Who's happy about the Government Shutdown and Whos' Not.

• Thread starter christundivided
  • Start date

Are you happy about the Government Shutdown or not

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Don't care

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Football is still my primary focus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm just happy rsc2a doesn't have an all the above option.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
ALAYMAN said:
rsc2a said:
So you did or you didn't mean that "self-serving political agendas and a lack of cooperation" are a recent development in our political landscape?

I meant that those agendas have brought a new normal, one that is okay with collateral damage like the furloughs.

I present exhibit A for collateral damage: American Civil War

[quote author=ALAYMAN]One that seems to think that belt-tightening and fiscal repsonsibility is something for our grandchildren...[/quote]

If I recall, we've only been a debt-free country for one administration and that was in the early 1800s. (could be wrong slightly...going off of memory)

[quote author=ALAYMAN]...but we can just print more money and enact one stop-gap measure after another as Peter gets robbed to pay Paul.[/quote]

Technically, we can. And, it wouldn't be Peter getting robbed. The US government could pay off every debt it currently owes right now. Granted, our currency will be good for toilet paper and nothing else, but it takes care of the debt problem.

OurYes, I'm Happy that Obama Care Is being Held Up.
No, I'm NoT Happy That My Son's therapist Is Having to Turn Kids 3 And Under Away For ServicEs Because Of This.  Neithe Am I Happy That The Democrats Are More Concerned With Shoving  This Communist System Down OUr throats Than Helping Those Kids Get The Services They Need.  Monsters!

I voted "I don't care" because IMO the shutdown itself is of little consequence and is just political theater.

But OTOH I do care about the political consequences of it. If the Republicans don't play this just right, they could wind up with all the blame for it, and suffer in the next election. I don't want to see that.

Izdaari said:
I voted "I don't care" because IMO the shutdown itself is of little consequence and is just political theater.

But OTOH I do care about the political consequences of it. If the Republicans don't play this just right, they could wind up with all the blame for it, and suffer in the next election. I don't want to see that.

No matter how they play it, the republicans WILL be blamed.

Here's my issue with the shutdown...certain parts of government seem to want to make this as obnoxious and public as possible simply for the sake of being public and obnoxious, much like the sequester.

For example, I generally access several government websites in the course of my work. Instead of just not updating these sites, they have made it a specific point to take them all off-line...except when you click on one, it's not "website not available" but a front page saying that the website isn't available due to government shutdown. Second example: what is the point in "closing" a national park that is an open-air building or a geographic feature. There is absolutely no cost burden on the government for someone to walk through the Jefferson Memorial or stare at the Grand Canyon.

It reminds me of how my five-year old would argue.

In typical Democrat fashion, it's gotta be their way or nothing at all.  Just like a two year old throwing a temper tantrum.  Just like the Republicans, they will probably cave pretty soon and give in to the spoiled rotten brats.

BandGuy said:
In typical Democrat fashion, it's gotta be their way or nothing at all.  Just like a two year old throwing a temper tantrum.  Just like the Republicans, they will probably cave pretty soon and give in to the spoiled rotten brats.

Looks to me like both major parties are acting like children right now.

rsc2a said:
BandGuy said:

^I agree^

Where are the adults?

subllibrm said:
rsc2a said:
BandGuy said:

^I agree^

Where are the adults?

The adults are working real jobs where they have to produce positive results or go live under a bridge with their family.

On a related note, is anybody else stuck in the morass of ObamaCare and healthcare.gov?

I don't have insurance, so I'm mandated to sign up for this.  Yeah, I know the fine this year is paltry as compared to the premium I'll pay if I sign up.  But the problem is, I can't even look at the options!  I've spent considerable time looking for information.  The only place that seems to have any information at all regarding premiums is Kaiser Family.  And by their own disclaimer, the information they offer is virtually useless due to the wide variance between states.

It frustrates me that I can't get any information without creating an account at the .gov site.  I should be able to shop policies and enter different scenarios before I actually have to give them my name.  But OK, I created an account.  They asked a bunch of questions, but didn't offer a "maybe" option...such as, do I want to include my 20-year old son on a family policy or have him apply himself.  He's employed in a close to minimum wage job and I don't claim him as a dependent on my tax return.  I'm not eligible for a premium break, but I think he should be.

OK, I said I want a family policy, hoping I might be able to change that later.  I got to the end of the application (just so I would be able to look at the options) and got an "undetermined error" message.  What in the world does that mean?!?  Then I get two message alerts by email, but I have to log in to retrieve them.  And I get this:  We have a lot of visitors on our site right now and we're working to make your experience here better. Please try to login after sometime. Thanks for your patience!

After sometime?  You've got to be kidding...I already knew ObamaCare was a farce, but their website is a fiasco!

I apologize.  I think I have let ObamaCare rob me of my sweet Christian demeanor.  ::) 

lnf said:
On a related note, is anybody else stuck in the morass of ObamaCare and healthcare.gov?

I don't have insurance, so I'm mandated to sign up for this.  Yeah, I know the fine this year is paltry as compared to the premium I'll pay if I sign up.  But the problem is, I can't even look at the options!  I've spent considerable time looking for information.  The only place that seems to have any information at all regarding premiums is Kaiser Family.  And by their own disclaimer, the information they offer is virtually useless due to the wide variance between states.

It frustrates me that I can't get any information without creating an account at the .gov site.  I should be able to shop policies and enter different scenarios before I actually have to give them my name.  But OK, I created an account.  They asked a bunch of questions, but didn't offer a "maybe" option...such as, do I want to include my 20-year old son on a family policy or have him apply himself.  He's employed in a close to minimum wage job and I don't claim him as a dependent on my tax return.  I'm not eligible for a premium break, but I think he should be.

OK, I said I want a family policy, hoping I might be able to change that later.  I got to the end of the application (just so I would be able to look at the options) and got an "undetermined error" message.  What in the world does that mean?!?  Then I get two message alerts by email, but I have to log in to retrieve them.  And I get this:  We have a lot of visitors on our site right now and we're working to make your experience here better. Please try to login after sometime. Thanks for your patience!

After sometime?  You've got to be kidding...I already knew ObamaCare was a farce, but their website is a fiasco!

I apologize.  I think I have let ObamaCare rob me of my sweet Christian demeanor.  ::)
Unfortunatley, this is bureaucracy at its finest.  It is ridiculous that this mess is the law and that it does not have people refusing to comply.

I do want to sign up, since I don't have health insurance. But that'll depend on whether the subsidy for my low income is up front or an after the fact tax credit. If I have to pay the full cost and get reimbursed later, that I can't do without giving eating or paying rent. I'll check on the WA state exchange, which I hope will be less messed up than the federal one.

I'm not happy about the shut down at all. There are more than likely several families that are hurt by this shutdown and it doesn't always have to do with laziness. There are people that go through unfortunate circumstances that can be made extremely bad by temporarily losing all of your income. I believe our country is in a very sad state since we can't even compromise on something half the country doesn't want.

Izdaari said:
I do want to sign up, since I don't have health insurance. But that'll depend on whether the subsidy for my low income is up front or an after the fact tax credit. If I have to pay the full cost and get reimbursed later, that I can't do without giving eating or paying rent. I'll check on the WA state exchange, which I hope will be less messed up than the federal one.

You're exactly right and it's something no one is talking about. This is even more of a reason to see the law as destine for failure. No one that needs subsides can afford to pay for it until they get reimbursed.

rsc2a said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Where does the subsidy money come from?

It's "free", right?

It's a classic case of wealth redistribution.  And it is entirely unnecessary.  Our health care system is broken because of repeated government interference.  It will never happen, but we should go back to the days where people paid for their own health care with the option of getting catastrophic care insurance.  Then you'd see the prices for medical care drop through the floor. 

The current system is a scam, and I can prove it through my own experience.  I went years without health insurance, and I had some big (but not major) problems like three herniated disks in my neck.  Every time a doctor/hospital found out I was self-pay, they dropped their prices dramatically so I could afford it.  The only reason they charge so much when you have insurance is because the insurance company is obliged to pay those prices.  In the end, the total of everything I paid out of pocket wouldn't come close to the cost of paying for health insurance for those years.  And I'm not even including the deductible in that.

Due to the government shutdown, the federal government has closed the ocean.

rsc2a said:
Due to the government shutdown, the federal government has closed the ocean.

Does this mean the government can control the ocean and we don't have to worry about global warming anymore?