Yearly church themes...

Starlifter

Elect
Reaction score
I could use a few ideas for a new church theme for 2023.
I know you all will have fun with this, but I seriously could use a few ideas.
Thanks in advance!

Heavenly retirement...or "Diversify"...Gold, Silver, Precious Stones

What is a church theme? Like "25x25?" I.e. 25 new missionaries by 2025, 25 church plants by 2025? Something like that? Or something like "Great is Thy Faithfulness." All about studying, preaching, proclaiming to the neighborhoods and nations the Faithfulness of God in our lives over the years. Something like that?

What is a church theme? Like "25x25?" I.e. 25 new missionaries by 2025, 25 church plants by 2025? Something like that? Or something like "Great is Thy Faithfulness." All about studying, preaching, proclaiming to the neighborhoods and nations the Faithfulness of God in our lives over the years. Something like that?
I had no idea what that meant either

I would assume some sort of overarching theme or motif for the year. For example, while our present building was under construction, the sermons had a fairly consistent "building" theme--preaching from Nehemiah, and so forth.

Yes...I put out a yearly calendar of events and I like to have an overarching theme for the year. I just like to probe the thoughts of others as to themes that they seen over the years.

Yes...I put out a yearly calendar of events and I like to have an overarching theme for the year. I just like to probe the thoughts of others as to themes that they seen over the years.
So, the question is, what is going on in your church? Anything specific? Anything happening in the community your people could pray for, or get involved in and be light and salt?

In our church, we had Brian Davis join us for a year as we plan on planting a multi-ethnic church in downtown Minneapolis. So, our focus this year is sending out a hundred or so people, gathering to pray for them as they decide where to plant, deciding who will leave our comfortable suburb church and go with them. "Planting a sister church" is our entire 2022 focus.

So, the question is, what is going on in your church? Anything specific? Anything happening in the community your people could pray for, or get involved in and be light and salt?

In our church, we had Brian Davis join us for a year as we plan on planting a multi-ethnic church in downtown Minneapolis. So, our focus this year is sending out a hundred or so people, gathering to pray for them as they decide where to plant, deciding who will leave our comfortable suburb church and go with them. "Planting a sister church" is our entire 2022 focus.
Well, nothing uber different than usual.

You could do something like a focus on one individual person in your extended family who is unsaved and pray, write, speak, etc to that person over the year. Call it One on One for One year.

Or you could call it A focus on the Nations. And then once a month, focus on providing an overview of a major unreached people group and pray specifically for that people group. Or pray that God would send one person from your church into cross-cultural overseas missions.

Or you could spend a year on the Majesty and Glory of God and preach several series on the Attributes of God.

Davis is a tad on the woke side for me….but that’s just me, I’m sure.

Davis is a tad on the woke side for me….but that’s just me, I’m sure.
Yikes. Our church is absolutely, definitely, conclusively NOT WOKE. How do you judge him to be woke? Can you point me in the direction of something he said that indicates that?

Yikes. Our church is absolutely, definitely, conclusively NOT WOKE. How do you judge him to be woke? Can you point me in the direction of something he said that indicates that?
You live in Minnesota…you’ve probably been brainwashed and don’t even know it! 😆

I could use a few ideas for a new church theme for 2023.
I know you all will have fun with this, but I seriously could use a few ideas.
Thanks in advance!
I don’t mean any disrespect by this, but as a pastor, isn’t this something that you should pray about and get a sense of your needed church direction from God, rather than looking for jingles from the web? Granted I attended a state university and not a Bible college, so maybe I don’t know much.

I don’t mean any disrespect by this, but as a pastor, isn’t this something that you should pray about and get a sense of your needed church direction from God, rather than looking for jingles from the web? Granted I attended a state university and not a Bible college, so maybe I don’t know much.
Yeah, you secular college people, you don't know a thing. Don't you know that in 1 Tim 3, Paul says a bible kawledge edumucashion is a requirement for deacons and Elders.

Yeah, you secular college people, you don't know a thing. Don't you know that in 1 Tim 3, Paul says a bible kawledge edumucashion is a requirement for deacons and Elders.
Well, I’ve never been a deacon either, and I’m not even sure what an “elder” is, because I’ve never been to a church with one, at least that I know of.

Some Baptist churches are starting to have their pastors or deacons called this for some reason. Personally, I'd rather stick with the terms "Pastor" or "Brother." This plurality of elders running a church instead of the congregation is much like what I saw in the Greek Orthodox, Catholic, and Lutheran churches. I'm NOT a fan of it.

Some Baptist churches are starting to have their pastors or deacons called this for some reason. Personally, I'd rather stick with the terms "Pastor" or "Brother."

Biblically speaking, the terms "pastor," elder," "bishop," and a few others are interchangeable as terms for the persons responsible for the spiritual and moral oversight of the church.

At my church, there's a distinction only insofar as "pastors" are the ones who are ordained and employed by the church, while "elders" are laymen elected for a term at the annual congregational meeting.

This plurality of elders running a church instead of the congregation is much like what I saw in the Greek Orthodox, Catholic, and Lutheran churches. I'm NOT a fan of it.

Congregationalism means that the congregation, not the denomination, sets its own doctrinal standards and selects its own officers. It doesn't necessarily mean the church is operated by direct democracy. At a church I once attended, I saw an impromptu business meeting called before an evening service to approve the purchase of a new cassette player after the old one broke down during the morning service. If you're going to do that for everything that goes wrong on the property and requires fixing, direct congregational democracy starts to become inefficient and impractical.