What are your favorite Christmas movies?

Not into too many Christmas movies.
Home Alone does have the most hilarious scenes though.
It's on practically every night from Thanksgiving through New Years.

In all honesty, it was hard to look away. They ended it right, which is to say, it ended as a story like that should end. Everyone should take this story in at least once. 🫣

Ok. I've never heard of the legend of the krampus, so I looked it and the film up. What a sick and twisted legend it is.

Of the legend itself, I saw pictures of St. Nicholas in a very papal looking getup sneering like a maniacal [fatherless son] cavorting with krampus. All of this legend arising for Bavaria and Austria. This is beginning to connect the dots helping me to understand where the idea of devils and demons 👿 appearing as horned beasts comes from. Of note, while I understand that the legend of St. Nicholas comes from a "patron saint" of children, we remember that sometimes Satan is referred to as "Old Nick". Should it then be little surprise that Adolf Hitler came from this region? I digress...

As for the movie itself, I read the synopsis of it and it is as twisted as the legend of old. Particularly repugnant to me is the story line that this beast punishes Max for his attitude when it clearly comes from his exasperation over his messed up family. Equally repugnant is the fact that the krampus targeted Omi's family for loosing their "Christmas spirit" during WWII. Call me a Grinch but this movie is definitely on my do not watch list.

another of my favorite christmas movies i don;t expect many here to appreciate
is krampus.... it;s weird i know... but i sometimes like weird stuff....

in fact.. i liked that movie so much i bought a set of the krampus christmas ornaments
.... before they got ridiculously expensive... i wouldn;t spend what t
hey want for them now....
I just googled - there are at least a half dozen movies with Krampus in the title. Which one did you watch?

Like Ekk, I just watched it for the first time as a result of this thread. I don’t recall hearing of it before, but I probably did and just forgot about it.

It was okay. I wouldn’t watch it a second time. It’s classified as a movie from the “horror” genre, but I’d consider it more horror-comedy. It’s hard to get sacred of little murder-thirsty gingerbread men LOL.

It’s rated PG-13, so I felt comfortable watching it with my teenager present, but I wouldn’t recommend for children under 13, but that’s just me. Other than some language and unrealistic violence, there’s nothing dirty in the movie that I can recall.

The Santa Clause
This had some heart. Not your typical magic elf story. Through no fault of his own on Christmas Eve, Scott Calvin (notice the initials) finds himself subject to the Santa clause of a contract entered into by the donning of a real Santa's suit. Over the course of the following year, he is gradually and magically, and quite against his will, being transformed into the real Santa, which complicates his life and career and exacerbates the already strained relationship with his with ex-wife and her new husband who accuse him of going to elaborate measures to steal the heart and loyalty of his young son from them.

Well written and well directed. You can't help but feel for the guy.

Love the snark sprinkled throughout the picture:

Last edited:
1Tim. 3:3
Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
It would be hard to characterize Nicholas as either a striker or a brawler after one simple lapse, but it is said he was removed from the office of bishop and sent to jail for a time for it.

Catholic tradition says that while in jail, Mary and Jesus appeared to him and Mary gave him a stole that bishops wore at the time restoring him to office. The jailer, coming in and finding Nicholas thus frocked is said to have reported the miracle to Constantine who then released him.

It seems he was fully restored to the office of bishop, but whether or not it happened exactly as the tradition has come down to us is not exactly clear. ;)

Either way, he was later canonized and his feast day is Dec. 6.

1Tim. 3:3
Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

1) The story of Nicholas slapping Arius has no attestation earlier than 1000 years after the Council of NIcaea, so it's likely it never actually happened.

2) It's possible he wasn't even there, as notable figures who were there don't mention his attendance--for example, Athanasius, the principal defender of Trinitarianism against the Arians.

3) One swallow does not a summer make.

I'm merely making a general response to the allegation. It wasn't me who relayed it. In fact, I had never heard the legend until this morning. Three words written by Ekk are very helpful in keeping this and any related accounts in perspective: "Catholic tradition says..."

One thing being a good baptist/CC, has taught me is to be skeptical of anything that came down between the apostolic era and the reformation.

1) The story of Nicholas slapping Arius has no attestation earlier than 1000 years after the Council of NIcaea, so it's likely it never actually happened.

2) It's possible he wasn't even there, as notable figures who were there don't mention his attendance--for example, Athanasius, the principal defender of Trinitarianism against the Arians.

3) One swallow does not a summer make.
Aw, man!

Next thing you're gonna be suggesting is that this is bogus! 😜

1702321207339.png

Last edited: