaptism to be founded in solid exegesis?

Mat 23:23  Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Does not this indicate that tithing in the NT is necessary also?

I believe the tithe has a few purposes:
1.  Support the Levites, or, those whose only income comes from serving others through ministry.
2.  Honor God.  Dedicating a portion of our lives directly to Him and the ability of the church to minister to the community (i.e.: helping people, not helping the pastor be a glutton).
3.  Express faith. 

Here is another question:

In the OT, the tithe was brought to the priest.  He lived off of that money and gave a tithe to the other priests who did not receive the tithe.  In the temple, tithe was upward.  In today's typical IFB NADD church, the tithe goes to the pastor who then distributes lesser portions to the staff.  Tithe is downward.  The pastor is a glutton while the staff starve.

Hence, should a church staff member tithe? 

The OT model is already broken.  The reason (caring for the fellow Levites) is null and void.  He needs to be able to live. 

OR... should he view this as an opportunity to Honor God and Express Faith anyway?

Binaca Chugger said:
Mat 23:23  Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Does not this indicate that tithing in the NT is necessary also?

I believe the tithe has a few purposes:
1.  Support the Levites, or, those whose only income comes from serving others through ministry.
2.  Honor God.  Dedicating a portion of our lives directly to Him and the ability of the church to minister to the community (i.e.: helping people, not helping the pastor be a glutton).
3.  Express faith.

The answer is simple. The Temple still stood and the Levite priesthood still had its order. When Christ died, ALL of such things found their end/fulfillment in Christ Jesus.

Binaca Chugger said:

Absolutely, a church staff member should tithe.  Even if one considers only the necessities, such as lights, water, phones, etc., each member should participate in the cost of keeping the doors open.

As for my use of the word "tithe", I'm not talking about a specific percentage of giving.  To me, it's a handy word to describe "undesignated" offerings.  The amount of giving is between the giver and God. 

lnf said:
Binaca Chugger said:

Absolutely, a church staff member should tithe.  Even if one considers only the necessities, such as lights, water, phones, etc., each member should participate in the cost of keeping the doors open.

As for my use of the word "tithe", I'm not talking about a specific percentage of giving.  To me, it's a handy word to describe "undesignated" offerings.  The amount of giving is between the giver and God.

Tell you what. Let all those that believe in tithing keep tithing.

Keep tithing instead of paying for your children's education. Keep tithing and running up your credit card bills that you will never pay off. Keep tithing and forget about contributing to a retirement account. After all, you can live off the government. Keep tithing and believing THATS what makes it so you have ANY MONEY AT ALL. Keep tithing and watch your church store up more money than you make in an entire year..... just to let it sit until God divinely influences your pastor/deacon board to add reserved parking spaces for them with everyone's name on it at the church. Or until God breathes and tells them all the church pews need replacing or the light fixtures have been around for 10 years and they need a refresh.....

Just keep on tithing.

Jehanne La Pucelle said:
Views on tithing

I'm so happy God allows me to have some since it all belongs to Him!

Oh look you are back so I had to quote you. At least that is what my friends say we should do since you will probably delete this soon.

As far as tithing goes and the church. I have a question to ask. What good does it for a person/family to tithe if the family is starving or barely able to pay the bills especially in todays economy? The widow who gave the 2 mites (however that is spelled) gave all she could. I think God expects us to give all we can but we still have a responsiblity to take care of our family.

The Bible in I Timothy 5:8 says, 8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

I don't think that God would expect such of the father to provide for his family and then also demand that he tithe himself into the poor and not be able to honor this verse.

I think that there are other ways a person can "tithe" towards the church that would have the same effect but not be money. Such as doing labor around the church cleaning, mowing the lawn, repairing items, and what not that if they have to hire someone to do those things would cost more.

IMHO

JustABigKid said:
Jehanne La Pucelle said:
Views on tithing

Oh look you are back so I had to quote you. At least that is what my friends say we should do since you will probably delete this soon.

As far as tithing goes and the church. I have a question to ask. What good does it for a person/family to tithe if the family is starving or barely able to pay the bills especially in todays economy? The widow who gave the 2 mites (however that is spelled) gave all she could. I think God expects us to give all we can but we still have a responsiblity to take care of our family.

The Bible in I Timothy 5:8 says, 8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

I don't think that God would expect such of the father to provide for his family and then also demand that he tithe himself into the poor and not be able to honor this verse.

I think that there are other ways a person can "tithe" towards the church that would have the same effect but not be money. Such as doing labor around the church cleaning, mowing the lawn, repairing items, and what not that if they have to hire someone to do those things would cost more.

IMHO

Good point.

I am confused about all these references to 10% of one's income being given to support the ministry of the church (including providing for the poor) would put one in the proverbial poorhouse.

JustABigKid said:
Jehanne La Pucelle said:
Views on tithing

IMHO

Yes, but church cleaning, mowing the lawn, repairing items doesn't pay the building mortgage, staff salary, and run the business Church. Face it - can you call your local bank and cut the grass to save money on your home loan?