Why no special speakers?

RAIDER said:
Teri in NC said:
Baptist City Holdout said:
Twisted said:
I believe this topic has been raised before.

Even if that has been covered before, starting a thread increases the number of posts, and Raider says it is worth it!

And with RAIDER, it is all about the numbers.

(except for the number of hairs on his head.)

As you use to say to me, "RAIDER, I have more hair in my armpits than you have on your head!"

Yeah....but oh my! How you loved to braid that pit hair....

cpizzle said:
As a Pastor, I very rarely have a guest speaker.

I take 2 Sunday's off per year for vacation (just upped that to 3 for 2018) and I have someone fill in.  We have a guest speaker annually for our Homecoming Sunday.  I may have a missionary preach on a Sunday night once or twice per year.  We usually get an HAC tour group on a weekday and let the tour preacher have the pulpit, but on the rare occasion that they come on a Sunday Morning, I still preach.

Perhaps the main reason is that I feel obligated to deliver 3 messages per week to my church.  Since they pay me, I feel bad taking money and not preaching to them. 

I don't "guard" the pulpit out of pride.  I encourage them to listen to other preachers.  I purposefully don't teach Sunday School to ensure that they are influenced by other members, not just me.  I never tell our Sunday School teachers what to teach nor do I sit in their classes to make sure they "stay in line."

Still....I am very protective of our Church's message and culture.  I think Dr. Hyles was a well.

This is an interesting topic.

There are a couple of ways of looking at it.

One way is the way reported above -- that any pastor is just being protective of what is taught from the pulpit. I think that this is great of any pastor.  Also, the pastor is expected to preach at his church.  A pastor who is constantly missing his pulpit is not being true to his calling.  If the pastor preaches that people should be "in their place", he should be also.

Having said that, a pastor should have vacation time, just as members do - this is important for re-charging.  Surely, there are some people who sufficiently agree in doctrine to fill the pulpit.  A pastor who is never gone is somewhat suspicious - what is he afraid of?

Another way to look at a pastor who doesn't ever have guest speakers is the darker way (some are quick to assume this) that the pastor is trying to mold the church to himself instead of allowing the Holy Spirit to mold the church to Jesus Christ. He never wants them to hear another point of view or read anyone else's materials.

Teri in NC said:
RAIDER said:
Teri in NC said:
Baptist City Holdout said:
Twisted said:
I believe this topic has been raised before.

Even if that has been covered before, starting a thread increases the number of posts, and Raider says it is worth it!

And with RAIDER, it is all about the numbers.

(except for the number of hairs on his head.)

As you use to say to me, "RAIDER, I have more hair in my armpits than you have on your head!"

Yeah....but oh my! How you loved to braid that pit hair....

The one I remember most was the bus promotion - "Chicagoland area's longest pit braid".  You sure could fill a bus!! 

WESLEY said:
cpizzle said:
As a Pastor, I very rarely have a guest speaker.

I take 2 Sunday's off per year for vacation (just upped that to 3 for 2018) and I have someone fill in.  We have a guest speaker annually for our Homecoming Sunday.  I may have a missionary preach on a Sunday night once or twice per year.  We usually get an HAC tour group on a weekday and let the tour preacher have the pulpit, but on the rare occasion that they come on a Sunday Morning, I still preach.

Perhaps the main reason is that I feel obligated to deliver 3 messages per week to my church.  Since they pay me, I feel bad taking money and not preaching to them. 

I don't "guard" the pulpit out of pride.  I encourage them to listen to other preachers.  I purposefully don't teach Sunday School to ensure that they are influenced by other members, not just me.  I never tell our Sunday School teachers what to teach nor do I sit in their classes to make sure they "stay in line."

Still....I am very protective of our Church's message and culture.  I think Dr. Hyles was a well.

Please clarify...  "  I never tell our Sunday School teachers what to teach ..."

Do you give them a lesson to teach, or just let them pick their own each week?

We provide them "quarterlies" from Lifeway.  I tell them that this is only a guide.  They can use it as much or as little as they want.  I don't care if they never open up the "quarterly."  I don't dictate what lesson they teach and I am unconcerned with every class teaching the same lesson.  I give them full liberty, but I do ask them to only use the King James.

Special speakers are a real benefit.  We hung new JBL's from the ceiling and they made a huge difference in audio quality!

My first service at FBCH, Bro. Hyles was out of town and Domelle was filling in.  I was worried and kinda regretted going there thinking that this was the norm.

I was glad to find out that fill ins weren't the norm.  I don't want to hear from special speakers, I wanted to hear Bro. Hyles.  We got PLENTY of "special" speakers at HAC.

16KJV11 said:
Special speakers are a real benefit.  We hung new JBL's from the ceiling and they made a huge difference in audio quality!

Did you also install the dbx processor that injects the appropriate <cough...clears throat> at the right time?

Twisted said:
16KJV11 said:

Did you also install the dbx processor that injects the appropriate <cough...clears throat> at the right time?

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk