What are you reading?

Binaca Chugger said:
prophet said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Left Behind - I was always told it was bad - not sure why.  Went ahead and read it.  Pretty good read and still not sure why it was frowned on.
In itself, it is a harmless fiction.
It does propogate the made up 'secret rapture' nonsense, but fiction is allowed to do that.
What is bothersome, is that the author, Lahaye, got his notoriety among Christians by warming over the philosophy of a pedophile (Plato), who thought that an imbalance of bodily fluids made up our personalities.
Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, fiction.  I didn't get the 'secret rapture' being taught.  I read of churches being filled and overflowing with people seeking answers and the public in general looking for someone to do something after such an event.  May have chosen to focus on the rise of the anti-Christ and the views of only a few.  But I did not see a total ignorance that people were missing.  And, it is fiction - hypothetical based on his interpretation of end times.
Read every description of the first resurrection...lots of noise, very visible...Matt 24, IThes 4, ICorin.15:52, IIThes.chapter2...trumpets, sky rolls back as a scroll, people begging rocks to fall on them, and hide them from the face of the Lamb. 
In Lahaye's account, there is a 'secret rapture', where a bunch people are just missing, and mayhem is left behind in their wake.

prophet said:
Binaca Chugger said:
prophet said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Left Behind - I was always told it was bad - not sure why.  Went ahead and read it.  Pretty good read and still not sure why it was frowned on.
In itself, it is a harmless fiction.
It does propogate the made up 'secret rapture' nonsense, but fiction is allowed to do that.
What is bothersome, is that the author, Lahaye, got his notoriety among Christians by warming over the philosophy of a pedophile (Plato), who thought that an imbalance of bodily fluids made up our personalities.

Yes, fiction.  I didn't get the 'secret rapture' being taught.  I read of churches being filled and overflowing with people seeking answers and the public in general looking for someone to do something after such an event.  May have chosen to focus on the rise of the anti-Christ and the views of only a few.  But I did not see a total ignorance that people were missing.  And, it is fiction - hypothetical based on his interpretation of end times.
Read every description of the first resurrection...lots of noise, very visible...Matt 24, IThes 4, ICorin.15:52, IIThes.chapter2...trumpets, sky rolls back as a scroll, people begging rocks to fall on them, and hide them from the face of the Lamb. 
In Lahaye's account, there is a 'secret rapture', where a bunch people are just missing, and mayhem is left behind in their wake.

Oh.  Yeah, OK.  I still thought it was a well written, thought provoking novel.

graceandtruth said:
Anyone reading any good books by IFB authors?

I would read one by Voyle Glover or Tom Brennan. I know and respect both from FFF and/or FB. Glover has published some books, I don't know if Brennan has.

But ya know, IFB stuff isn't really my style: I'm an Episcopalian who's orthodox enough to believe in the classic Five Fundamentals, but that's about as fundy as I get.

the duck said:
Sherryh said:
Didn't John MacArthur leave the blood out of his sermons/books?

Wow Sherry, what a hornet's nest.  In short answer, No.  I do think he made an irrational so called educated statement once and has had to backpedal since.  I read a lot of his commentaries and don't agree with everything he says, but he does know the Bible well and teaches it very well. 
I think it is best as with all things, read using all your mind.  Discern the spirits. 
I also believe there was an IFB war cry against him that was and still is a little on the extreme.  "BRAND the HERETIC!!!" 
I think they love to hate him more than the pope.  I would not judge anyone for wanting to read his materials or not.

I would also read stuff by MacArthur. I agree that he knows the Bible well and is a good teacher. I have his study Bible and sometimes use it. But I can only take so much of him at a time, because he and I disagree on so much, and he's so "my way or the highway" about everything, which tends to infuriate me.

Going to re-read Crazy Love by Francis Chan. We did it in a church small group, but I didn't pay enough attention when I read it for that, kinda skimmed and probably missed a lot.

Just finished "Knowledge of the Holy" by Tozer, just starting Brave New World by Huxley. Most people read it in college, since I never read went there, might as well read it now.

Recovering IFB said:
Just finished "Knowledge of the Holy" by Tozer, just starting Brave New World by Huxley. Most people read it in college, since I never read went there, might as well read it now.

Brave New World is an excellent read IMO.

I think every person should read 1984, Brave New World, Animal Farm, The Devil's Advocate by Taylor Caldwell, The Time Machine, and The Sleeper Awakes every decade.  As I have grown and the world has changed these books are more thought provoking each time I read them.  We by Yevgeny Zamyatin and Anthem by Rand get honorable mentions as well.

Just read "Dancing with the Law" this weekend.  Excellent perspective and commentary on the 10 Commandments. 

graceandtruth said:
Recovering IFB said:

Brave New World is an excellent read IMO.

I think every person should read 1984, Brave New World, Animal Farm, The Devil's Advocate by Taylor Caldwell, The Time Machine, and The Sleeper Awakes every decade.  As I have grown and the world has changed these books are more thought provoking each time I read them.  We by Yevgeny Zamyatin and Anthem by Rand get honorable mentions as well.
You forgot 'Atlas Shrugged' on this list.  Also I would add 'None Dare Call It Treason'- John Stormer, and 'Red Horizons'-Ion Mihai Pacepa.

Anishinabe

I'm only about half way through with Atlas Shrugged.  It is quite an interesting book.

Reading "Grace Walk" by Steve McVey.  Very interesting and thought provoking for an old fundy like me.

Reading "The Gift of Church" by Jim Samra.  So far, so good.

'Edible and medicinal plants of the Great Lakes Region'.  Which I need, at least white willow bark, cuz I'm also reading :'Given by Inspiration'.

Anishinabe

I'm *hoping* to finish this series by the end of summer. ~whew

reimagining.jpg

Just read:  Manhood Restored by Eric Mason

Reading:  It Happens After Prayer by H.B. Charles Jr.

Got this for Fathers' Day. Looking forward to reading it:

Love-Does-copy2.jpg