Worship Team vs Choir... Another boring non-nudity thread ;)

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
Here is an interesting article. It is about the importance of having a church choir. I find the logic strained, but here it is: http://blog.brentwoodbenson.com/traditional-worship-in-the-contemporary-church-why-the-choir-is-still-important/

I don't particularly care for choir music, nor for typical praise and worship teams. I need a third alternative.

The choir came from Rome, and Rome can keep it.

earnestly contend

Izdaari said:
I don't particularly care for choir music, nor for typical praise and worship teams. I need a third alternative.

There we are. It really does come down to a preference, doesn't it? We cannot make a biblical / right vs wrong case for or against a style of worship.

God  is worshipped in a variety of ways. The emphasis on an external style as being the right way is focused on the wrong things.

We have a band. (3 vocalists, 1 pianist/vocalist, bass player, two electric guitars, drums). Our band is one of the best worship bands we have witnessed during our travels. That is NOT to say that it is for everyone. I understand and appreciate that. The choir and pipe organ down the hallway are not my preference.

A church that really challenged my thinking on this was NOT a non-denominational, carefree ministry with an emphasis on lights and smoke. The church that really impacted me is a conservative Presbyterian church with a strong expositional preacher. They have three services. Traditional Hymn service, Sovereign Grace service, Contemporary service. The completely fill every service. The same preacher with the same message.

FSSL said:
Izdaari said:

There we are. It really does come down to a preference, doesn't it? We cannot make a biblical / right vs wrong case for or against a style of worship.

God  is worshipped in a variety of ways. The emphasis on an external style as being the right way is focused on the wrong things.

We have a band. (3 vocalists, 1 pianist/vocalist, bass player, two electric guitars, drums). Our band is one of the best worship bands we have witnessed during our travels. That is NOT to say that it is for everyone. I understand and appreciate that. The choir and pipe organ down the hallway are not my preference.

A church that really challenged my thinking on this was NOT a non-denominational, carefree ministry with an emphasis on lights and smoke. The church that really impacted me is a conservative Presbyterian church with a strong expositional preacher. They have three services. Traditional Hymn service, Sovereign Grace service, Contemporary service. The completely fill every service. The same preacher with the same message.
We have a band too, and I love it. It doesn't play typical praise and worship music. It plays its own original compositions, usually based on traditional Christian sources, but in world music style. The result somehow always manages to sound both modern and traditional at the same time, and I've never heard anything but praise for them. They sell quite a few CDs, though it isn't about money or fame.  And since we are very liturgical, It's important that it fits that style of worship, and it does.

Yes! Can I get an AMEN?

Wait, what was the question?

prophet said:

earnestly contend
Ummmmm, the choir came from Solomon (II Chron. 5 FF).  But thanks for playing.

Anchor said:
prophet said:

earnestly contend
Solomon had singers at a grand opening, and this institutes doctrine for the Church?

Does God's Glory fill your sanctuary, when your trumpeters blow?

Is every Sunday the grand opening?

The example for music in the assembly comes from the Gospels if anywhere:

Matthew 26:30
And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.

Please don't interrupt until you've actually read the passages you reference, the adults are talking.

earnestly contend

prophet said:
Anchor said:
prophet said:

earnestly contend
Solomon had singers at a grand opening, and this institutes doctrine for the Church?

Please don't interrupt until you've actually read the passages you reference, the adults are talking.

earnestly contend

There is NO doctrine for the church, as to having or not having a choir.
And why does your verse trump his verse?
Neither of them offer any sense of a command for or prohibition against a choir.

And, your 'the adults are talking' comment seems juvenile to me.... ;)

Tarheel Baptist said:
prophet said:
Anchor said:
prophet said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

Neither of them offer any sense of a command for or prohibition against a choir.

I gave a related NT example, of the Disciples assembled with Jesus (in the first church building), and somehow this is not relevant?

Maybe you should stand in the corner, little mister!

earnestly contend

T-Bone said:
We have both.

As does the church I attend. However, each is prevalent in its own service so it bridges both the traditional and contemporary palate.

prophet said:
Anchor said:
prophet said:

earnestly contend

Neither doctrine nor command.  However, that he set a precedent, recorded under inspiration, that singers (i.e., choir) are appropriate for times of mandated corporate worship is pretty easy to see. 

Anchor said:
prophet said:
Anchor said:
prophet said:

earnestly contend

Neither doctrine nor command.  However, that he set a precedent, recorded under inspiration, that singers (i.e., choir) are appropriate for times of mandated corporate worship is pretty easy to see.

1. The church Assembly isn't "corporate worship".

2. He had a grand opening for the permanent temple.
The only precedent this set was for the openings of the next 2.

See also : RCC Church Replacement Theology

earnestly contend

prophet said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
prophet said:
Anchor said:
prophet said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

I gave a related NT example, of the Disciples assembled with Jesus (in the first church building), and somehow this is not relevant?

earnestly contend

His verse had as much to do with regulating church practice as your's.
Maybe you should join me in the corner, oh great minister.

Anchor said:
prophet said:
Anchor said:
prophet said:

earnestly contend

prophet has an unusual concept of what is and isn't a church...imo.
So, it stands to reason he would have the same 'reasoning' as to a choir in church.
But in both instances, he is the...his definitive authority.

Tarheel Baptist said:
prophet said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
prophet said:
Anchor said:
prophet said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

His verse had as much to do with regulating church practice as your's.
Maybe you should join me in the corner, large ego.
Who is talking about regulating?

I started this debacle, by saying that Church Choirs began in Rome (RCC).

I showed the only example of singing in the assembly mentioned anywhere in the NT, as congregational hymns.

Bear the burden of proving that right, or wrong, or stay out of the way.

I feel sorry for those to whom you minister, if you resort to Freudian nonsense whenever the truth is being discussed.

earnestly contend