A Name From the Past...

Billy (Grooms)

Another freebird former fundy who brought tons of spunk to the forum. He loved giving me a hard time about my rigid authoritarianism (often calling me “Chief”) and I his leniency. Would have loved to meetup with him.

Miss you “deputy” Billy😉😊
Billy and I got into some disagreements on the old FFF....Then later on we reconnected on FB and he and I battled in the "Southern Baptists" forum. He finally disappeared for some reason. My wife and I had talked about moving to SC where he is, but, the Lord temporarily closed those doors. Though we had some disagreements, we never let it void our friendship.

Billy and I got into some disagreements on the old FFF....Then later on we reconnected on FB and he and I battled in the "Southern Baptists" forum. He finally disappeared for some reason. My wife and I had talked about moving to SC where he is, but, the Lord temporarily closed those doors. Though we had some disagreements, we never let it void our friendship.
Is he still in SC? I thought he moved to Disney World. :D

I kept up with Billy until the pandemic drove him off of social media. Probably a move that I should have made.

Is he still in SC? I thought he moved to Disney World. :D
I don't know if he is or not. He's a few years older than me and was talking about retiring. I never heard if he did or didn't. The pandemic sort of made us lose track of each other.

TheMagneticFields

A Tennessee Temple grad if I remember correctly. One of those fellas that often challenged the status quo assumptions (fundys usually) of arguments by asking probing and provocative questions, a real thinker and nice addition to the often shallow logic that frequently reared its head on the FFF, and he seemed to do that with non-threatening questions.

Last edited:
FundamentalDan

Dan was a graduate of Oklahoma Baptist College (big Jim Vineyard) and was making his exit from that form of fundamentalism. He was very contemplative and if I remember correctly, he had his own blog where he wrote of the problems within OBC/HAC/Funnymentalism.

At the time that he was participating on the forum I was a bit defensive of that brand of fundamentalism and I did not know his identity. I discovered who he was sometime later after he had written and participated on the forum fairly extensively. It turns out that Dan had been in the OBC singing group (The Ambassadors) who toured throughout the summer, and we had hosted him and the other members in our home on a stop at our church.

As we hosted them that evening, we had lots of fun talking to him, shooting pool, and getting to know those young men who were to be Christian ministers in training. In the course of conversation one of the boys from the group confessed to us that while he had been touring as an ideal representative of the college, that he had tremendous anxiety, because he was hiding a secret, he knew that he was not even saved. It was an eye-opener for me because he had been raised in a Christian home, son of a deacon, attending a fundamentalist Christian college, but he didn’t know the saving grace and transformative work of the gospel of Christ. Can you imagine the guilt and hypocrisy he must’ve felt? It reminded me of a “rip your face off” type of sermon that I had heard from Jeff Owens, titled “Don’t go to Hell from Hyles Anderson College”, which was basically a severe warning to not live an outward life of Christianity, going about doing good, living a pretend Christian life, and then dying and going to hell.

Anyway, sorry about the trip down memory lane, but I wonder what Dan is up to today.

FundamentalDan

Dan was a graduate of Oklahoma Baptist College (big Jim Vineyard) and was making his exit from that form of fundamentalism. He was very contemplative and if I remember correctly, he had his own blog where he wrote of the problems within OBC/HAC/Funnymentalism.

At the time that he was participating on the forum I was a bit defensive of that brand of fundamentalism and I did not know his identity. I discovered who he was sometime later after he had written and participated on the forum fairly extensively. It turns out that Dan had been in the OBC singing group (The Ambassadors) who toured throughout the summer, and we had hosted him and the other members in our home on a stop at our church.

As we hosted them that evening, we had lots of fun talking to him, shooting pool, and getting to know those young men who were to be Christian ministers in training. In the course of conversation one of the boys from the group confessed to us that while he had been touring as an ideal representative of the college, that he had tremendous anxiety, because he was hiding a secret, he knew that he was not even saved. It was an eye-opener for me because he had been raised in a Christian home, son of a deacon, attending a fundamentalist Christian college, but he didn’t know the saving grace and transformative work of the gospel of Christ. Can you imagine the guilt and hypocrisy he must’ve felt? It reminded me of a “rip your face off” type of sermon that I had heard from Jeff Owens, titled “Don’t go to Hell from Hyles Anderson College”, which was basically a severe warning to not live an outward life of Christianity, going about doing good, living a pretend Christian life, and then dying and going to hell.

Anyway, sorry about the trip down memory lane, but I wonder what Dan is up to today.
I remember Fundamental Dan and do hope he is doing well these days.

I have been listening to some of the "Preacher Boys" podcasts and learned that Eric Skwarczynski (who owns the channel) has walked away from the faith and no longer considers himself a Christian. Sadly, this is becoming way too common and I would guess that it has much to do with the shoddy evangelization practices in the wacky IFB world? We used to twist and manipulate people into "Praying a Prayer" with us and then "Getting them Dunked" as soon as possible thereafter and then wonder why they completely disappear off the radar! All I have to say regarding the matter is I am glad I do not owe my "Salvation" to the IFB movement!

This is why I am so adamant about the stand I take these days and why I have chosen "Man's Total Depravity" as the topic of my Master's Thesis! If you get the doctrine of total depravity wrong, you will likely get the Gospel message wrong with catastrophic results and I believe we are seeing the fruit of this!

I am currently developing some "Personal Evangelism" training for people in our Church and this is a matter we have got to get right!

I am currently developing some "Personal Evangelism" training for people in our Church and this is a matter we have got to get right!
I'd love to have a look see at some of this material. I'm in the process of revamping how I evangelize and since we seem to be coming to similar conclusions, I'd love to hear what you have to say. I am very fond of my church and it's commitment to evangelism but I'm not a fan of the 1-2-3 pray after me Model. Yet, rather than critique it, I'd prefer to get out and do the work of an evangelist myself.

I'd love to have a look see at some of this material. I'm in the process of revamping how I evangelize and since we seem to be coming to similar conclusions, I'd love to hear what you have to say. I am very fond of my church and it's commitment to evangelism but I'm not a fan of the 1-2-3 pray after me Model. Yet, rather than critique it, I'd prefer to get out and do the work of an evangelist myself.
It will be a while but in the meantime, check out Ray Comfort's material as I will be borrowing a good bit from him. Two main things I will key in on is that the gospel is irrelevant unless you establish the "need." By the law is the knowledge of sin, Etc. Secondly, I will stress that God is the one who does the saving. Our job is to make the best presentation we can and then leave things up to God. No arm twisting and depart as friends whenever and wherever possible.

Bobby Ross

A pastor on the conservative side of the Freebird/IFBx side of the equation, who was another one of those gracious fellas that stuck to his convictions without using ad hominem or poor logic to argue his perspective.

Quit. Wigged out over not being allowed to post nude photos of women, then subsequently stomped off in a huff.
Right after he had started making sense, finally....
Maybe it's the entertainment I miss.

BuckeyeBaptist

A great man who knew which team matters, AND the right denominational loyalty (in the proper order)!

😁