Women Invited To Apply To U.S. Army's Elite, All-Male Ranger School

ALAYMAN said:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/17/female-rangers-us-army_n_5832428.html

Women on the frontlines of combat, from a Christian worldview, is it a good or bad thing?

Soldiers killed on a battlefield is always a terrible picture, but there's something about the picture of women lying dead on a battlefield that's unsettling. Men tend to protect women from danger. The same impulse would exist in battle. The Bible says that women are to be "keepers of the home" and even though feminist theology says otherwise, God never changed His mind.

Biblically, there are no examples of women in combat. There are no calls for women to fight in war in scripture but more than a few for men (i.e. Duet. 20). If you wish to use the "there is no commandment disallowing it" then walk down that path if you wish. I think it is a bad path seeing that there is no scriptural basis for it.

Let's be clear. Neither Deborah or Jael were in combat roles. Deborah was more or less in the role of Political/Spiritual commissar or chaplain. By riding out to Mt. Tabor with Barak did make her role unique but there are rough equivalents in today's U.S. military (helicopter pilots, in theater intelligence assets, etc).

Jael was an assassin, pure and simple. The role she played and the way she played it would be more CIA or old school OSS.

The OP was framed around the HP article about Ranger School being opened to females. My opinion, based on first person experience and that the Bible says, is that it is a bad idea that goes against the principles of God's design for the sexes.

If you wish to diffuse the subject to discuss law enforcement perhaps another thread is in order. 

Green Beret said:
Biblically, there are no examples of women in combat. There are no calls for women to fight in war in scripture but more than a few for men (i.e. Duet. 20). If you wish to use the "there is no commandment disallowing it" then walk down that path if you wish. I think it is a bad path seeing that there is no scriptural basis for it.

Let's be clear. Neither Deborah or Jael were in combat roles. Deborah was more or less in the role of Political/Spiritual commissar or chaplain. By riding out to Mt. Tabor with Barak did make her role unique but there are rough equivalents in today's U.S. military (helicopter pilots, in theater intelligence assets, etc).

Jael was an assassin, pure and simple. The role she played and the way she played it would be more CIA or old school OSS.

The OP was framed around the HP article about Ranger School being opened to females. My opinion, based on first person experience and that the Bible says, is that it is a bad idea that goes against the principles of God's design for the sexes.

If you wish to diffuse the subject to discuss law enforcement perhaps another thread is in order.

I'm curious...how high are the parapets on your rooftop and how long the tassels on your garments?

rsc2a said:
Green Beret said:

I'm curious...how high are the parapets on your rooftop and how long the tassels on your garments?

Not, it seems, as high and as long as yours but then again, one can only hope..... ::)

I think women should be allowed in a strong man competition.  I really believe that a women could beat a man in the competition. 

If she trains like him, if she eats like him, if she follows the same schedule like him there is no doubt that she would be able to stand toe to toe with the strongest man in the world. 

How about MMA, yeah, I think women an men should be able to battle it out in the ring. 

I really believe that a women that, trains like him, if she eats like him, if she follows the same schedule like him there is no doubt that she would be able to stand toe to toe with George St.Pierre. 

I mean really just think about it, she really could, really.

Green Beret said:
rsc2a said:
Green Beret said:

Not, it seems, as high and as long as yours but then again, one can only hope..... ::)

No...legitimate question. You are making your appeal based on the Law, specifically Duet 20. So, based on your own argument, if you don't have parapets on your rooftop or tassels on your garments, you are deliberately sinning against God.

rsc2a said:
No...legitimate question. You are making your appeal based on the Law, specifically Duet 20. So, based on your own argument, if you don't have parapets on your rooftop or tassels on your garments, you are deliberately sinning against God.

Context context context! ;)

Green Beret said:
Biblically, there are no examples of women in combat. There are no calls for women to fight in war in scripture but more than a few for men (i.e. Duet. 20).

Strangely... CBMW (complementarian group) would disagree with you  They cite Deborah as an example of a woman who has to go to muster the troops for war because they think Barak was a weak man. They treat Deborah as one who stepped beyond her God authorized gender placement.

The standard complementarian position treats these women as going beyond their God-ordained roles (because of weak male leadership) and you argue the opposite by stating that they were not even involved in warfare.

Bruh said:
  I really believe that a women could beat a man in the competition.

I see that hand! Thank you for the personal testimony!

I consider myself a complimentarian. However many go way too far and and up mistaking a US cultural worldview with a Biblical worldview. This topic is one of them.

rsc2a said:

Seriously? I referenced Duet. 20 to make a point that God commanded only the mustering of men for combat not women but I think that is obvious to those reading the context of the posts.

However, with someone like you lurking on the FFF, I guess I have to have large, wordy disclaimers to make every reference used from the OT crystal clear lest you leap out like Miracle Max's wife yelling, "LIAR! LIAR!" 

Green Beret said:
rsc2a said:

Seriously? I referenced Duet. 20 to make a point that God commanded only the mustering of men for combat not women but I think that is obvious to those reading the context of the posts.

However, with someone like you lurking on the FFF, I guess I have to have large, wordy disclaimers to make every reference used from the OT crystal clear lest you leap out like Miracle Max's wife yelling, "LIAR! LIAR!"

I referenced Duet. 20 to make the point that God commanded people place parapets on their rooftops and tassels on their garments but I think that is obvious to those reading the contexts of these posts.

:D

FSSL said:
I consider myself a complimentarian. However many go way too far and and up mistaking a US cultural worldview with a Biblical worldview. This topic is one of them.

I do not hold to any particular label even though I realize your point. I believe I can very easily defend my position on this matter as being Biblical in regards to my "worldview". And, to be totally accurate, it is certainly not the view held by US culture.

P.S. Since we are throwing the term "worldview" around a lot on this thread, I think it is a interesting tidbit of trivia that the term is actually Trade Marked and I know the owner of the said copy write personally. I wonder how many on the FFF would be Biblical in their worldview based on a test as administered by the originator of the term? Perhaps a new poll is in order.

rsc2a said:
I referenced Duet. 20 to make the point that God commanded people place parapets on their rooftops and tassels on their garments but I think that is obvious to those reading the contexts of these posts.

Why, of course you did! And if we were discussing the gender of the recipients of said commands, it actually would have been relevant as well. And I think that is obvious to those who not only read but understand the context of these posts.

aleshanee said:
Prin.Ciples said:
FSSL said:
aleshanee said:
and by the way..... don;t forget jael.... she not only picked up weapons.. (or implements) ...pertaining to a man but she also nailed an enemy generals head to the floor with them......... was she wrong for doing that?....... the army she came to the aid of at the time didn;t seem to think so..........

Exactly... thank you... I don't know why she didn't come to mind.

Killing a man while he sleep isn't the same thing as standing face to face and toe to toe with someone in hand to hand combat.

I'd give a rifle to any women that was a good shot.... but don't pretend they can "fill in" equally in every combat role.

nobody said all women were more physically capable than most men..... just that a few of them are.... and those few should be allowed to pursue careers that would use their abilities accordingly........  don;t pretend that you...just because you are a man ... could stand face to face...and toe to toe in hand to hand combat with females that posses that kind of ability.....

Boom there it is....doubt he can shot a bow like you!  Set the qualifications...if they are met then gender doesn't matter, except by those who fear that a "girl" might show them up!

Pissing match! That'll settle it once and for all.  :)

:p :-[ :-X
subllibrm said:
Pissing match! That'll settle it once and for all.  :)

Whoever pisseth against the wall wins, obviously ;)

aleshanee said:
Prin.Ciples said:
FSSL said:
aleshanee said:
and by the way..... don;t forget jael.... she not only picked up weapons.. (or implements) ...pertaining to a man but she also nailed an enemy generals head to the floor with them......... was she wrong for doing that?....... the army she came to the aid of at the time didn;t seem to think so..........

Killing a man while he sleep isn't the same thing as standing face to face and toe to toe with someone in hand to hand combat.

I'd give a rifle to any women that was a good shot.... but don't pretend they can "fill in" equally in every combat role.

nobody said all women were more physically capable than most men..... just that a few of them are.... and those few should be allowed to pursue careers that would use their abilities accordingly........  don;t pretend that you...just because you are a man ... could stand face to face...and toe to toe in hand to hand combat with females that posses that kind of ability.....

Sure I can. You don't know me at all. You don't know Deborah. All you have are names. It doesn't take much to kill someone in their sleep. You should have chosen a better example..... Oops... There isn't one for you to choose!!!!

Women have no place on the front lines. None what so ever. They have no more place on the front lines than a gay man. You can't give a biblical example because there isn't one. Granted, they are better than nothing... maybe.... even better than some men. Yet, they are not the standard. They are not the preferred choice.

T-Bone said:
aleshanee said:
Prin.Ciples said:
FSSL said:
aleshanee said:

Boom there it is....doubt he can shot a bow like you!  Set the qualifications...if they are met then gender doesn't matter, except by those who fear that a "girl" might show them up!

Do you believe that a gay man that meets the qualifications should be allowed????

Same thing "buddy". You don't want a gay man introducing conflict but you have no problem with women doing the same. Don't be hypocritcal with your belief system.

Green Beret said:
rsc2a said:

Why, of course you did! And if we were discussing the gender of the recipients of said commands, it actually would have been relevant as well. And I think that is obvious to those who not only read but understand the context of these posts.

Right over your head.