What I saw in church this week..............

bgwilkinson said:
Wednesday Night Service July 5, 2017.
At this rate maybe we should suspend the Wednesday  Night Service for the summer.

19693405_1769675363047731_2064972725998912601_o.jpg
I would never suspend the Wednesday night service, but I might consider moving it to a smaller Auditorium or making sure everyone sat right in the middle instead of spreading all over the place.

16KJV11 said:
bgwilkinson said:
At this rate maybe we should suspend the Wednesday  Night Service for the summer.

I would never suspend the Wednesday night service, but I might consider moving it to a smaller Auditorium or making sure everyone sat right in the middle instead of spreading all over the place.
The Transformers Kids Clubs are in this building so moving is not really a good option.

bgwilkinson said:

I haven't seen a Wed PM service in some 12 years.

fishinnut said:

So you prefer the Wed AM service?

Twisted said:
fishinnut said:

Catholic Churches in our area tend to have services every day both AM and PM kinda puts us to shame.

16KJV11 said:
bgwilkinson said:

As far as bunching the people up, that can have negative consequences as people tend to sit in their normal places.
If you make them move they may decide to avoid the extra aggravation and just stay home.
I wonder if this isn't what happens in some churches.

bgwilkinson said:
Twisted said:
fishinnut said:

Catholic Churches in our area tend to have services every day both AM and PM kinda puts us to shame.

Why would a cult put anyone to shame?

Twisted said:
bgwilkinson said:
Twisted said:
fishinnut said:

They are more dedicated to their religion than we are to ours.

bgwilkinson said:
16KJV11 said:
bgwilkinson said:

As far as bunching the people up, that can have negative consequences as people tend to sit in their normal places.
If you make them move they may decide to avoid the extra aggravation and just stay home.
I wonder if this isn't what happens in some churches.
My church is a typical church with two sections and an aisle down the middle and one on each side.  On Sunday nights and Wednesday nights, I simply preach from one side from a porta-pulpit from the floor.  The people are so used to it that they automatically go to that side.  They understand are ok with it since I gave them the reason up front and simply asked them to do it.  I think they actually enjoy it b/c it brings me closer to them and they are closer to each other.  More of a family atmosphere.

bgwilkinson said:
Twisted said:
bgwilkinson said:
Twisted said:
fishinnut said:

Well, that's what happens when your cult is a works-based religion.  I understand your point, but if you had said "first-century Christians", then my conviction mode would kick in.  We are spoiled and lazy.  (I'm speaking of AMERICAN Christians only)  What's hilarious is that the mindset of AMERICAN Christians is that, for some unknown reason, God's timetable revolves around US!  We are the "exceptional" Christians.  What a joke!

Sunday  July 9, 2017 Morning Service.

19756646_1773903902624877_2962739938012172290_n.jpg

19944366_1774182669263667_2689061958554594424_o.jpg

Twisted said:
bgwilkinson said:
Twisted said:
bgwilkinson said:
Twisted said:
fishinnut said:
Well, that's what happens when your cult is a works-based religion.  I understand your point, but if you had said "first-century Christians", then my conviction mode would kick in.
We are spoiled and lazy.  (I'm speaking of AMERICAN Christians only) What's hilarious is that the mindset of AMERICAN Christians is that, for some unknown reason, God's timetable revolves around US!  We are the "exceptional" Christians.  What a joke!
First Century Christians put their life on the line to be called a Christian as do some in the middle east today.
I agree most modern day Americans are lazy by 1700's and 1800's day standards. That being said, in the 17 & 18 hundreds most churches did not have a wed. nIght service, and many did not have a Sunday night service either. In the 1800's there were no bus routes to run early on Sunday morning and no bus calling on Sat. mornings. Most churches in the 1800's encouraged members to invite the unsaved during Evangelistic Campaigns and Revivals, but few had soul winning or visitation programs during the week to attend. I don't think many churches had organized Sunday schools to teach in or kids programs to prepare for. I think the churches of that day had charity programs, but they did not have a large food bank to operate and a soup kitchen to run. I don't think they had addiction programs or and I suspect seniors & disabled ministries were rare. In hind sight it seems many modern day churches are much busier the ones 150 years ago.

sword said:
Twisted said:
bgwilkinson said:
Twisted said:
bgwilkinson said:
Twisted said:
fishinnut said:
Well, that's what happens when your cult is a works-based religion.  I understand your point, but if you had said "first-century Christians", then my conviction mode would kick in.
We are spoiled and lazy.  (I'm speaking of AMERICAN Christians only) What's hilarious is that the mindset of AMERICAN Christians is that, for some unknown reason, God's timetable revolves around US!  We are the "exceptional" Christians.  What a joke!
First Century Christians put their life on the line to be called a Christian as do some in the middle east today.
I agree most modern day Americans are lazy by 1700's and 1800's day standards. That being said, in the 17 & 18 hundreds most churches did not have a wed. nIght service, and many did not have a Sunday night service either. In the 1800's there were no bus routes to run early on Sunday morning and no bus calling on Sat. mornings. Most churches in the 1800's encouraged members to invite the unsaved during Evangelistic Campaigns and Revivals, but few had soul winning or visitation programs during the week to attend. I don't think many churches had organized Sunday schools to teach in or kids programs to prepare for. I think the churches of that day had charity programs, but they did not have a large food bank to operate and a soup kitchen to run. I don't think they had addiction programs or and I suspect seniors & disabled ministries were rare. In hind sight it seems many modern day churches are much busier the ones 150 years ago.

Air Conditioning, Padded pews/chairs, PA Systems, Electric Lights, Indoor plumbing, Microwave ovens, Automobiles/buses, Tracks, Websites, Multimedia, Christian Radio, Music at the touch of a button, Prepared lessons available with a click.

To whom much is given . . .

TidesofTruth said:
sword said:
Twisted said:
bgwilkinson said:
Twisted said:
bgwilkinson said:
Twisted said:
fishinnut said:
Air Conditioning, Padded pews/chairs, PA Systems, Electric Lights, Indoor plumbing, Microwave ovens, Automobiles/buses, Tracks, Websites, Multimedia, Christian Radio, Music at the touch of a button, Prepared lessons available with a click.
Now on that point we agree.

Wednesday Service July 12, 2017. Here are the missing children that are in the Transformers Kids Club, our AWANAs club during the service on Wednesdays.
Those in the kids clubs seem to exceed the number of those that stay in the Auditorium.
Some teenagers who are the workers are seated in the choir chairs.

19983767_1487331011313521_3291821039888822742_o.jpg

19983736_1487329051313717_4737312402460923722_o.jpg

19983767_1487331011313521_3291821039888822742_o.jpg

19984193_1487329671313655_7221145039293180394_o.jpg

https://youtu.be/wjrmAumByzs

TidesofTruth said:
sword said:
Twisted said:
bgwilkinson said:
Twisted said:
bgwilkinson said:
Twisted said:
fishinnut said:

So much for the 'old paths' right?

bgwilkinson said:

So to what would you attribute the very poor Wednesday evening crowd?  Did the Schaap scandal create this?  Does Wilkerson's teaching style or material not draw people?  Have FBCH people become like the average church who has a good crowd on Sunday morning and terrible for the mid-week service?

I think he is trying to say that it would be a much bigger crowd if all of the "Transformer Kids Club" kids and workers were actually in the service. It's also summer, so the college students are not there and attendance always dipped in the summer for that reason. Additionally, there are more and more people feeling less and less bound to the "Three To Thrive" principle. Finally, that auditorium was never full even in Schaap's prime.

brainisengaged said:
I think he is trying to say that it would be a much bigger crowd if all of the "Transformer Kids Club" kids and workers were actually in the service. It's also summer, so the college students are not there and attendance always dipped in the summer for that reason. Additionally, there are more and more people feeling less and less bound to the "Three To Thrive" principle. Finally, that auditorium was never full even in Schaap's prime.

If they didn't have the kids club, many...probably most of the kids wouldn't attend Wednesday night. And some of the adults would be less likely to come if there was no program for their children.

Summer does affect Wednesday (and Sunday) attendance. I'm sure that reality is exacerbated for a church that has a college affiliated with it.

You are exactly right...3 to thrive has gone the way of Robertson, Hyles, Rice and Hutson. I'm sure that Schaap's time there devastated the church in more than one way. Truthfully, and to me sadly, the ministry in Hammond is a shell of what it once was in many ways. However, in other ways, it is much better off.

Sunday AM Service July 16, 2017. We went over budget. Attendance up somewhat for Youth Conference.

19959061_1782338488448085_5878875223522253200_n.jpg

19990597_1782487408433193_4881928875818321739_n.jpg