What are you listening to right now?

Interesting. I never thought of nuclear subs as being sleep aids. I played the link for a few minutes and found it to be strangely relaxing. Very different than white noise which gets on my nerves after a while. The sound was more subtle and filled my ears blocking out other noises. Then there was a faint ping that came through every few seconds. It added to the soothing effect.

I'm somewhat hard of hearing. I have most of my trouble deciphering speech especially in noisy environments. However, I can hear crickets outside even though our house is very good at blocking outside noises. If it's quiet, I'll hear something and ask my wife if she heard it. She gets upset because it seems I can hear a mouse fart but I have trouble hearing her voice.
Having bilateral Meniere's disease, I have somewhat of the same experience in the hearing dept. Yet, I find most "ambient" music boring, aggravating, and can't take much of it before I have to turn it. I used to listen to it all the time, especially at night to sleep, but I found myself being awakened by it as well, and had to stop listening to it. I went back to the classical music of Beethoven, Back, etc.

I have always liked Christine McVie's voice better than Stevie Nick's. Christine's voice is a little deeper but always so warm and velvety. Personally, I'd prefer to hang around with her over Stevie any day.

I love watching Mick Fleetwood on the drums. He always looks like he's having so much fun!

I pity
i know what you mean... . but opportunities for pure silence are rare here... we live in
a high rise in the thickest urban part of a city that never sleeps... street noise goes on
night and day, and reaches us even on the 39th floor with all windows closed... artificial
background sounds to filter it out can help... but the best sound canceller of all is a natural
rain storm... and when it does that it looks and sounds very similar to what is in this video
below... trouble is, the rain has to be falling at the correct angle to hit the lanai railings or
floor...if it;s just a fraction off in the other direction we won;t hear the rain at all... we
will just see it falling past us as it heads for the streets below... but it can still have a
good effect as it will help cancel and filter noise on the street itself.. ☁️

I pity you. I lived about 100 yards away from I-5 just north of Los Angeles for two years. The only time it got quiet was if there was a major accident on Newhall Pass and traffic was backed up and crawling.

The only time I was glad to be there was when Jay Leno would lead a "Love Ride" from Burbank to Castaic Lake. Thousands of bikes, mostly Harleys, would rumble past for a half hour or better. I loved that sound.

I have always liked Christine McVie's voice better than Stevie Nick's. Christine's voice is a little deeper but always so warm and velvety. Personally, I'd prefer to hang around with her over Stevie any day.

I love watching Mick Fleetwood on the drums. He always looks like he's having so much fun!
I agree! Christine is one of my favorite female vocalists! I've been drawn to those husky-voiced women all my life. Mick is a great drummer! From the people I know in the industry, they say that he DOES love to play, and he truly has fun doing so!

Huh. Last night I could swear I heard a faint ping every few seconds in this "video". I tried going to bed with this playing through my ear buds. I never heard the ping. I figured the speaker on my phone doesn't reproduce bass tones as well as my ear buds, therefore, my ear buds wouldn't reproduce higher tones. I just listened on my phone's speaker and couldn't hear the ping.

Huh. Last night I could swear I heard a faint ping every few seconds in this "video". I tried going to bed with this playing through my ear buds. I never heard the ping. I figured the speaker on my phone doesn't reproduce bass tones as well as my ear buds, therefore, my ear buds wouldn't reproduce higher tones. I just listened on my phone's speaker and couldn't hear the ping.
i don;t think i have ever heard a ping in that video.... i listened to it again for a while wide awake.. and through noise cancelling head phones just to be sure.... and there was nothing..... . ..so i am not really sure what you heard... :confused:...

but i was going to tell you... .. don;t feel too bad for me about where i live and the noise i hear from the street.... .i lived in east los angeles close to a major freeway until i was 9... so i know what that is like... . and this is nothing compared to that.... ...and besides... the trade off of living on floor 39 with an unobstructed view of the pacific ocean,.. would more than make up for it even if we did have to hear to constant freeway noise.... ...the most annoying things we hear is occasional motorcycles and sirens from emergency vehicles.. .. neither of which we can really complain about since members of this family have been responsible for both those noises in the past.... .

the rest of the noises are either constant... and at a level that can actually be gotten use to and tuned out after a while.... or less frequent and of short duration... like military helicopters and F-22 raptors... (which has to be the loudest fighter jet ever invented - except for the SU-35 ..which buzzed us once during rimpac).... .. but i never mind those kinds of noises... in fact it usually draws me out onto the balcony to see which way they are headed..... .. thanks to the reef runway we don;t hear commercial jetliners that often.... ....

but i spend the majority of my time during the day.. when i am at home...
wearing noise cancelling headphones with things like this playing anyway...
and then at night it;s usually the nature soundtracks and other themes...
. anything else i hear besides what i have playing is coming from inside
my head.... (which also happens from time to time).... but properly
separated sounds are easier to deal with.... :cool:. .

blue wave (1)_20210604233659066168.jpeg

Last edited:
I had several emails this week from people asking me why I was like I am and why I hold some of the positions I hold. I don't know how to explain who I am, and I'm not even going to try. I am going to give this little bit of information, though, for those of you who wonder why I am so hard on myself, but not so hard on others except those who claim to be something they're not. The following song has some cursing in it. If you can't handle a small bit of foul language, then I ask you don't listen to it....I have a 1/2 brother who spent 10 years in prison for attempted murder, home invasion, and drug possession. My 1/2 sister was a pole dancer and has an ex-husband who is doing life in prison for rape and attempted murder. I have a 1/2 brother from this same part of the family that is in Orlando, and who has been arrested several times for assault with intent to kill, home invasion, drug distribution, drug possession, and a variety of other charges. Our family is filled with murderers, drunks, drug addicts, and prostitutes. Thank the Lord that I was raised by my adoptive father (my mother's second husband). I have little to nothing to do with my family because of these things. I still love them very much and would love to see them come to know the Lord. I have witnessed to all of them....but this song reflects my upbringing, my family's experiences, and has deeply affected my opinions. +
If this offends anyone, I apologize. I'm a conservative, Independent voter, and a layperson. This song has been on my mind a LOT lately because I know how these people feel. I don't necessarily agree with them. but, I can empathize with them.

I had several emails this week from people asking me why I was like I am and why I hold some of the positions I hold. I don't know how to explain who I am, and I'm not even going to try. I am going to give this little bit of information, though, for those of you who wonder why I am so hard on myself, but not so hard on others except those who claim to be something they're not. The following song has some cursing in it. If you can't handle a small bit of foul language, then I ask you don't listen to it....I have a 1/2 brother who spent 10 years in prison for attempted murder, home invasion, and drug possession. My 1/2 sister was a pole dancer and has an ex-husband who is doing life in prison for rape and attempted murder. I have a 1/2 brother from this same part of the family that is in Orlando, and who has been arrested several times for assault with intent to kill, home invasion, drug distribution, drug possession, and a variety of other charges. Our family is filled with murderers, drunks, drug addicts, and prostitutes. Thank the Lord that I was raised by my adoptive father (my mother's second husband). I have little to nothing to do with my family because of these things. I still love them very much and would love to see them come to know the Lord. I have witnessed to all of them....but this song reflects my upbringing, my family's experiences, and has deeply affected my opinions. +
If this offends anyone, I apologize. I'm a conservative, Independent voter, and a layperson. This song has been on my mind a LOT lately because I know how these people feel. I don't necessarily agree with them. but, I can empathize with them.
I remember the song well, and think that as I recall, the main intent of the song was to elicit that same emotion and attitude of empathy that you feel towards family and friends trapped in an imperfect fallen world, and contrarily it was a condemnation of judgmentalism. I think that message is legitimate, at least in a temporal and partial sense. Of course in the Christian worldview analysis of things in order to take the implication to completion we know that "some having compassion, making a difference" has eternal and redemptive implications (as you expressed by saying that you witnessed to them and desired their salvation). That sentiment reminds me of Paul's anguished cries in Romans 9:3 where he said that if he could be accursed for their sakes that he would.

I remember the song well, and think that as I recall, the main intent of the song was to elicit that same emotion and attitude of empathy that you feel towards family and friends trapped in an imperfect fallen world, and contrarily it was a condemnation of judgmentalism. I think that message is legitimate, at least in a temporal and partial sense. Of course in the Christian worldview analysis of things in order to take the implication to completion we know that "some having compassion, making a difference" has eternal and redemptive implications (as you expressed by saying that you witnessed to them and desired their salvation). That sentiment reminds me of Paul's anguished cries in Romans 9:3 where he said that if he could be accursed for their sakes that he would.
Correct! I cannot condone their lifestyles, but, I can still love them feel for them, and witness to them. I look at them and think to myself, "Would I have turned out like this if I had been raised by my birth-father?" My adoptive father was no angel, constantly failing my mother and being a source that brought ridicule to his children, but, he at least had the courage to come back every time and face the music and firing squad! That takes courage and determination. Those are things I learned from being raised by him. My life could have been very different, as you can tell by my statement of events in my family. I have at least five brothers and five sisters living, some of whom I've never met. The world is definitely a fallen one, but we don't have to give an account for others' actions/reactions. We give an account for our own. All I can think when I look back on my own life is "unworthy."

our scottish festival and highland games is coming up this april.... the last 2 were
cancelled due to covid... we had already missed 2 festivals before that... ...things
changed so much in the last several years that it had become unrecognizable from
how it was when i first began going with my new adopted family many years ago..

and no... i don;t have a single ounce of true scottish blood in my veins... just
scottish love from the people who took me in... however... i do own a complete
set of proper scottish dress and regalia that i have worn to festivals in the past...
right down to the proper kinds of shoes.... i can also do fairly acceptable sword
dance... we have 2 claymores on the wall i use to practice it with... ..the only
thing don;t have is a set of bagpipes... and i wouldn;t know how to play them
even if we did... but if we did i would want to learn to play them this way..
.... . with class...:cool:

Last edited:
i met someone once who was a member of this very same 2014 uk army and airforce
cadet - pipes and drum band...... in fact... she;s in these videos.... :cool: ...

Last edited:

the minstrel-boy to the war is gone,
in the ranks of death you’ll find him;
his father’s sword he has girded on,
and his wild harp slung behind him—
“land of song!” said the warrior-bard,
“though all the world betrays thee,
one sword, at least, thy rights shall guard,
one faithful harp shall praise thee!”

the minstrel fell!—but the foeman’s chain
could not bring his proud soul under;
the harp he loved ne’er spoke again,