Bizarre but serious question

The Rogue Tomato

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Regarding this verse:

Acts 15:29 You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality.

How would they know what meat was from a strangled animal?  Did people who sold meat actually label their meat "this section over here is meat from strangled animals"?  Was it common practice for people to strangle their own animals to get meat? 

For all I know they may have... I'm not familiar with grocery practices of the first century, which is why this is a serious question. 

Disease sits in the blood and if the animal isn't slaughtered, there is a higher risk for meat contamination.

There are current regulations about this as well:

Selected Principles of U.S. Federal Food Law

U.S. federal food law applies to all food in "interstate commerce"; foods "not in interstate commerce" are regulated only by state law.  Most foods fit the definition of being in interstate commerce, however, because they are moved across a state line, or an ingredient has been moved across a state line.

Adulterated or misbranded food cannot be sold.  Not being able to sell food products often is an adequate penalty because a food business is in business to sell food.  If the business cannot sell its product, it will not remain in business.

*Adulterated food means any food that 1) contains any substance, food additive, or pesticide chemical residue which may render it injurious to health or unsafe; 2) consists of any filthy, putrid, or decomposed substance; 3) is unfit for food; 4) has been prepared, packed, or held under insanitary conditions whereby it may have become contaminated; 5) is the product of a diseased animal or an animal that died other than by slaughter; 6) its container is composed of any substance which may render the contents injurious to health; or 7) has been intentionally irradiated. 21 U.S.C. 342.

*Misbranded food means any food that 1) its labeling or advertising is false or misleading; 2) is offered for sale under the name of another food; 3) is an imitation of another food but the label does not bear the word ?imitation?; 4) its container is made or filled to be misleading; or 5) its label does not provide i) the name and place of the manufacturer, and ii) an accurate statement of the quantity of the contents in terms of weight, measure, or numerical count. 21 U.S.C. 343.

Regulation of the U.S. Food Processing Sector

The commandment is nonsensical in many ways. James "the Just" didn't know what he was doing.

The only way to have known for sure was to slaughter the animal yourself. I get into this from time to time with different Muslim friends I have over their practice of "halal".

They can't know everything they eat has meet the "test".

Besides. I love a good medium rare steak. Anyone in their right mind does... .:)

James can keep his "opinions" to himself.

Smellin Coffee said:
Disease sits in the blood and if the animal isn't slaughtered, there is a higher risk for meat contamination.

U.S. federal food law applies to all food in "interstate commerce"; foods "not in interstate commerce" are regulated only by state law.  Most foods fit the definition of being in interstate commerce, however, because they are moved across a state line, or an ingredient has been moved across a state line.

Adulterated or misbranded food cannot be sold.  Not being able to sell food products often is an adequate penalty because a food business is in business to sell food.  If the business cannot sell its product, it will not remain in business.

*Adulterated food means any food that 1) contains any substance, food additive, or pesticide chemical residue which may render it injurious to health or unsafe; 2) consists of any filthy, putrid, or decomposed substance; 3) is unfit for food; 4) has been prepared, packed, or held under insanitary conditions whereby it may have become contaminated; 5) is the product of a diseased animal or an animal that died other than by slaughter; 6) its container is composed of any substance which may render the contents injurious to health; or 7) has been intentionally irradiated. 21 U.S.C. 342.

*Misbranded food means any food that 1) its labeling or advertising is false or misleading; 2) is offered for sale under the name of another food; 3) is an imitation of another food but the label does not bear the word ?imitation?; 4) its container is made or filled to be misleading; or 5) its label does not provide i) the name and place of the manufacturer, and ii) an accurate statement of the quantity of the contents in terms of weight, measure, or numerical count. 21 U.S.C. 343.

That's very interesting, but it has nothing to do with my question.  How would they know in the meat market which meat came from strangled animals?

The Rogue Tomato said:
Smellin Coffee said:

That's very interesting, but it has nothing to do with my question.  How would they know in the meat market which meat came from strangled animals?

Paul, handles this properly. He told his followers to eat..... not asking any questions....

Its more about conscience than anything. If you don't know..... they why does it matter?

Maybe the same way that people today know if something is kosher...the merchant tells them that they have handled the slaughter and preparation of the meat in a kosher manner.  Could the merchant lie, and this not be so...sure but that would be on the merchant, not the customer.  Now once it has been found out that the merchant is not treating the meat properly, and the person still consumes it...then its on them.

T-Bone said:
Maybe the same way that people today know if something is kosher...the merchant tells them that they have handled the slaughter and preparation of the meat in a kosher manner.  Could the merchant lie, and this not be so...sure but that would be on the merchant, not the customer.  Now once it has been found out that the merchant is not treating the meat properly, and the person still consumes it...then its on them.

But if you have to ask, then that contradicts Paul's scriptural command not to ask (I would call it advice, which is what I think it is, but FSSL believes every word Paul said is God breathed, so according to him, it's a command from God himself). 

The Rogue Tomato said:
T-Bone said:

But if you have to ask, then that contradicts Paul's scriptural command not to ask (I would call it advice, which is what I think it is, but FSSL believes every word Paul said is God breathed, so according to him, it's a command from God himself).

Which one makes proper "sense" and which one doesn't?

T-Bone said:

Paul said the meat is nothing. He was right...

Rom 14:14  I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

praise_yeshua said:

Rom 14:14  I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

Better hope your wife doesn't make you a dog-pile sandwich someday! :D

aleshanee said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Regarding this verse:

Acts 15:29 You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality.

How would they know what meat was from a strangled animal?  Did people who sold meat actually label their meat "this section over here is meat from strangled animals"?  Was it common practice for people to strangle their own animals to get meat? 

For all I know they may have... I'm not familiar with grocery practices of the first century, which is why this is a serious question.

it;s not really a bizarre question at all........ there were very good reasons for God to tell the people in ancient times to avoid eating the meat of strangled animals....

in laymans terms........  when death is caused by rapid exsanguination.... (sudden blood loss).... as is the case of animals being slaughtered..... the krebb cycle which occurs in the mitochondria and uses oxygen to produce energy in the form of ATP for the body  - comes to an abrupt stop.......and very little lactic acid is produced to poison or break down the tissues...  .... ....

but when death occurs by strangulation or anything else that causes death through prolonged hypoxia....( inadequate oxygen) ... rather than blood loss.... ... the krebb cycle continues but begins to malfunction..... as the oxygen is depleted the mitochondria begin burning the bodies own sugars which produces large amounts of lactic acid ...... and systemic lactic acidosis in the body occurs.. which in turn breaks down the body tissues...... .........

and in short ..... making a habit of eating meat that died in a such a way can be detrimental to ones health........ so  it;s not just a matter of ceremony or custom which caused strangled animals to be forbidden from being used for food......  but a matter of health.......

How about food properly sacrificed to an idol? or "blood"?

Smellin Coffee said:
praise_yeshua said:

Better hope your wife doesn't make you a dog-pile sandwich someday! :D

I hope she doesn't but I wouldn't be worry about God disapproving if I did..... ;)

To the church at Pergamum:

I have a few things against you: you have some there who hold the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the sons of Israel, so that they might eat food sacrificed to idols and practice sexual immorality...

and to the church at Thyatira:

...you tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess and is teaching and seducing my servants to practice sexual immorality and to eat food sacrificed to idols.

The Rogue Tomato said:
T-Bone said:

I don't have to ask...these merchants will and have for centuries promoted their type of meat preparation in order to attack certain customers.

praise_yeshua said:
T-Bone said:

Did not know this thread was a matter of clean or unclean, but more to meat preparation.

aleshanee said:
T-Bone said:

meat from an animal that died due to strangulation or prolonged hypoxia doesn;t even smell the same as meat from an animal which was slaughtered and died from rapid blood loss........... and i have no idea what it tastes like....... but i would never eat coz just from what i know of cellular biology i know it;s about as unhealthy as meat can get...........

You know about this than I do....

I'll just give my opinion. I don't believe it has anything to do with health. It has more to do with the sacrificial offering of Christ. Its about the shedding of blood. Its not about the animal at all. Its about a foreshadowing of God wondrous works in Christ Jesus..... The real.... MEAT INDEED!

When you have the "Light"... you no longer need the shadow. This something that has long plagued Christianity. People prefer the shadows.... not the Light.

aleshanee said:
T-Bone said:

meat from an animal that died due to strangulation or prolonged hypoxia doesn;t even smell the same as meat from an animal which was slaughtered and died from rapid blood loss........... and i have no idea what it tastes like....... but i would never eat coz just from what i know of cellular biology i know it;s about as unhealthy as meat can get...........

True, which is why when I hunt either my elk or deer, I immediately hang and drain the blood.  And I don't eat one found on the side of the road.

Smellin Coffee said:
To the church at Pergamum:

I have a few things against you: you have some there who hold the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the sons of Israel, so that they might eat food sacrificed to idols and practice sexual immorality...

and to the church at Thyatira:

...you tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess and is teaching and seducing my servants to practice sexual immorality and to eat food sacrificed to idols.

John the Beloved never said such things.... He knew better.

T-Bone said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
T-Bone said:

I don't have to ask...these merchants will and have for centuries promoted their type of meat preparation in order to attack certain customers.

And that's my question.  Did the merchants label the meat so you would know which meat was from strangled animals? 

If so, what's your source for that?

T-Bone said:
aleshanee said:
T-Bone said:

True, which is why when I hunt either my elk or deer, I immediately hang and drain the blood.  And I don't eat one found on the side of the road.

Is that not a good idea?  I guess I have to cancel my possum dinner tonight.