30th Youth Conference

JustABigKid

Elect
Reaction score
So next month is the 30th Youth Conference at WHBC. I have seen few remarks about it. Any idea what the theme is and how many they expect?

Are they bringing back Game night behind the school, or bowling, or skating, or Frontier City?

I remember when attending and there was over 1,000 kids with the floor and balcony packed all week.

JustABigKid said:
So next month is the 30th Youth Conference at WHBC. I have seen few remarks about it. Any idea what the theme is and how many they expect?

Are they bringing back Game night behind the school, or bowling, or skating, or Frontier City?

I remember when attending and there was over 1,000 kids with the floor and balcony packed all week.

Here is their link.

http://whbcyouthconference.org/

Attendence, I would guess about 300 to 400 max

As a teen/college student, I worked in many Youth Conferences at Windsor Hills.  My kids will never attend one...... ever.

Free at Last said:
As a teen/college student, I worked in many Youth Conferences at Windsor Hills.  My kids will never attend one...... ever.

Sounds like you and I might have alot in common.

I like to think of people like us as survivors.  When you try to explain to people the things that have gone on there, they just look at you with a completely unbelieving stare like, "What in the world possessed you to stay there???"  I guess I have to say that at the time because of family, I had no choice.

Free at Last said:
I like to think of people like us as survivors.  When you try to explain to people the things that have gone on there, they just look at you with a completely unbelieving stare like, "What in the world possessed you to stay there???"  I guess I have to say that at the time because of family, I had no choice.

Unfortunately kids are locked in there because of their parents.  Did you see, as a kid, all the hypocracy, double standards and many other problems with the WHBC? 

Absolutely, but I was around it so much I didn't know anything else.  I thought all Baptist churches were that way.

Free at Last said:
Absolutely, but I was around it so much I didn't know anything else.  I thought all Baptist churches were that way.

So sad..... 

That place has ruined so many

Free at Last said:

And the grief that you receive when you do leave is just crazy and it continues for many years after as well.

Just me said:
Do you all remember the youth conference referenced in this story?

http://www.danburrell.com/?p=577

This is one of the many reasons why people stopped going. I remember when game night was taken to the camp. The first couple of times was ok. They had tug o war in the mud pit and few other cool activities. Then this year it became this gun show thing and was just horrible.

JustABigKid said:
Just me said:

This is one of the many reasons why people stopped going. I remember when game night was taken to the camp. The first couple of times was ok. They had tug o war in the mud pit and few other cool activities. Then this year it became this gun show thing and was just horrible.

This absolutely was one of the bigger reasons people quit that place.  Send your 14 - 17 year old sons and daughters to Youth Conference and they might come home with an assault rifle!!!  That place is absolutely crazy to go there but they do all the time with no appologies.

When the church first bought the property for Windsor in the Wilds it made me have visions of Jim Jones and Jonestown.  (Alot of simularities between the two Jims in my opinion) But as a church member you have no say in any of the decisions so you go along like a good sheeple would.  It was presented as a good idea for a camp.  Latter on the truth of the retirement home for JAV came out and people just shook their heads and said figures.  That never materialized and it went strictly the way of the camp.

Churches sent their young people at first but then it slowed down due to the camp being a joke compared to other church camps.  So they moved the Youth Conference game night to the camp as a big promotional event.  All that did was serve to put another dagger in an already dying youth conference.

Haha, no I was not there for any of that stuff.  That was way after my time.  It was wacky enough when I was there many years ago... ;)

Just me said:
JustABigKid said:
Just me said:

This absolutely was one of the bigger reasons people quit that place.  Send your 14 - 17 year old sons and daughters to Youth Conference and they might come home with an assault rifle!!!  That place is absolutely crazy to go there but they do all the time with no appologies.

When the church first bought the property for Windsor in the Wilds it made me have visions of Jim Jones and Jonestown.  (Alot of simularities between the two Jims in my opinion) But as a church member you have no say in any of the decisions so you go along like a good sheeple would.  It was presented as a good idea for a camp.  Latter on the truth of the retirement home for JAV came out and people just shook their heads and said figures.  That never materialized and it went strictly the way of the camp.

Churches sent their young people at first but then it slowed down due to the camp being a joke compared to other church camps.  So they moved the Youth Conference game night to the camp as a big promotional event.  All that did was serve to put another dagger in an already dying youth conference.

I do have to say I know the man who is running the camp now and has pretty much full control of what goes on. He has really helped it to become a pretty decent camp. They had like 179 campers last week. Despite the other problems around there he has done a good job at the camp and really truly loves God and loves what he is doing.

Free at Last said:
Haha, no I was not there for any of that stuff.  That was way after my time.  It was wacky enough when I was there many years ago... ;)

So what were some of the wacky things you dealt with?

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is "Mike Crunch" the "Karate" expert.  It was just a spoof, but I can't say what he did because it was so politically incorrect it made me shake my head in embarrassment. 
he only would show up during the Youth Conferences. 

Free at Last said:
Well, the first thing that comes to mind is "Mike Crunch" the "Karate" expert.  It was just a spoof, but I can't say what he did because it was so politically incorrect it made me shake my head in embarrassment. 

Ah yes, Mike Crunch Finn.  His KKK line was so politically incorrect I also use to cringe everytime he said it.  But JAV loved it and so did his right hand man Ross.

As a teen how many decisions did you make under the pressure to surrender to the field of the year during those conferences.  Some of the ones I remember were: Russia for a couple of years, the boats to amazon, Africa one year and the infamous take the light campaign (with the candles handed out to those who would surrender to go). 
I think those happened during your time there Free at Last.  Of course there were many others over the years.

Just me said:
Free at Last said:

Ah yes, Mike Crunch Finn.  His KKK line was so politically incorrect I also use to cringe everytime he said it.  But JAV loved it and so did his right hand man Ross.

As a teen how many decisions did you make under the pressure to surrender to the field of the year during those conferences.  Some of the ones I remember were: Russia for a couple of years, the boats to amazon, Africa one year and the infamous take the light campaign (with the candles handed out to those who would surrender to go). 
I think those happened during your time there Free at Last.  Of course there were many others over the years.

They quoted the "KKK" line for years and now they wonder why they are on a hate list????

JustABigKid said:
Just me said:
Free at Last said:

They quoted the "KKK" line for years and now they wonder why they are on a hate list????

Yep, talking about Killing certain segments of society for Khrist at youth conferences as well as planning to give away assault rifles at the same youth conferences.  Then later it was no longer KKK but became MMM (Mutilate a Muslims for the Messiah) if I recall correctly.

Hate group... what??????

Oh my, I had no idea about the MMM.  Wow! No, I didn't make any decisions because I'm stubborn like that.  I don't fall for the "emotional alter call"