You might be an IFB If…

I'm not sure now. There is a Dole vs. Shenadoah Baptist Church that I had always thought was the case again Shenadoah Bible Baptist ( they added Bible in at some point), however I just read the case and the school's name was Roanoke Valley which I'm sure was never the name of the school with Shenadoah Bible Baptist. However, there is a trailer park next to the church that I remember the pastor talking about they had to sell the land off when they were fighting the court case through the courts back in the 80s. Maybe they were fighting their case in the courts when the other Shenadoah went to supreme court and settled the issue for other ministries?
I think the legal argument was separation of church and state.
I could see how the legal argument of religious exemption and liberty would be invoked generally, but I just can't believe that they, in any rational or theological way, tried to overtly justify differing payscales for the same jobs being done by both genders. Of course if it was the 1980s then that was a lot nearer a timeframe where that sort of open sexism was more tolerable.

...if you totally avoid making friendships with lost people for fear that such relationships mean you risk being "unequally yoked"...

YJMBAIFB

if you know what the acrostic B.A.P.T.I.S.T.S stands for...

YJMBAIFB

<for the onlookers who weren't indoctrinated well enough :LOL:>

well i guess that counts me out..... ..here i was believing they named themselves after that fur clad preacher in the wilderness... who dined on locusts and whose head was traded as payment for a dance routine..... .... but then what do i know.... i;m not a real baptist.... - was only adopted by one.... ;)

well i guess that counts me out..... ..here i was believing they named themselves after that fur clad preacher in the wilderness... who dined on locusts and whose head was traded as payment for a dance routine..... .... but then what do i know.... i;m not a real baptist.... - was only adopted by one.... ;)
You don't think John the Baptist knew that acrostic back in the day? hmpfff!

😁

You don't think John the Baptist knew that acrostic back in the day? hmpfff!

😁
he might have had it somewhere in the back of his mind...... but what i think he understood much better in his later moments, was why future baptists would feel so uncomfortable when others danced around them..... ...either way... he never got a chance to elaborate on either one....🤐.

he might have had it somewhere in the back of his mind...... but what i think he understood much better in his later moments, was why future baptists would feel so uncomfortable when others danced around them..... ...either way... he never got a chance to elaborate on either one....🤐.
Baptists don't dance, at least not publicly. 😁

And with that previous segue...

.....if you don't dance, go to pool halls, play cards, or drink demon water!.....

YJMBAIFB

Last edited:
... if you call all homosexuals reprobates.
(Alayman's new thread jogged my memory of this one - my in-laws are guilty of this one).

... if you think that Korah, and she-bears are but just a couple of the weapons in the the preacher's bag of superpowers against critics of the mannagawd...

YJMBAIFB

...if you thought there may have been hope for Falwell when he outed Tinky Winky...

YJMBAIFB

Honorary GEDs? I hadn't heard of that. However, if your church promotes a college that awarded an honorary doctorate to a horse . . . you may be IFB.

Somebody posted this in another chat room back in 2010 - original source unknown:

"Most of the faculty of HAC lack earned doctorates in their teaching fields (with the exception of two faculty members), and for the majority of those holding honorary doctorates were bestowed upon them by their employer, Hyles-Anderson College. Hyles-Anderson College does not maintain a doctoral program. However, it usually issues one or more honorary doctorates every year at the main graduation ceremony in May. The recipients are usually pastors or other ministry workers who have distinguished themselves in the ministry and do not necessarily need to hold an earned degree from the college. In the late 70's, former chancellor Jack Hyles awarded John R Rice's horse "General Douglas MacArthur" an honorary doctorate. The catalog shows that 11 of the faculty and administrators received a D.D. from Hyles-Anderson, including their entire executive administration, and their Chancellor, Jack Schaap."Scholar horse wear graduation hat. Illustration of the cheerful scholar horse wear graduation hat on white background vector illustration

Honorary GEDs? I hadn't heard of that. However, if your church promotes a college that awarded an honorary doctorate to a horse . . . you may be IFB.

Somebody posted this in another chat room back in 2010 - original source unknown:

"Most of the faculty of HAC lack earned doctorates in their teaching fields (with the exception of two faculty members), and for the majority of those holding honorary doctorates were bestowed upon them by their employer, Hyles-Anderson College. Hyles-Anderson College does not maintain a doctoral program. However, it usually issues one or more honorary doctorates every year at the main graduation ceremony in May. The recipients are usually pastors or other ministry workers who have distinguished themselves in the ministry and do not necessarily need to hold an earned degree from the college. In the late 70's, former chancellor Jack Hyles awarded John R Rice's horse "General Douglas MacArthur" an honorary doctorate. The catalog shows that 11 of the faculty and administrators received a D.D. from Hyles-Anderson, including their entire executive administration, and their Chancellor, Jack Schaap."Scholar horse wear graduation hat. Illustration of the cheerful scholar horse wear graduation hat on white background vector illustration
Which Jackass did the presentation to a horse? I could just see that! ;)

Just horsing around at Hyles-Anderson College - see this link:

Jack Schaap sentencing postponed to March 20th | SHARPER IRON

I was at the '78 Pastors' school

Jim - Fri, 01/25/2013 - 6:42pm
I was at the '78 Pastors' school - The one where Hyles gave John R Rice's horse, MacArthur, an honorary Doctorate. Upon receipt, the horse defecated filling the arena with the smell of horse manure.

It was a life-changing event!
Twitter(link is external)

jimfrank's picture

Rice's Horse

jimfrank - Fri, 01/25/2013 - 7:10pm
Jim, Please tell me you are kidding about John R. Rice's horse. PLEASE tell me it's a bad joke!!!
Jim's picture

No kidding ....

Jim - Fri, 01/25/2013 - 7:15pm

jimfrank wrote:

Jim, Please tell me you are kidding about John R. Rice's horse. PLEASE tell me it's a bad joke!!!

No kidding. I was there. Can't find much on the web about it but here's one link

http://www.kjvonly.org/bob/ross_rice_reply_to_fuller.htm(link is external)

Quote:
He also decided that Mrs. Riplinger should be elevated to "Doctor;" and since he had years ago given a similar "degree" to Dr. Rice's horse, named MacArthur, I suppose Hyles figured that if a horse deserved such a degree, it would not be below his standards to give one to Mrs. Riplinger.

Here's another reference:

http://www.stufffundieslike.com/2012/03/a-snowballs-chance/(link is external)

(see comments)

Quote:
Why does my mind turn to the 1970s when Jack Hyles awarded an honorary doctorate to John Rice’s horse. I understand that the horse deficated right on the stage, and those that followed had to watch where they stepped. A Maranatha music faculty member also received an honorary doctorate right after the horse. He joked about it, but down deep I think that he believed that it cheapened the award.

I believe it was the Hammond

Matthew Richards - Sat, 01/26/2013 - 11:00am
I believe it was the Hammond Civic Center just down the road where Rice's horse received his degree and took a dump on the stage. I witnessed Jack Sr taking a dump on the sanctuary stage for a couple decades. Would have been more edified with horse crap.
Matthew

I rise in defense of the horse

Robert Byers - Sat, 01/26/2013 - 7:15pm
I rise to speak in defense of the horse. It wasn't his fault!
I knew General of the Armies Douglas MacArthur II. He was a kind and gentle horse who let little kids like me ride on his back without complaint. He loved apples, and if you gave him one he would be your friend forever. Dr. Rice loved riding that horse. It was one of his greatest outlets for relaxation. A number of times I saw him up on that horse (in suit and tie and dress shoes because he didn't want to take time to change after work) riding across the pasture into the evening sun.
Don't blame the horse!
In all seriousness, the "degree" was completely tongue in cheek. General MacArthur II was given a Doctor of Horse Sense degree, which came with one of Dr. Hyles' poems written in the voice of the horse longing for the circuit riding preacher days so that he could carry Dr. Rice to his meetings. (One memorable line: "I'm not mad at airplanes, but may they all burn.") There are a lot of things to complain about regarding Hammond, but that one (for me at least--although maybe I'm biased because I liked the horse) was more good clean fun than a sign of an out of control empire.
Randy Henry's picture

Rice's Horse Doctorate

Randy Henry - Tue, 03/12/2013 - 11:31am
Yes it happened. I was there seated stage right. Everyone who tells it leaves out the the part that got the biggest laugh. The event unfolded as such (we were in the civic center, not the church). A poem was being read of, for and about the horse (I forget the horses name, and who was reading the poem). Picture a stage with a horse near the podium and a man reading a poem to the horse.
Towards the end of the poem, the horse defecates. The crowd chuckles fairly loud, but the reader keeps reciting the poem. Hyles, who was sitting on the platform behind the speaker, stepped up beside the reader (still reading) interrupted him (still reading the poem that was about the horse). Hyles put his mouth close to the mic and said: "I don't think he likes the poem."
That had the crowd, including me, laughing till we were winded. It's classic Hyles whit and timing. And for future generations who observe IFB peculiarities, it serves as an example of some of the things we did were kind of dumb (doctorate, and poem for a horse with the horse present in a Pastor's Seminar Wednesday night service) (I know, FBC called it Pastor's School).