While Nobody Was Paying Attention...

Fresh Air

Elect
Reaction score
...the crowd at Youth Conference was way up this year.

Did you attend Tom?

Sherryh said:
Did you attend Tom?

No, but one of my children did.

...and all you hackers will approve of his reaction. I asked him today, "Which part of Youth Conference did you like the best?"

He said, "The best part was the preaching and the worst part was the box lunches."

Glad to hear they are keeping to the old paths.  :D

Tom Brennan said:
Sherryh said:
Did you attend Tom?

No, but one of my children did.

...and all you hackers will approve of his reaction. I asked him today, "Which part of Youth Conference did you like the best?"

He said, "The best part was the preaching and the worst part was the box lunches."

Glad to hear they are keeping to the old paths.  :D

Did they hire Teri to take care of the pickles?

Twisted said:

No pickles this year. My previous optimism was sadly misplaced.

#compromise
#newIFB

Tom Brennan said:
Twisted said:

No pickles this year. My previous optimism was sadly misplaced.

#compromise
#newIFB

No pickles?  Stinkin' lib'rals.

Tom Brennan said:
...the crowd at Youth Conference was way up this year.

Why do you think more youth chose to attend? What do you think changed from prior years that boosted attendance?

My friends in Michigan did not attend...

Back in the 80s we brought a large group to tour Chicago and attend the Youth Conference...those were the days ....I saw pictures on facebook  ...

Norefund said:
Why do you think more youth chose to attend? What do you think changed from prior years that boosted attendance?

I'm not the right guy to answer that question... ...but since the right guy won't come on here and answer it I'll take a stab at it.  :D

The obvious factor is that we are farther removes from the JS implosion. I would add to that that John Wilkerson's steady hand and patient efforts at alumni relations are bearing fruit. Those two are probably obvious. What isn't obvious but I also think plays a part is that there is a substantial network of churches that still aren't happy with the other available options in relation to flagship churches and IFB colleges. West Coast has claimed much of the West Coast and much of the younger men but there are lots of IFB pastors leery of West Coast. Clarence Sexton rose for a while but he is drifting back down for a variety of reasons. Jeff Fugate is trying. But there are still a bunch of old HAC connected churches that haven't found anywhere new to connect, at least not with the same fervor. They are giving FBCH and its ministries another chance.

Tom Brennan said:
Norefund said:

I'm not the right guy to answer that question... ...but since the right guy won't come on here and answer it I'll take a stab at it.  :D

The obvious factor is that we are farther removes from the JS implosion. I would add to that that John Wilkerson's steady hand and patient efforts at alumni relations are bearing fruit. Those two are probably obvious. What isn't obvious but I also think plays a part is that there is a substantial network of churches that still aren't happy with the other available options in relation to flagship churches and IFB colleges. West Coast has claimed much of the West Coast and much of the younger men but there are lots of IFB pastors leery of West Coast. Clarence Sexton rose for a while but he is drifting back down for a variety of reasons. Jeff Fugate is trying. But there are still a bunch of old HAC connected churches that haven't found anywhere new to connect, at least not with the same fervor. They are giving FBCH and its ministries another chance.

Probably a good stab, but it saddens me that IFB has this "we must have a leader" mentality. Reminds me of I Sam -- "give us a king, so that we may be like other nations".  We don't need a "flagship" church or leader. Let us all work at building strong churches in our areas as the Lord leads each church.

Walt said:
Tom Brennan said:
Norefund said:

Probably a good stab, but it saddens me that IFB has this "we must have a leader" mentality. Reminds me of I Sam -- "give us a king, so that we may be like other nations".  We don't need a "flagship" church or leader. Let us all work at building strong churches in our areas as the Lord leads each church.
Exactly.
We have a leader.

This passage comes to mind:

Mat 20:25 ? Mat 20:28
But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:
Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

earnestly contend

I don't think people are looking to Wilkerson to be the next IFB big shot. He's is way too humble for that. He seems to have a down to earth personality & just wants to encourage people.

My friends son spoke with him recently about christian college & he recommended 6 and said after he checked into those, he had a few more he could suggest. He also recommended HAC but with no pressure at all.

Wilkerson also seems to be well liked by the California crowd as well as the Sword crowd and the HAC crowd. Not an easy feat.