Will Paul Chappell Criticize Rick Warren Today?

There should be a separate "GOSSIP" section for threads like this. 

Bruh said:
O.k here's the thing.  As far as the build methods big days, preaching styles, leadership styles, the way the gospel is presented, man worship is there much difference between Hyles and the SOTL?

yes.  They had a great falling out when Hyles was kicked off - stepped down from - the board.  The Sword even refused to run ads for conferences that included Hyles.  Much of the bruhaha was personality, but the Sword basically claimed that Hyles was tarnished and wanted no association - his name was hurting their sales.

Interestingly, the people who attacked the Sword for a decade found themselves without a national platform when Hyles died and now show up at Sword conferences to sell their wares and get their pats on the back.

The Rogue Tomato said:
There should be a separate "GOSSIP" section for threads like this.

What are you talking about?  Gossip is the whole point of this forum!  Just listen to Bob Gray and you will find that out.  Well, that and boasting about our numbers and all other things HACker.  8)

Just John said:
Paul Chappell has been publicly critical of Rick Warren including a "sermon" with many false claims and critical of "purpose driven" churches while at the same time some of his staff have attended Purpose Driven Conferences. Today from Rick Warren's pastors.com email among other things he linked to Chappell's article on "The Anatomy of a Servant's Heart". 

I'm very concerned about Warren.  ;) ;) ;) ;)

This is the second or third time Warren has recommended or linked to a resource from Chappell...which I think is JJ's point here. The other point is that Warren is much more tolerant and inclusive than Chappell. And it illustrates a point I have often made here...Chappell is the best of the IFB bunch.

The love definitely goes both ways between Saddleback and Lancaster Baptist. Such a pragmatist he is!

http://www.paulchappell.com/2012/11/28/book-review-replenish-leading-from-a-healthy-soul/

Who is this Lance Witt that was so highly thought of that he was worthy of his own blog post? Why were his credentials not mentioned?

http://www.replenish.net/lance

Lance Witt

Lance has been called a Pastor's Pastor. He loves those who serve on the front lines of ministry and is committed to helping them stay healthy and "finish well". He is committed to the church and passionately believes in the transformational power of Jesus through the local church. Lance's experience includes

over 25 years as a local church pastor
20 years as a senior pastor
serving as an executive pastor at Saddleback Church
being one of the weekend teaching pastors at Saddleback Church
helping develop and lead the 40 Days of Purpose and 40 Days of Community campaigns
developing the training materials for these campaigns that have now been used around the world
writing and teaching several DVD small group curriculums
writing articles that have been published in various magazines, newletters and websites
teaching national and international conferences on topics such as Small Groups, Spiritual Formation, Preaching, Leadership, and Purpose Driven Church
consulting with churches in the U.S., Canada and Asia
providing Life Coaching for pastors
developing the content for the Live Like You Were Dying campaign
extensive experience in missions and training pastors around the world in more than 15 countries
Lance's broad spectrum of ministry experience, his strategic thinking gifts, and his passion for spiritual formation give him a unique ability to peer into the soul of a leader and the soul of an organization.

Lance has been married to his wife, Connie, for 33 years. Connie loves pastors wives and has written a book about mentoring the next generation called That Makes Two of Us.

Holy Mole said:
Bruh said:
Holy Mole said:
As I see it, JJ is just exposing yet another hypocricy of IFB dom. PC is supposed to be one of the better guys, from what I hear( yet haven't seen), of this movement.

Correction, PC is of the Hyles Movement IFB, he does not represent the IFB as a whole.  He was birthed out of the Hyles Movement.  I assure you that there is a side of the IFB that has never or will never be influenced by these people. 

I believe it is sad when people only know of the Hyles Movement of the IFB.

I dont think PC has had anything to do with the HAC group for many many years. He has on staff several former HAC staff that are in very poor standing with HAC(most). My understanding was that his college came from the BBF college PCBC and he runs more with conservative BBF crowd more than the HAC group.

Personally, Ive been a member of churches and involved with several different IFB camps some of which preceeded the HAC movement.

IIRC there was a pastoral staff pilgrimage to Hammond for  Hyles' funeral.

He has hired many people from HAC/FBCH

Bruh said:
Holy Mole said:
As I see it, JJ is just exposing yet another hypocricy of IFB dom. PC is supposed to be one of the better guys, from what I hear( yet haven't seen), of this movement.

Correction, PC is of the Hyles Movement IFB, he does not represent the IFB as a whole.  He was birthed out of the Hyles Movement.  I assure you that there is a side of the IFB that has never or will never be influenced by these people. 

Isn't the whole point of "IFB" that there is no "IFB as a whole"? Just a whole bunch of one off churches doing their own thing.

AmazedbyGrace said:
IIRC there was a pastoral staff pilgrimage to Hammond for  Hyles' funeral.

He has hired many people from HAC/FBCH

Politics.  Everybody plays the game.

subllibrm said:
Bruh said:
Holy Mole said:

Isn't the whole point of "IFB" that there is no "IFB as a whole"? Just a whole bunch of one off churches doing their own thing.

This was said, "hypocricy of IFB dom. PC is supposed to be one of the better guys, from what I hear( yet haven't seen), of this movement."

So I said, "Correction, PC is of the Hyles Movement IFB, he does not represent the IFB as a whole"
subllibrm was throwing all of the IFB into one basket.  There are camps for sure.  But there are many IFB churches that have never been part of any camp. 

I was fortunate enough to be a member of a church, that didn't know who any of these guys are.
There is a major difference in just about everything. 

There may be five people in my church who know who Jack Hyles, John R. Rice, Curtis Hutson, etc. were.  They know Paul Chappell only as the guy who writes some of their SS curriculum.  They know Clarence Sexton only as one of my former pastors (whose name might come up in a sermon once every four months.)

There is definitely something to be said about the difference in a church that is obsessed with these people and a church where no one knows or cares who they are.  I love pastoring an independent church that has always been independent and I've found that there are more of them then I ever thought existed before I came here.