WHBC South of the Red River

Tanner

Elect
Reaction score
Bob Ross brought this same WHBC mentality of cover up and intimidation to our church in Mesquite Tx.  He came into a tough situation with a lot house cleaning to do.  He preached a lot of "get over it" messages while people were hurting.  Men that went to him with concerns were mocked and trashed from the pulpit.  The core of the church left and he never visited or reached out to any of them.  His main focus then and still today is trashing any family that leaves, and men with facial hair. 

So glad to be out of that mess

Tanner said:
Bob Ross brought this same WHBC mentality of cover up and intimidation to our church in Mesquite Tx.  He came into a tough situation with a lot house cleaning to do.  He preached a lot of "get over it" messages while people were hurting.  Men that went to him with concerns were mocked and trashed from the pulpit.  The core of the church left and he never visited or reached out to any of them.  His main focus then and still today is trashing any family that leaves, and men with facial hair. 

You are absolutely right on Bob Ross. I have said for years Bob Ross was the enforcer for JAV.  He was just as mean and nasty and cold and calculating as his master.  Moving down to Texas would never change that.  It is in his blood/DNA and he wants it that way.

Be so glad you got out of there Tanner

I don't understand his obsession with facial hair.  He walked into a mess at the time and facial hair was top of the list for him. He was making people shave or get out of the choir, stop teaching Sunday school, and no bus work.

Tanner said:
I don't understand his obsession with facial hair.  He walked into a mess at the time and facial hair was top of the list for him. He was making people shave or get out of the choir, stop teaching Sunday school, and no bus work.

Cause he probably ain't got a hair on his legs!!  No wait you said facial hair.  never mind.

It could be facial hair, pants on women, church attendance.... it don't matter. The real issue for these "men" is control!!  They want total control and it is their way or the highway and the Bible is just a beating stick to them. 

Do not expect LOVE from them, period.

Tanner said:

I have relatives (one of them grew up at open door before moving to Hammond in the 90s) that were at open door visiting recently, they said Bob gave them the hebejebes just like Matthew Jerrell did. They susspect Bob is in the same league as Jerrell, it is just not uncovered yet.

They don't ever plan to go back, it was just so creepy.

The people that protected Jarrell were never dealt with and stayed in their positions.  It makes you wonder. 

Tanner said:
The people that protected Jarrell were never dealt with and stayed in their positions.  It makes you wonder.

Especially considering how it was Bob Ross that JAV called up to preach the cover up message for Tom Vineyards sexual misconduct when it started coming to light.  Of course immediately thereafter Ross was hospitalized and nearly died from some type of pancreatic attack.  Of course that was just winked at as being coincidental. 

Yep, Tanner, it makes you wonder.

Yeah it made me wonder at the time, he goes up there and preaches one of his "get over it" messages and doesn't even make it back.  God is going to clean house with or without him.

Just me said:
Tanner said:

Cause he probably ain't got a hair on his legs!!  No wait you said facial hair.  never mind.

It could be facial hair, pants on women, church attendance.... it don't matter. The real issue for these "men" is control!!  They want total control and it is their way or the highway and the Bible is just a beating stick to them. 

Do not expect LOVE from them, period.
Just Me your Just right, complete control is the goal, they will say they love you as they're dictating you into submission.

Tanner said:

I wonder if he told his wife to 'get over it' when their daughter passed away.

I have always found that odd when Jesus the Son of God a perfect man that we owe our salvation too for his sacrifice and is preached by the likes of Bob Ross and Vineyards. Jesus had facial hair, but it is a sin for members of their churches to have facial hair and they are not allowed to serve God if they do in their churches because facial hair was a sign of rebellion.  This is what they preach about members having facial hair.

If you have facial hair you cannot sing specials, usher, teach a Sunday school class, guard the parking lot or hallway, clean bathrooms etc. according to their religion.

Isn't that saying that Jesus himself is not perfect and had the sin of rebellion in his life for having facial hair? Which would make Christ imperfect for his rebellion and the whole Bible a lie.

I have never understood how they could justify this stance using the Bible, (which they can't it was a man made rule).

Maybe they were preaching another Jesus.

I recently left WHBC.  I talked to a man who left after I did and was told that because of a very small number of members left he was ask to teach a Sunday school class even though he has facial hair.  I guess their standards are based on need and not scripture.

Better Not Bitter said:
I recently left WHBC.  I talked to a man who left after I did and was told that because of a very small number of members left he was ask to teach a Sunday school class even though he has facial hair.  I guess their standards are based on need and not scripture.

Did he have to sign the contract as a teacher saying he would abide by all the rules?  One of those rules was no facial hair years ago when I was there.  I could see him signing it then them pressuring him to shave due to his signature.

That was a typical series of circumstances back in the day

I think he left not long after he was ask so they did not get a chance to force anything on him. 

I'm curious, if at any time if someone where to say to the leadership in a humble manner, can you show me is Scripture were that is? What would've been the response?

That is one thing about WHBC the rules vary depending on circumstances and who you are.

Not every member up there had the same rules it was all dependant upon how much the Vineyards liked you today, (tomorrow there may be a different set of rules if you did something they didn't like).

Bro. Way had a beard and he could do anything up there even preach from the pulpit because they liked him. There were other people who were reprimanded for having facial hair and teaching a Sunday school class or told they could not sing when scheduled unless they shaved before church becasue they were not liked on that particular day.

Bruh said:
I'm curious, if at any time if someone where to say to the leadership in a humble manner, can you show me is Scripture were that is? What would've been the response?

The response was it is one of the rules and you were to obey those that have rule over you.

I don't know that anyone tried it that I know of.  I know most of the college students quit going to Joe Finn for advise or help because he would give his words of wisdom but very rarely used scripture. 

TruthBearer said:
Tanner said:

I wonder if he told his wife to 'get over it' when their daughter passed away.

I have always found that odd when Jesus the Son of God a perfect man that we owe our salvation too for his sacrifice and is preached by the likes of Bob Ross and Vineyards. Jesus had facial hair, but it is a sin for members of their churches to have facial hair and they are not allowed to serve God if they do in their churches because facial hair was a sign of rebellion.  This is what they preach about members having facial hair.

If you have facial hair you cannot sing specials, usher, teach a Sunday school class, guard the parking lot or hallway, clean bathrooms etc. according to their religion.

Isn't that saying that Jesus himself is not perfect and had the sin of rebellion in his life for having facial hair? Which would make Christ imperfect for his rebellion and the whole Bible a lie.

I have never understood how they could justify this stance using the Bible, (which they can't it was a man made rule).

The facial hair thing always puzzled me to, since clearly Jesus Christ had a beard, as noted above.

I can only think that the pastors against this were around with beards on hippies in the 1960s.