What are you reading?

graceandtruth said:
Anyone reading any good books by IFB authors?

Hmmm.......

Been quite awhile since one of those has been published.  Most are simply typed sermon series, and if you were there when they were preached.......

Still reference some of them though.

Anyone familiar with author Watchman Nee?  Picked up some of his works on Kindle, but haven't started them yet.

Binaca Chugger said:
Anyone familiar with author Watchman Nee?  Picked up some of his works on Kindle, but haven't started them yet.

Definitely not standard IFB fair.  Quite unorthodox at times....mystical at times.....enlightening at times.  I vaguely remember reading Spiritual Authority for an unaccredited degree that I earned years ago.  :)

Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp - Nice refresher, Some may not be familiar with the principles.

How is soul surgery?  Can you summarize the position?  Outline looked interesting.

Just finished "Rescue the Captors" by Russell Stendall.  True story of a missionary abducted by Colombian guerrillas.  Good story with some good truths.

Spoiler alert:  He is not a Fundy!

Mere Churchianity - Michael Spencer

A couple:

The Common Lisp Companion  by Koschmann

Art of Segmented Woodturning by Malcolm Tibbets

The Naked Gospel:  the truth you may never hear in church by Andrew Farley

Deep & Wide by Andy Stanley
The Christian Athiest by Platt
Christianity Lite by Glen Barteau

"The Naked Gospel" was a good commentary on Galatians and Hebrews.

Now reading "The King Jesus Gospel"  by Scot McKnight.  It appears to be a work on the neglected transforming power of the Gospel.

Prodigal God - Tim Keller

'The Writings of the Late Elder John Leland...'  John Leland, L.F. Greene
We would not have a USA, if it were not for this pastor.

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2

Binaca Chugger said:
Left Behind - I was always told it was bad - not sure why.  Went ahead and read it.  Pretty good read and still not sure why it was frowned on.
In itself, it is a harmless fiction.
It does propogate the made up 'secret rapture' nonsense, but fiction is allowed to do that.
What is bothersome, is that the author, Lahaye, got his notoriety among Christians by warming over the philosophy of a pedophile (Plato), who thought that an imbalance of bodily fluids made up our personalities.

prophet said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Left Behind - I was always told it was bad - not sure why.  Went ahead and read it.  Pretty good read and still not sure why it was frowned on.
In itself, it is a harmless fiction.
It does propogate the made up 'secret rapture' nonsense, but fiction is allowed to do that.
What is bothersome, is that the author, Lahaye, got his notoriety among Christians by warming over the philosophy of a pedophile (Plato), who thought that an imbalance of bodily fluids made up our personalities.

Yes, fiction.  I didn't get the 'secret rapture' being taught.  I read of churches being filled and overflowing with people seeking answers and the public in general looking for someone to do something after such an event.  May have chosen to focus on the rise of the anti-Christ and the views of only a few.  But I did not see a total ignorance that people were missing.  And, it is fiction - hypothetical based on his interpretation of end times.