What are you now?

RAIDER said:
When we attended HAC I believe that most of us would have considered ourselves an IFB.  With what church affiliation would you identify now?

Still IFB, but Christ is exalted instead of the preacher.

Refreshingly different.

I'm still the same ..my church follows God and not man...

cpizzle said:
Independent, Bible Believing Baptist.  I dropped the "Fundamentalist" years ago.  I describe us as an "Old Fashioned Baptist Church that Love's the Lord and Love's other people...and we have a great time doing it!"
This

A few week ago I ran into an old preacher friend who I had not seen in years at my work place. Of course, as an good IFBX preacher does any time I run into one, he asked the obligatory question, "So where are you now brother?" As usual I give my dead-pan face & smart-alec answer, "I'm right here." What they always mean is WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO CHURCH?

I told him I no longer attend a IFB church but rather a NON-DOM church that is totally casual in dress, contemporary in music, expository in preaching where people get saved all the time. His reaction was classic. First he got red in the face, then his pulpit pounding hand started trying to find a non-existent pulpit as he started getting into a preaching mode telling me he NEVER had a reason to look outside of the IFB movement. I told him that if that was where he wanted to be I was good with that & not fighting it.

Just today he came into my work place again, in a dress short sleeved white shirt & tie on & hands me a CD with a sermon by Bob Grey that Bob recently preached in this guy's church. I kindly thanked him for thinking of me with such kind gesture. I joked with him saying, "Bob always big on sermon titles!"

I knew from the moment he gave the CD to me..........what he was doing (attempting to get me RIGHT WITH GOD). I listened to about 10 minutes of the sermon entitled, Odd man out. It started off with his favorite IFBX stars, Rice, Roberson, Roloff, Jack Fraiser-you-know-who, Malone, Hatch etc who he had had preach for him & with whom he had preached in his 43 years of ministry. ALL.......who in their field were the "odd man out"............I guess in his mind the outstanding men......including himself.

So to the the subject of this thread I'll claim the title........odd man out..............but out of the IFBX & glad of it.

Bye-Bye Bob........ ;)

If anyone wants the CD send a stamped self addressed padded envelope to:
Odd Man Out
Loving Jesus & Others Pky
The Hills of Freedom, USA

fishinnut said:
A few week ago I ran into an old preacher friend who I had not seen in years at my work place. Of course, as an good IFBX preacher does any time I run into one, he asked the obligatory question, "So where are you now brother?" As usual I give my dead-pan face & smart-alec answer, "I'm right here." What they always mean is WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO CHURCH?

I told him I no longer attend a IFB church but rather a NON-DOM church that is totally casual in dress, contemporary in music, expository in preaching where people get saved all the time. His reaction was classic. First he got red in the face, then his pulpit pounding hand started trying to find a non-existent pulpit as he started getting into a preaching mode telling me he NEVER had a reason to look outside of the IFB movement. I told him that if that was where he wanted to be I was good with that & not fighting it.

Just today he came into my work place again, in a dress short sleeved white shirt & tie on & hands me a CD with a sermon by Bob Grey that Bob recently preached in this guy's church. I kindly thanked him for thinking of me with such kind gesture. I joked with him saying, "Bob always big on sermon titles!"

I knew from the moment he gave the CD to me..........what he was doing (attempting to get me RIGHT WITH GOD). I listened to about 10 minutes of the sermon entitled, Odd man out. It started off with his favorite IFBX stars, Rice, Roberson, Roloff, Jack Fraiser-you-know-who, Malone, Hatch etc who he had had preach for him & with whom he had preached in his 43 years of ministry. ALL.......who in their field were the "odd man out"............I guess in his mind the outstanding men......including himself.

So to the the subject of this thread I'll claim the title........odd man out..............but out of the IFBX & glad of it.

Bye-Bye Bob........ ;)

Odd Man Out

If I had only one reason to disassociate myself from ifbxdom it would be Bob Gray.

...still IFB b/c I strongly believe in each of the words for which those initials stand.

Tom Brennan said:
...still IFB b/c I strongly believe in each of the words for which those initials stand.

Independent - just like all the other independent baptist churches who send their kids to the to the same schools, host the conferences, read the same books, have the same extra-biblical doctrines, fall over themselves about the same leaders...

Tom Brennan said:
I strongly believe each of the words for which those initials stand also.  However, I do not wish to be associated with the manipulation, works based Christian living, pharseeism, crime condoning sexual misconduct permitting, chauvinistic, class system, people using, counsel refusing, narcissist that doninates the group known as the IFB.

Tom Brennan said:
Our Predecessors were martyred over Baptism.
The Fundamentalist movement removed Baptism as a Fundamental of the Faith.
I'm not good with that.
I'm not good with any movement that accepts the likes of Schofield, Torrey, John R. Rice, Larkin, Darby, etc.

I understand your sentiment, Tom, but the more I study The Word, the more I realize how wrong the Fundamental Baptists that I've heard, known, and read have it.

I trust the book.

I want to be named among those who were persecuted for preserving our Faith, whatever they were called by, the disciples of That Way.

I believe that every locality , church or any other governing body, can only properly derive it's authority from the consent of the governed, when the governors are chosen from among those governed, and answer only to those who chose them.
(Independent, for the slower witted among us).

rsc2a said:
Tom Brennan said:

Independent - just like all the other independent baptist churches who send their kids to the to the same schools, host the conferences, read the same books, have the same extra-biblical doctrines, fall over themselves about the same leaders...

Right. Because if we were genuinely independent Baptist we would reveal it by sending our kids to Lutheran schools...

Binaca Chugger said:
Tom Brennan said:
I strongly believe each of the words for which those initials stand also.  However, I do not wish to be associated with the manipulation, works based Christian living, pharseeism, crime condoning sexual misconduct permitting, chauvinistic, class system, people using, counsel refusing, narcissist that doninates the group known as the IFB.

I do not mean this as harshly as it types but I am not what I am out of a reaction for or against what anybody else who claims to be what I am is. I am what I am because I believe the Bible teaches and emphasizes these doctrines.

Tom Brennan said:
rsc2a said:
Tom Brennan said:

Right. Because if we were genuinely independent Baptist we would reveal it by sending our kids to Lutheran schools...

If you were "truly independent", you'd raise up your own members to lead instead of looking to your preferred institution of higher "learning". You also wouldn't look like virtually every other IFB church out there on the minutia matters of doctrine.

prophet said:
Tom Brennan said:
I'm not good with that.
I'm not good with any movement that accepts the likes of Schofield, Torrey, John R. Rice, Larkin, Darby, etc.

I understand your sentiment, Tom, but the more I study The Word, the more I realize how wrong the Fundamental Baptists that I've heard, known, and read have it.

I trust the book.

I want to be named among those who were persecuted for preserving our Faith, whatever they were called by, the disciples of That Way.

I believe that every locality , church or any other governing body, can only properly derive it's authority from the consent of the governed, when the governors are chosen from among those governed, and answer only to those who chose them.

Does not "fundamental" in IFB mean that we hold to the fundamentals of the faith?

RAIDER said:
prophet said:
Tom Brennan said:
I'm not good with that.

I trust the book.

Does not "fundamental" in IFB mean that we hold to the fundamentals of the faith?
Spelled out by whom?

RAIDER said:
prophet said:
Tom Brennan said:
I'm not good with that.

I trust the book.

Many use it to mean a set of exta-Biblical closely held beliefs claimed to be based on Scripture, however they are rather based on the traditions of man.

It represents a whole system of man made strictures that are used to determine ones standing with the LORD. "Right with God".

Thus the old saw, "you are not right with God....."  The preacher plugs in whatever hobby horse meets his fancy.

A complete misrepresentation of being Righteous with God.

bgwilkinson said:
RAIDER said:
prophet said:
Tom Brennan said:
I'm not good with that.

I trust the book.

Many use it to mean a set of exta-Biblical closely held beliefs claimed to be based on Scripture, however they are rather based on the traditions of man.

It represents a whole system of man made strictures that are used to determine ones standing with the LORD. "Right with God".

Thus the old saw, "you are not right with God....."  The preacher plugs in whatever hobby horse meets his fancy.

A complete misrepresentation of being Righteous with God.

What do you consider yourself to 'be' now?
Do you consider yourself an IFB?

I consider myself to be Christian.

BALAAM said:
fishinnut said:

Bye-Bye Bob........ ;)

Odd Man Out

If I had only one reason to disassociate myself from ifbxdom it would be Bob Gray.
I was doing some driving today so I listened to the rest of the sermon. He was doing a JH type of conference rant which hit all the IFBX hot-buttons:
KJV,
Bob,
Heros of IFB himself included,
Bob,
Preachin', foot-stompin' & pulpit pounding against sin...........or in this case several pot-shots at women for wearing pants ever, & mini-skirts,
Bob.
Criticism  of the MOG,
Bob,
Numbers.....his own,
Numbers.....of the giga-churches (running over 20,000 & why they cannot be doing church right, which includes Bible versions used (he said the pastor of FBC, ATL uses the NIV...sorry Bob but get your facts straight before your criticism of other MOG) music used, 3 to thrice or not, "grace preachin' whatever that is", dress type & others of his preferences.
Bob,
He also said, " Back in the 70's the Beatles brought rock & roll & long hair to America."
Oh.....& about 5-8 minutes of an OT text that he used as a springboard for his preachin' about nt churches.

I

rsc2a said:
I consider myself to be Christian.

By the Biblical definition of that word you could have all of us fooled!