Attendance at IFB colleges

Tarheel Baptist said:
RAIDER said:
rsc2a said:
Because you are an impressionable teenager, unusually so due to your sheltered upbringing,  and the authority figures in your life suggest it.

Kids that go off to college (Christian and secular) many times do not go into the field for which they studied.  Let's say I attended a public university and received a degree in meteorology.  Two years after I graduate I decide meteorology is not for me.  I now want to be a physical therapist.  I'm not going to get mad at the university I attended because I have to take other classes to pursue my new direction.  It's my decision.

Your point is well taken.
Given that, I also think the numbers are down at IFB colleges because kids today value an 'accredited degree' much more than your or my generation.
Even a Bible College we support in the Caribbean is dying because it does not grant accredited degrees.
Evangelical Pastors and churches today value accredited degrees much more than in the past.
In our town, we have two Christian Schools, one requires accredited degrees for teachers, the other, older, school doesn't. The older school, once thriving, is dying and last year the board voted to require future hires to have degrees from accredited schools.

The world is what it is and, to remain viable, schools must change.
As long as the change doesn't require Biblical compromise, they should be made.

I agree.  In my post I was responding to the poster that said a degree from a non-accredited college was a total waste of time. 

rsc2a said:
RAIDER said:
rsc2a said:
RAIDER said:
rsc2a said:
RAIDER said:
no value said:
Had a young man in our church years ago who worked his way through four years of Crown College. The boy worked hard and finished with degree in hand...which got him an entry-level position at McDonald's. He's manager today at the local Mickey D's. Not bad for four years of IFB-drivel not to mention the thousands of dollars in tuition, room/board and books. All down the drain. What a waste. :(

That is an isolated case.  Many of us graduated from an IFB college and have used our degree to get fantastic jobs.

Just not any jobs that require accredited degrees.  ;)

Correct

Engineer,  doctor,  CPA, nurse,  physical therapist,  teacher...

Why would you go to HAC if you wanted to be an engineer, doctor, nurse, physical therapist, or teach in a public school?  ;)

Because you are an impressionable teenager, unusually so due to your sheltered upbringing,  and the authority figures in your life suggest it.

The PARENTS are to blame not the Pastor, Sunday School Teacher or the College President. 

To much of the blame is shifted to someone else when the parents are responsible for the child and helping them make life decisions. 

Don't blame the college or the church your parents attended for getting you to attend a Bible College when you have no business there to began with. 

Blame your parents for not teaching you to make good life decisions.

I believe part of the problem as well is that many not all but many that are graduating in today's society do not know how to use the skills they do have and make a living with it.  Again, blame the parents.   

20-25 years ago it was a lot easier to rise to a good position within a company without an accredited degree. Nowadays, it is so easy for an employer to verify the quality of the degree,  these unaccredited ones are no longer of value. With the rise of diploma mills, employers are more keen to check for accreditation.

RAIDER said:
no value said:
Had a young man in our church years ago who worked his way through four years of Crown College. The boy worked hard and finished with degree in hand...which got him an entry-level position at McDonald's. He's manager today at the local Mickey D's. Not bad for four years of IFB-drivel not to mention the thousands of dollars in tuition, room/board and books. All down the drain. What a waste. :(

That is an isolated case.  Many of us graduated from an IFB college and have used our degree to get fantastic jobs.

If that is the ONLY place he can find a job, then maybe just maybe he has found a good fit for himself. 

Bruh said:
The PARENTS are to blame not the Pastor, Sunday School Teacher or the College President. 

To much of the blame is shifted to someone else when the parents are responsible for the child and helping them make life decisions. 

Don't blame the college or the church your parents attended for getting you to attend a Bible College when you have no business there to began with. 

Blame your parents for not teaching you to make good life decisions.

I believe part of the problem as well is that many not all but many that are graduating in today's society do not know how to use the skills they do have and make a living with it.  Again, blame the parents. 

Preach it, brother!!

I learned from my mistake, and bad choices!

AmazedbyGrace said:
20-25 years ago it was a lot easier to rise to a good position within a company without an accredited degree. Nowadays, it is so easy for an employer to verify the quality of the degree,  these unaccredited ones are no longer of value. With the rise of diploma mills, employers are more keen to check for accreditation.

While I know your scenario is valid, I still know many employers looking for someone with a college degree (they don't care what it is in) to fill a position.  The degree shows them that the individual viewed an education as important.  It shows that they finished something.  Again, there are plenty of jobs that fit your post. 

Bruh said:
Tom Brennan said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Schaap was not a Johnny-Come-Lately.  He was an integral part of the college beginning in 96 when he became VP.  Even before that, he was one of the chosen - a charismatic speaker who drew long lines for his classes and counseling (if we can call it that).  The system in place had backed him and his heresy for almost a decade as their pastor.  His doctrinal and procedural errors were theirs.  Then the court case and criminal trial.

Just because Schaap is in prison, doesn't mean anyone should trust the same establishment that booted him and turned him into the police.  If the establishment didn't have the wisdom to see....... how can they train me?

This is a valid part of the problem (regarding student enrollment at HAC). I know dozens of alumni pastoring churches. I can count on one hand those who still actively seek to send their students to our alma mater. Most of that withdrawal began under Schaap long before he ever blew up, and that blow up only solidified/made easier such decisions of withdrawal. The decline in student enrollment is also aggravated by the other options available, some of which have been mentioned on this thread.

...but, back to this quote, there are still a bunch of men, including myself, who even though JS is gone cannot find it in themselves to recommend HAC. There has been no large scale shake up of the staff at either the church or the school, and most of us think there desperately needed to be one. In a sense, I can understand why Wilkerson won't do that. I'm assuming he doesn't want to damage an already fragile church situation. But the result of that is many alumni don't trust the staff at either institution. Either they were too spiritually inept to notice what was wrong with Schaap, or they were too cowardly, too much yes men to do anything about it. In either case, who would trust them with their children?

Yes, John Wilkerson is working hard at repairing relationships with alumni around the country and he is wise to do that. But other than him being in the pulpit what has changed about the church or the college that would make us comfortable with it? Nothing that I can see, and therein lies a serious problem.

The sheep are only doing what they were taught under JH.  I'm sure no one would disagree, that JH taught that, you do not question the Pastor. JS, knew this. 

IMO, JH bred a bunch of cowards, be it JS, Moffit, Young, Lapina or any other of the insiders.  They all allowed JS to teach what he taught.  The church as a whole is to blame but there again, this is what they were taught. 

IM0, it is very sad that these men do not know the Bible enough to know that they had all authority to make JS step down.

Thomas Cassidy said:
Maranatha Baptist University, Watertown, Wisconsin. Fully accredited, 1400 enrolled this fall. Quite possibly the finest IFB school on the planet. :)

http://www.mbu.edu/

What a crock!
2nd class citizens need not apply....

" Maranatha

An application to the main campus in Watertown from a divorced person or one married to a divorced person will not be processed."

groupie said:
What a crock!

" Maranatha

An application to the main campus in Watertown from a divorced person or one married to a divorced person will not be processed."

As an alumnus of said school... I agree with groupie.

groupie said:
Thomas Cassidy said:
Maranatha Baptist University, Watertown, Wisconsin. Fully accredited, 1400 enrolled this fall. Quite possibly the finest IFB school on the planet. :)

http://www.mbu.edu/

What a crock!

" Maranatha

Then don't apply. Duh!

Believe me, I would not be bothered to apply at some cornball so called college that puts divorcées into a class of seconds as if they are expired grocery store goods. That is the most pathetic form of Pharisutical behavior that I have seen in a long time. The rule will change one one of their anointed ends up in divorce court. Then it will be AOK. 

groupie said:
Believe me, I would not be bothered to apply at some cornball so called college that puts divorcées into a class of seconds as if they are expired grocery store goods. That is the most pathetic form of Pharisutical behavior that I have seen in a long time. The rule will change one one of their anointed ends up in divorce court. Then it will be AOK.
Yes, by all means, blame the college for your inability to treat your wife in a manner that gives her an incentive to stay married to you. (You remember, "Husbands love your wives even as Christ loved the church . . . ")

Yep. All the college's fault. Uh huh. Sure.

Doesn't this requirement undermine their designation as a university? They are not training just pastors. They believe divorced or married to divorcee eliminates one from pastorate.

MBU trains business majors, nurses, teachers (Christian and public).

This rule is antiquated from the Cedarholm era. Too bad they were more concerned with the PR of the "Crusader" mascot than they were with actual biblical qualifications.

FSSL said:
Doesn't this requirement undermine their designation as a university? They are not training just pastors. They believe divorced or married to divorcee eliminates one from pastorate.

MBU trains business majors, nurses, teachers (Christian and public).
I agree. Non-ministry majors should probably be exempt from that requirement.
This rule is antiquated from the Cedarholm era. Too bad they were more concerned with the PR of the "Crusader" mascot than they were with actual biblical qualifications.
It is probably a holdover from the Cedarholm era, but I agree insofar as ministry majors are concerned.

And I also believe the college has the right to make any rules it sees fit. If I don't like them I am free to look elsewhere for my education.

Gah! That distinction needs to die!  I am in ministry...

...at the firm I work for,  in my neighborhood,  at my kids' school,  at...

And I also believe the college has the right to make any rules it sees fit. If I don't like them I am free to look elsewhere for my education.

University... get it right! lol!

Up until 1983, you had to get Cedarholm's permission to get engaged EVEN if both sets of parents were in agreement.

Ahhhhh..... the good old fundy life!

FSSL said:

University... get it right! lol!

Up until 1983, you had to get Cedarholm's permission to get engaged EVEN if both sets of parents were in agreement.

Ahhhhh..... the good old fundy life!
It was the same way at Central when I got married back in the 70s. I had to have Doc Clearwater's permission to marry during interterm. Going on 40 years ago. And it just keeps getting better and better. :)

Thomas Cassidy said:
groupie said:
Yes, by all means, blame the college for your inability to treat your wife in a manner that gives her an incentive to stay married to you. (You remember, "Husbands love your wives even as Christ loved the church . . . ")

Yep. All the college's fault. Uh huh. Sure.

I am not divorced. I am married.