What Paul Chappell likes about the New IFB?s.

Tarheel Baptist

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
https://paulchappell.com/2018/07/23/7-encouraging-trends-of-independent-baptist-millennial-leaders/

You should change the subject of your topic because it is misleading.

Should be "What Paul Chappell likes about millennial IFB leaders."

There are millennials and older folks within the category we use/call "New IFB's"

TheRealJonStewart said:
You should change the subject of your topic because it is misleading.

Should be "What Paul Chappell likes about millennial IFB leaders."

There are millennials and older folks within the category we use/call "New IFB's"

Your point is taken.
The threads (on this subject) I've started in the past have been almost exclusively related to the millennial (Josh Teis) 'camp' of IFB's.

Tarheel Baptist said:
https://paulchappell.com/2018/07/23/7-encouraging-trends-of-independent-baptist-millennial-leaders/

This pretty much sums up why the Millennial IFB have rejected the older liberal and conservative generation.

They ( millennial) believe holiness starts from within and works out.....where as many of the older stripe sought to change the outward on their own apart from the Holy Spirit

Saved by Grace said:
They ( millennial) believe holiness starts from within and works out.....

Not making a blanket judgment, but have you actually seen many of their services?

no i have not seen the ones online.....

although i dont give a blanket endorsement of the entire ministry i just go by what ive seen with mine own eyes .

I assume your are referring to the dress standard? nothing wrong with having one in a college setting just for the sake of keep folks accountable and providing a lil consistency

I dont agree with everything they believe in ( divorce remarriage off the top of my head ) but it seems to be a good place

Saved by Grace said:

although i dont give a blanket endorsement of the entire ministry i just go by what ive seen with mine own eyes .

I assume your are referring to the dress standard? nothing wrong with having one in a college setting just for the sake of keep folks accountable and providing a lil consistency

I dont agree with everything they believe in ( divorce remarriage off the top of my head ) but it seems to be a good place

I didn't think they had a "dress standard".

No, music is the issue.  If adding drums, electric guitars and music with a sensual/rock beat creates "holiness from within", then I came from a monkey.

Twisted said:
Saved by Grace said:

I didn't think they had a "dress standard".

No, music is the issue.  If adding drums, electric guitars and music with a sensual/rock beat creates "holiness from within", then I came from a monkey.

Everyone has a standard. The problem comes when the arbitrary standard of one group becomes mandatory for everyone else.
The same goes for your own personal music preference. It is YOUR opinion based totally on the grounds of... YOUR opinion.

What I think he refers to with the "holiness from within" statement is the outward holy 'standards' of the old path's IFB crowd.
Hyles was OK because he didn't allow women to wear pants.
Falwell was a liberal compromiser because he did allow women to wear pants.
Turns out keeping their pants up was a problem with those who had outward, holy standards.... ;)

Evidently the feeling is, to some extent, mutual.
http://joshteis.com/2017/03/27/four-reasons-i-love-paul-chappell/

Tarheel Baptist said:
Evidently the feeling is, to some extent, mutual.
http://joshteis.com/2017/03/27/four-reasons-i-love-paul-chappell/

Scratch my back and I will scratch yours :)

Tarheel Baptist said:
Everyone has a standard. The problem comes when the arbitrary standard of one group becomes mandatory for everyone else.

The Scriptures tell us that babes have one standard (milk) while those of full age have another (meat).

Yes, I agree that patience and love are to be shown babes.  The "problem" (as I see it) is that those like Josh Teis, run an environment that caters only to babes.  There is no path to "full age", at least not without leaving and going elsewhere.

Those so-called churches that have different "styles" of services are, IMO, out-and-out frauds and compromisers.

I see nothing in Scripture that tells us we should run our assemblies based on the lowest common denominator.  Holiness and godly living and separation from the world is never watered down in Scripture.

Tarheel Baptist said:

I'm not sure what to make about this; it looks almost like pandering... There certainly are praiseworthy things, but many of them could also be negatives if taken too far.

Twisted said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

The Scriptures tell us that babes have one standard (milk) while those of full age have another (meat).

Yes, I agree that patience and love are to be shown babes.  The "problem" (as I see it) is that those like Josh Teis, run an environment that caters only to babes.  There is no path to "full age", at least not without leaving and going elsewhere.

Those so-called churches that have different "styles" of services are, IMO, out-and-out frauds and compromisers.

I see nothing in Scripture that tells us we should run our assemblies based on the lowest common denominator.  Holiness and godly living and separation from the world is never watered down in Scripture.

I agree.  So much of this anti-standards stance seems to be an over-correction from men preaching their own preferences instead of Biblical standards... one pastor wouldn't let his son wear red; that's fine; that's his choice, but preaching that doing that made his son turn out OK is just silly.  I've heard preaching against all sorts of things (people on here have probably heard more): pink shirts on men, red clothes, white suits on men, ties with curvy lines, men's shoes with fringes, and so on, and so on.

But that doesn't mean that the Bible has no standards; the Bible speaks to how we dress and hair length and music.  These are NOT issues of personal preference.  I understand that people don't agree concerning what the principles laid out mean or how to implement them.  But the "let's just keep quiet and work together to win souls" is also an error.  How do we teach people to observe ALL that Christ has commanded us if we who are not Calvinists must not warn against Calvinism? (just an example).

I think this quote is a good summary of Paul Chappell: "Paul Chappell retains an impressive appearance of old-time conservatism, and this is the flag he flies at his conferences and presents to his ?old time? supporters, but his students have heard the pragmatist side of his ministry loud and clear. West Coast grads are starting contemporary churches in many places, and they are being prepared for that at Lancaster. They are not falling far from the tree. "

Twisted said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

You have personal experience with Teis and his church?
You know they cater to babies how exactly?
You know people who attend there and had their spiritual growth stunted by his carnal, worldly shallow ministry?
I find your criticism of him ironic and humorous considering the track record of the greater IFB old paths, don?t change anything movement. They aren?t exactly known for their theology and Biblical scholarship and deep exegetical hermeneutics.

Only great restraint keep me from responding Bwaaaaaaaaaaaah!  ;D

Walt said:
Twisted said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I agree.  So much of this anti-standards stance seems to be an over-correction from men preaching their own preferences instead of Biblical standards... one pastor wouldn't let his son wear red; that's fine; that's his choice, but preaching that doing that made his son turn out OK is just silly.  I've heard preaching against all sorts of things (people on here have probably heard more): pink shirts on men, red clothes, white suits on men, ties with curvy lines, men's shoes with fringes, and so on, and so on.

But that doesn't mean that the Bible has no standards; the Bible speaks to how we dress and hair length and music.  These are NOT issues of personal preference.  I understand that people don't agree concerning what the principles laid out mean or how to implement them.  But the "let's just keep quiet and work together to win souls" is also an error.  How do we teach people to observe ALL that Christ has commanded us if we who are not Calvinists must not warn against Calvinism? (just an example).

I think this quote is a good summary of Paul Chappell: "Paul Chappell retains an impressive appearance of old-time conservatism, and this is the flag he flies at his conferences and presents to his ?old time? supporters, but his students have heard the pragmatist side of his ministry loud and clear. West Coast grads are starting contemporary churches in many places, and they are being prepared for that at Lancaster. They are not falling far from the tree. "

Do you personally know Teis, his standards, his preaching and the depth of his ministry?
Personally, I probably wouldn?t want either Teis or Chappell to be my Pastor, but they are a far sight better than what has passed for successful ministry in the IFB?s past.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Twisted said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

You have personal experience with Teis and his church?
You know they cater to babies how exactly?
You know people who attend there and had their spiritual growth stunted by his carnal, worldly shallow ministry?
I find your criticism of him ironic and humorous considering the track record of the greater IFB old paths, don?t change anything movement. They aren?t exactly known for their theology and Biblical scholarship and deep exegetical hermeneutics.

Only great restraint keep me from responding Bwaaaaaaaaaaaah!  ;D

"You have personal experience with Teis....?" -  YES

"You know they cater to babies how exactly?" - I've posted one of his latest videos on another thread.  I made the comment there that it appears he talking to a room of teenagers.  I've watched several other of this videos and get the impression that he is speaking to youth.  It's just my impression.

"You know people who attend there and had their spiritual growth stunted by his carnal, worldly shallow ministry?" - YES, I do know people who attend there.  Without too much detail, I would say these people have "stepped back" by going there.

Your main "beef" appears to be with your own past experience.  Whatever, but that is no guideline on how church should or should not be run and it certainly does not disqualify me or anyone from making judgment or praise.

Should I say you all are a bunch of asshats?    .....why yes....yes I should........

ASSHATS

FreeToBeMe said:
Should I say you all are a bunch of asshats?    .....why yes....yes I should........

ASSHATS

Why thank you!

Untitled-110.png

FreeToBeMe said:

ASSHATS

No, in fact, you shouldn't, and please don't again.

Not really on subject, but give it time.

mess.jpg