What caused you to know something was wrong?

RAIDER said:
My HAC/FBCH adventure was as a college student in the early '80s.  At that time I saw nothing wrong other than a few stupid rules and policies.  I had heard no rumors concerning Dave Hyles, Joe Combs, or anyone else. After graduation I attended several Pastor's Schools.  I remember when the Dave Hyles Texas news came out.  I did not think Dr. Hyles had any idea of what Dave was doing.  I remember when Sumner's article came out.  My thoughts were that it was coming from a bitter man with an ax to grind.  I continued this belief for many years.

My eyes began to be opened a bit when Schaap became pastor.  Because of all the people that said FBCH would be closed within a few years of Dr. Hyles death, I wanted Schaap to succeed.  It wasn't long until Schaap began slowly teaching his heresy.  It began to be put into print.  I watched in disbelief as the staff continued to follow him.  You could see things going to a new level.  It was at that point that I began to look at things a bit different.

Trying to determine what did and didn't happen in the past is a bit difficult.  Those that aren't fans of Hyles or the IFB movement seem to believe every accusation that has been levied.  Those who are fans of Hyles and the IFB movement don't want to believe any of the accusations.  After all of these years I find myself in the middle.  Do I believe Dr. Hyles was told about Dave's behavior?  Absolutely.  Dis he know this when Dave moved to Texas?  Absolutely.  Do I believe all the Nischik stories?  No.  Do I believe Linda's stories?  Absolutely not.  Currently, I believe Dave Hyles did a tremendous amount of damage.  I believe Jack Schaap did a tremendous amount of damage.  I believe Jack Hyles made some poor staff decisions for the church and college.

Most of the regular posters here know much more about Dr Hyles' relationship with his secretary than do I. But I also read Glover's book and it seemed reasonable, factual and came to logical conclusions without a sense of spite or bitterness.

Do you believe Glover was dishonest or just badly deceived or misinformed?
Do you believe the Nischick (sp) children simply lied?
If so, what was their motive?

RAIDER said:
Walt, I have definitely enjoyed you being a part of the HAC FFF.  Even though you did not attend HAC, I'm glad you post on this forum.  As I read your post I couldn't help but notice that much of your view of Jack Hyles has come from Cloud and Glover.  While I do not know all that they have said, I have read enough to know that they have no positive to pass along.  I believe if you had attended HAC you would probably not be a fan of Jack Hyles at this time.  I also believe you would have a few problems with some of the things Cloud and Glover have said.  I know you have a limited amount of resources on which to go, but be careful believing everything you hear and read about Jack Hyles.

Thank you. I'm glad to be here.

You misunderstood my post, I believe.

David Cloud merely confirmed and put into words many of the things that I had already been concerned with concerning the way JH taught to do things.  I had been in the HAC church for over a decade and was thinking that their way was the only way, but I still had great reservations.  I remember sitting in teacher's meetings when the teachers were instructed to make sure to exalt the pastor. This isn't Biblical, but it was Hyles' way, and so it was taught in our church.  There was the teen who attended a year of HAC, worked as a security guard, and then came back, and told me that I didn't have a clue about what was really going on there. He would not go back under any circumstances.  I thought that he was maybe bitter and backslidden and ignored his criticisms - but later, I remembered him.

Because I was surrounded with only loyal HACers, I didn't realize that there were others who thought differently.  I didn't read Sumner's article until well after the fact. I spent lots and lots of time around HAC graduates.  Some were humble Christians, who were truly spiritual (I believe they rose above the teachings they received at HAC). Sadly, however, many were covetous; if not of filthy lucre, of men's applause, and rising higher in the pastor's estimation. Spring and fall programs would bring bitter rivalry - not friendly competition, trying to do a bit more for God's glory, but a nasty, vengeful dislike and hatred of the other teams. This isn't Christ-like. I saw how that, after over a decade of young people growing up in church, going through the church school and high school, the teens knew the right responses, but didn't seem to have much spiritual depth.

Although I am glad that I read Mr Glover's book, I didn't like a lot of the emotionally-laden words he used to try to convince people he was right. In my mind, he greatly damaged his case with such lawyer-like methods.

With the passage of time, here's what I think:

Do I think JH and JN had an inappropriate relationship?  Absolutely!

Do I think JH committed adultery with JN?  He *may* have, but since I don't *know*, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt unless something changes.

It is the teaching and philosophy that I am far more concerned with - that has outlasted the life of JH, and it is carried forward today by people who refuse to see the wrong things JH stood for.

People still think that JH is the greatest Christian of all time, except maybe for the apostle Paul.

People still think that getting people saved is the most important thing, and twist and manipulate people to get them to say  "the" prayer, and then count them saved, regardless of the lack of change.

People still exalt pastors above measure, and brag about their numbers - and some, believing that the ends justify the means, lie about their numbers.

Walt said:
We went to hear Hyles speak, and the man introducing him referred to Hyles as "God". I thought that Hyles would certainly rebuke the man, but Hyles seemed to love it, as he did the rock-star greeting status.
Sorry.............but I seriously doubt this would EVER happen in a Bible believing church.  Your memory.........of this event seems doubtful also.

fishinnut said:
Walt said:
We went to hear Hyles speak, and the man introducing him referred to Hyles as "God". I thought that Hyles would certainly rebuke the man, but Hyles seemed to love it, as he did the rock-star greeting status.
Sorry.............but I seriously doubt this would EVER happen in a Bible believing church.  Your memory.........of this event seems doubtful also.

I don't find it hard to believe. I remember Joe Combs stating in a class at HAC that sometime when he is praying he would get confused and say "Dear Bro Hyles".

Even at FBCH the Hyles and God was done in a joking manner but you wonder if they really weren't serious.

Personally, I don't think Jack Hyles had malicious intent. He just made poor (and even some sinful) decisions. Nepotism being one of them. I don't think he was corrupt or etc. Schaap on the other hand I view differently.

I first knew something was wrong when I attended a youth activity prepping for Pastor?s School that involved  taking the wrappers off of diet Dr. Peppers and replacing  them with wrappers saying Diet Dr. Hyles.

That should tell you enough.

LongGone said:
fishinnut said:
Walt said:

I don't find it hard to believe. I remember Joe Combs stating in a class at HAC that sometime when he is praying he would get confused and say "Dear Bro Hyles".

Even at FBCH the Hyles and God was done in a joking manner but you wonder if they really weren't serious.
Helps one understand how Combs downward spiral began.

Mr. White said:
I first knew something was wrong when I attended a youth activity prepping for Pastor?s School that involved  taking the wrappers off of diet Dr. Peppers and replacing  them with wrappers saying Diet Dr. Hyles.

That should tell you enough.

That's interesting as Dr. Hyles asked for a Diet Dr. Pepper when he was at the hospital when he died.

fishinnut said:
Walt said:

Memory is quite good. The man introducing Hyles was trying to make a joke. The previous speaker was, I think, Curtis Hudson, and he went a bit long.  The man introducing Hyles said, as part of his introduction: "How do you tell God that he only has 30 minutes?" and got a laugh from some in the room.  I understood that he was making a joke, but I didn't think it was funny, and I expected a strong rebuke from Hyles, which didn't happen.

As to rock star status, I don't know what else to call it when people were screaming his name, and throwing Reese's Pieces to him.

It did happen.

Walt said:
fishinnut said:
Walt said:

Memory is quite good. The man introducing Hyles was trying to make a joke. The previous speaker was, I think, Curtis Hudson, and he went a bit long.  The man introducing Hyles said, as part of his introduction: "How do you tell God that he only has 30 minutes?" and got a laugh from some in the room.  I understood that he was making a joke, but I didn't think it was funny, and I expected a strong rebuke from Hyles, which didn't happen.

As to rock star status, I don't know what else to call it when people were screaming his name, and throwing Reese's Pieces to him.

It did happen.
That would be an example of ........When to get up & walk out.

fishinnut said:
Walt said:
fishinnut said:
Walt said:

It did happen.

True.

But, I was there with a church group that had gone there to hear Hyles, and it seemed like no one else was bothered by this bit of humor -- I can hear them say "He was just kidding around, making a joke, and you're taking it the wrong way".

It was peer pressure that kept me there; I respected these people, and thought that they were all spiritually mature, and if they didn't have a problem, and I did, then perhaps the problem was me.

I remembered the incident, and it kept me from being a total fan of Hyles, so it was easier, years later, to believe the accusations when I began to hear and to investigate.

Walt said:
fishinnut said:
Walt said:
fishinnut said:
Walt said:

It did happen.

True.

But, I was there with a church group that had gone there to hear Hyles, and it seemed like no one else was bothered by this bit of humor -- I can hear them say "He was just kidding around, making a joke, and you're taking it the wrong way".

It was peer pressure that kept me there; I respected these people, and thought that they were all spiritually mature, and if they didn't have a problem, and I did, then perhaps the problem was me.

I remembered the incident, and it kept me from being a total fan of Hyles, so it was easier, years later, to believe the accusations when I began to hear and to investigate.

You Know There's a Problem When............... you have t explain that something was a joke.

Tarheel Baptist said:
RAIDER said:
My HAC/FBCH adventure was as a college student in the early '80s.  At that time I saw nothing wrong other than a few stupid rules and policies.  I had heard no rumors concerning Dave Hyles, Joe Combs, or anyone else. After graduation I attended several Pastor's Schools.  I remember when the Dave Hyles Texas news came out.  I did not think Dr. Hyles had any idea of what Dave was doing.  I remember when Sumner's article came out.  My thoughts were that it was coming from a bitter man with an ax to grind.  I continued this belief for many years.

My eyes began to be opened a bit when Schaap became pastor.  Because of all the people that said FBCH would be closed within a few years of Dr. Hyles death, I wanted Schaap to succeed.  It wasn't long until Schaap began slowly teaching his heresy.  It began to be put into print.  I watched in disbelief as the staff continued to follow him.  You could see things going to a new level.  It was at that point that I began to look at things a bit different.

Trying to determine what did and didn't happen in the past is a bit difficult.  Those that aren't fans of Hyles or the IFB movement seem to believe every accusation that has been levied.  Those who are fans of Hyles and the IFB movement don't want to believe any of the accusations.  After all of these years I find myself in the middle.  Do I believe Dr. Hyles was told about Dave's behavior?  Absolutely.  Dis he know this when Dave moved to Texas?  Absolutely.  Do I believe all the Nischik stories?  No.  Do I believe Linda's stories?  Absolutely not.  Currently, I believe Dave Hyles did a tremendous amount of damage.  I believe Jack Schaap did a tremendous amount of damage.  I believe Jack Hyles made some poor staff decisions for the church and college.

Most of the regular posters here know much more about Dr Hyles' relationship with his secretary than do I. But I also read Glover's book and it seemed reasonable, factual and came to logical conclusions without a sense of spite or bitterness.

(For full disclosure. Voyle and Trudy were very close to my family in the 70s and 80s so I might be biased.)
Yes, I believe he did a commendable and accurate job of explaining exactly what went on without any embellishments whatsoever. What he wrote is regrettably what happened no more no less.

They told the truth as they lived it, they had no reason to lie. Most would have just gone along to get along like I did.
I am still on friendly terms with his wife  Jennie, I see her nearly every week. She is very faithful.

NA

bgwilkinson said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
RAIDER said:

(For full disclosure. Voyle and Trudy were very close to my family in the 70s and 80s so I might be biased.)
Yes, I believe he did a commendable and accurate job of explaining exactly what went on without any embellishments whatsoever. What he wrote is regrettably what happened no more no less.

They told the truth as they lived it, they had no reason to lie. Most would have just gone along to get along like I did.
I am still on friendly terms with his wife  Jennie, I see her nearly every week. She is very faithful.

NA

BGW, you were there.  Surely if there had been enough credible evidence to convict, you guys would have taken care of things.

RAIDER said:

Nicely put...this is about where I stand.  I don't know what or when Dr. Hyles knew about David, but if he knew I wonder if he was hoping that David would get his act together.  Not the right thing to do (if that was indeed the case), but I can see that happening.

Schaap was the pastor there for two years while I was there.  I found that what a lot of people were saying from outside of FBC were taken out of context...I was there.  Especially the tithing and finances teaching.  I was never steered toward Kimmel or anyone else...and don't feel particularly sad for people who were duped by him.  He said some crazy things, yes.

I think Jack Hyles' main problem is that he surrounded himself with "yes" men.

RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
RAIDER said:

NA

BGW, you were there.  Surely if there had been enough credible evidence to convict, you guys would have taken care of things.

Like they promptly took care of Schaap!  :)

Tarheel Baptist said:
RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
RAIDER said:

NA

The biggest difference between Bro. Hyles and Bro. Schaap is that Bro. Hyles didn't take photos and videos on his iPhone and store them in the iCloud for viewing by anyone that happened to get his password.

These are the commandments, Bro. Hyles lived by.
I recently found these listed in my NASB 1971.
Here they are as I have them listed from a sermon 2-6-85.
We heard these over and over during the 70s and 80s. Since we all followed these too it is no wonder we would have been blind to wrong doing.

My  10 Commandments of Receiving Accusations.
By Jack Hyles

1. Did I hear him say it?
    Did I see him do it?
    Did I hear him say he did it?
    If not I don't believe it.
2. If possible I will not listen to it, if I must listen I will not believe it.
3. I defend the accused, I always do!
4. I will not believe guilt by association or insinuation.
5. I will not talk about it.
6. I always stand by authority.
7. I will not believe accusations against a dead man.
8. I had rather be wrong with too much trust than wrong by too much doubt.
9. I would rather the guilty go unpunished than the innocent be punished wrongly if I have to choose.
10. I don't have to believe that either party is telling the truth or lying. I do not come to a decision.

bgwilkinson said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
RAIDER said:

NA

The biggest difference between Bro. Hyles and Bro. Schaap is that Bro. Hyles didn't take photos and videos on his iPhone and store them in the iCloud for viewing by anyone that happened to get his password.

I understand the circumstances surrounding his downfall...but surely everyone knew before it all finally hit the fan....which was my point.
But reading your later post on Dr Hyles 10 Commandments, it appears that Dr Hyles created an atmosphere in which sin could thrive without being confronted.

bgwilkinson said:

So in other words, you had no proof of any wrong doing of Dr. Hyles that would have caused you to want him removed as pastor?