You know you have been called when...

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
... your senior pastor resigns his ministry on an island church that is vibrant and going well... to take a church 6 hours from the Gulf of Mexico to minister in a coal mining community.

I have resigned from a few churches. Now, I am on the other end of witnessing our pastor resign. It is an awkward and sad thing. Happy for him and the new church... Just hoping we find the right guy who is not attracted to our ministry because of its location, facilities and excellent salary/benefits.

FSSL said:
I have resigned from a few churches. Now, I am on the other end of witnessing our pastor resign. It is an awkward and sad thing. Happy for him and the new church... Just hoping we find the right guy who is not attracted to our ministry because of its location, facilities and excellent salary/benefits.

On the plus side, we may be getting a new guy (vote's this weekend).

So there is balance!

FSSL said:
... your senior pastor resigns his ministry on an island church that is vibrant and going well... to take a church 6 hours from the Gulf of Mexico to minister in a coal mining community.

Sounds like a man of humility, but sometimes God moves His troops.

While this may look good.....

This ISN'T proof of a calling. Those are listed in the Scriptures. Its telling you'd make such a carnal mistake. Our choices are not God's choices.

There are many people who suffer persecution and hardship for what they choose to believe/do. Not all them are called.

Prov. 16:33 The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD.
acts 1: 24 Then they prayed, ?Lord, you know everyone?s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen 25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.? 26 Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.

Everything happens by God's sovereignty. They'll be calling you soon FSSL.....

Recovering IFB said:
Prov. 16:33 The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD.
acts 1: 24 Then they prayed, ?Lord, you know everyone?s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen 25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.? 26 Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.

You really should read Proverbs 16 in the LXX.

Either way. The verse doesn't say what you want it to say.

Recovering IFB said:

Well... they had better do it and do it quickly! I am losing my Greek reading abilities and will have trouble understanding the LXX if they delay any longer! :D

praise_yeshua said:
Recovering IFB said:
You really should read Proverbs 16 in the LXX.

Either way. The verse doesn't say what you want it to say.
It's the same in Hebrew and other English translations
New International Version
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

New Living Translation
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps.

English Standard Version
The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.

New American Standard Bible
The mind of man plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps.

King James Bible
A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
A man's heart plans his way, but the LORD determines his steps.

International Standard Version
A person plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.

NET Bible
A person plans his course, but the LORD directs his steps.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
The heart of a son of man plans his ways and Lord Jehovah orders his steps.

GOD'S WORD? Translation
A person may plan his own journey, but the LORD directs his steps.

JPS Tanakh 1917
A man's heart deviseth his way; But the LORD directeth his steps.

New American Standard 1977
The mind of man plans his way,
            But the LORD directs his steps.

Jubilee Bible 2000
The heart of man devises his way, but the LORD directs his steps.

King James 2000 Bible
A man's heart plans his way: but the LORD directs his steps.

American King James Version
A man's heart devises his way: but the LORD directs his steps.

American Standard Version
A man's heart deviseth his way; But Jehovah directeth his steps.

Douay-Rheims Bible
The heart of man disposeth his way: but the Lord must direct his steps.

Darby Bible Translation
The heart of man deviseth his way, but Jehovah directeth his steps.

English Revised Version

Webster's Bible Translation

World English Bible
A man's heart plans his course, but Yahweh directs his steps.

Young's Literal Translation
The heart of man deviseth his way, And Jehovah establisheth his step.

We all know your denial of Scripture and your ability to try and not give God His glory for his sovereignty, but I do read Scripture for what it says,....

Don't let PY fool you... he cannot read the LXX, only a translation of it.
His English LXX has what is called a root fallacy. The word "direct, establish, determines" is translated in 1851 says "righteousness."

The original Hebrew meaning has the idea of "making a fair decision, judgment"

So, you can either believe a translation of a translation or just go back to the Hebrew.

FSSL said:
Don't let PY fool you... he cannot read the LXX, only a translation of it.
His English LXX has what is called a root fallacy. The word "direct, establish, determines" is translated in 1851 says "righteousness."

The original Hebrew meaning has the idea of "making a fair decision, judgment"

So, you can either believe a translation of a translation or just go back to the Hebrew.

Who said I can't?

I post Brenton translation before and you go off the deep end. You're such a nice person.

The NETS translation does well.....

All things come upon the unrighteous into their laps, but all righteous things come from the Lord.

Bottom line.... The textual stream of the old Greek text doesn't support what came from a 9th century reconstructed Hebrew text.

FSSL has never really cared to know the truth about the textual history of the OT. He doesn't care now. All he cares about is feel good about himself. The lies found in the Hebrew text of the 9th century is nothing more than that. A lie.

There is no older witness to Proverbs 16 than the ancient Greek texts underlying the LXX.

You cannot read Greek. Trying to make us believe it now? You are two steps away from the original.

The problem is not the Greek word or the Hebrew text behind it. The problem is a root fallacy argument to argue against the translations above.

But then, you would need to be able to read Greek and Hebrew to know that.

FSSL said:
You cannot read Greek. Trying to make us believe it now? You are two steps away from the original.

The problem is not the Greek word or the Hebrew text behind it. The problem is a root fallacy argument to argue against the translations above.

Who said I can't read Greek? No one but you.....

The Old Greek and Hebrew text do not match. Are you saying they match?

Either way, you have never cared about the LXX. Never. You're a HebrewOnlyist.

FSSL, you can't take the position! I'll never get to meet you in MI.

Of course with that huge salary you and Mrs. FSSL could put a nice addition on the house.  ;D

Don't worry. I am not taking or even applying for it. I would be stuck in the southern gospel services.

But seriously, I am happily serving without any of the politics or demands of expectations.

My earnings outweigh the salary... but that isn't the reason.

FSSL said:

The LXX Greek word translated "right" is within the semantic range of the Hebrew word translated "decide." So, the Greek, chosen hastily by the LXX translators, is not a wrong decision.

It becomes a root fallacy when the English translations of the LXX override the meaning of the Hebrew. While the word in the LXX is, at its root, meaning "right," it only has overlap if the word "right" is understood as a "legal right," "proper judgement/decision."

Therefore, the translations quoted by ReformedIFB are more clear than the ultra-literal English translations of the LXX.

Your mistake is importing the wrong concept of "right" on both the LXX and Hebrew.

If you had the LXX lexicon by Lust, you would see this as part of the definition... "legal or civil rights."

FSSL said:
FSSL said:

The LXX Greek word translated "right" is within the semantic range of the Hebrew word translated "decide." So, the Greek, chosen hastily by the LXX translators, is not a wrong decision.

It becomes a root fallacy when the English translations of the LXX override the meaning of the Hebrew. While the word in the LXX is, at its root, meaning "right," it only has overlap if the word "right" is understood as a "legal right," "proper judgement/decision."

Therefore, the translations quoted by ReformedIFB are more clear than the ultra-literal English translations of the LXX.

Your mistake is importing the wrong concept of "right" on both the LXX and Hebrew.

If you had the LXX lexicon by Lust, you would see this as part of the definition... "legal or civil rights."

How many times are you going edit/change what you say? I bet you changed it twice while I was trying to respond. You're all over the place with it....

There is a reason why you didn't quote what I wrote. Lets review....

Lets insert the word "decide" in the NETS translation.

All things come upon the undecided into their laps, but all decided things come from the Lord.

You're so full of crap.

The root fallacy argument came from HebrewOnlyist that pretend they know what the original Hebrew text say . For example here in Proverbs 16 they reference a 9th century Hebrew text and pretend they know. Sorry. That doesn't work. You can't interject a 9th century Hebrew text into the past and pretend its always been there. It wasn't. Note even close. The earliest Greek texts of Proverbs 16 are hundreds of years closer to the original than the text you reference. So... SIR.... you present a "Red Herring" fallacy. I know you don't care. You never have. You only regurgitate what you've been told. Nothing more than worthless Pig slop.

That's a fitting name. "Lust".

You so horribly messed up in the last LXX argument we had.....  Its disgusting to call Lust's commentary a "lexicon".

Either way I'm done. Enjoy arguing FSSL. I'm through trying to change your mind. You can't change a Calvinist mind. I've tried and tried and tried and tried over the years. They feel as if they are right where God wants them. Right or wrong....... perfect in God's Sovereign way....

Well there we are! You were done before you made the last two posts.

Why should I be convinced?

"FSSL is full of crap and a LXX scholar has a dirty name."

This has nothing to do with me being a Calvinist. You cannot be convincing with stereotypes. This has everything to do with you being unable to counter the argument with any kind of intelligence. Use that Greek knowledge you say you possess!