What Paul Chappell likes about the New IFB?s.

Walt said:
cpizzle said:
I was a member of Tony Hutson's church before I became a pastor of where I am now.  Bro. Tony occasionaly mentioned "dresses" but he never condemned pants.  A look around his church showed that it was not something he cared about.  I'm not sure about Jon Jenkins when it comes to "pants on women", but my guess is he has let the standard "softly" die as well. 

Pants on women is no longer preached against but is also not promoted by most IFB's today.  Preachers walk a "fine line" on this.  On one hand, they know it is a "phony" standard and they have no desire to alienate 80% of their members by saying what they wear is an abomination.  On the other hand, there are many women in the church who have made the decision to only wear dresses due to the standards of the past.  The pastor wants to "praise" them for their dedication and not do anything that causes them to stumble.  Thus, he promotes "sunday best" and requires dresses for Sunday School teachers and ladies in other leadership positions.  This makes the Sunday Morning service look like HAC Chapel, but in all other activities, pants and shorts abound.

Pants on women is only an issue now for group #1.  It is no longer a "founding doctrine" of Indepenent Baptists.

Thanks for the clarification.

I know pastors who believe that women should not wear pants, but they never preach it - only that women should dress modestly.  However, a woman that wants to teach Sunday School is required to not wear pants to church. I'm not sure where that puts these men.

It mainly puts them in category 4.  Even most HAC loyalists (such as myself) recognize we were in error in preaching on pants (guilty as charged.)  However, very few have made a public "course correction" and admitted their mistakes.  Instead, most have chosen to ignore what they have said in the past and just hope the issue goes away and the standard "withers on the vine." 

cpizzle said:
Walt said:
cpizzle said:
I was a member of Tony Hutson's church before I became a pastor of where I am now.  Bro. Tony occasionaly mentioned "dresses" but he never condemned pants.  A look around his church showed that it was not something he cared about.  I'm not sure about Jon Jenkins when it comes to "pants on women", but my guess is he has let the standard "softly" die as well. 

Pants on women is no longer preached against but is also not promoted by most IFB's today.  Preachers walk a "fine line" on this.  On one hand, they know it is a "phony" standard and they have no desire to alienate 80% of their members by saying what they wear is an abomination.  On the other hand, there are many women in the church who have made the decision to only wear dresses due to the standards of the past.  The pastor wants to "praise" them for their dedication and not do anything that causes them to stumble.  Thus, he promotes "sunday best" and requires dresses for Sunday School teachers and ladies in other leadership positions.  This makes the Sunday Morning service look like HAC Chapel, but in all other activities, pants and shorts abound.

Pants on women is only an issue now for group #1.  It is no longer a "founding doctrine" of Indepenent Baptists.

Thanks for the clarification.

I know pastors who believe that women should not wear pants, but they never preach it - only that women should dress modestly.  However, a woman that wants to teach Sunday School is required to not wear pants to church. I'm not sure where that puts these men.

It mainly puts them in category 4.  Even most HAC loyalists (such as myself) recognize we were in error in preaching on pants (guilty as charged.)  However, very few have made a public "course correction" and admitted their mistakes.  Instead, most have chosen to ignore what they have said in the past and just hope the issue goes away and the standard "withers on the vine."

I've never known a pastor to admit his wrong. I've come to accept it.