Conservativism Without Christianity

Recovering IFB

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
This pretty much gets to the heart of the matter of what I have been thinking over the past 5 years.
https://newcitytimes.com/news/story/conservatism-without-christianity
From the article:"Let me introduce you to Conservatism without Christianity. This brand of conservatism holds many faithful church attendees, but the Bible is not their final authority. In these churches, the flag stands erect behind the pulpit, sermons speak of hope?a return to the old days, or of fear?of those enemies of flesh and blood, and Donald Trump has become their savior, and they his disciples. Nevertheless, church attendance is optional, because the ultimate authority is not scripture. Their theology is soaked in American Exceptionalism, and their God is America."

Sound familiar?

Recovering IFB said:
This pretty much gets to the heart of the matter of what I have been thinking over the past 5 years.
From the article:"Let me introduce you to Conservatism without Christianity. This brand of conservatism holds many faithful church attendees, but the Bible is not their final authority. In these churches, the flag stands erect behind the pulpit, sermons speak of hope?a return to the old days, or of fear?of those enemies of flesh and blood, and Donald Trump has become their savior, and they his disciples. Nevertheless, church attendance is optional, because the ultimate authority is not scripture. Their theology is soaked in American Exceptionalism, and their God is America."

Sound familiar?
What sounds familiar is people like you and Smellin lying about how Christians can't love their country and serve God at the same time.  What sounds familiar is people like you implying that pastors speaking out against moral issues from the pulpit are mixing politics and religion.  What sounds familiar is taking some hillbilly who supports Donald Trump saying things that aren't appropriate and trashing anyone who supports the policies of the Republican platform which stands for everything opposite of what the Democratic Party stands for on moral issues.

What sounds familiar is people like you who feel they got hurt in a church with an overbearing pastor (and who hasn't) and goes from one extreme to another.  I didn't vote for Donald Trump.  I voted for the platform of the Republican Party and what it stands for as opposed to the moral debauchery of the Democratic Party and what it stand for. 

biscuit1953 said:
Recovering IFB said:

Sound familiar?
What sounds familiar is people like you and Smellin lying about how Christians can't love their country and serve God at the same time.  What sounds familiar is people like you implying that pastors speaking out against moral issues from the pulpit are mixing politics and religion.  What sounds familiar is taking some hillbilly who supports Donald Trump saying things that aren't appropriate and trashing anyone who supports the policies of the Republican platform which stands for everything opposite of what the Democratic Party stands for on moral issues.

What sounds familiar is people like you who feel they got hurt in a church with an overbearing pastor (and who hasn't) and goes from one extreme to another.  I didn't vote for Donald Trump.  I voted for the platform of the Republican Party and what it stands for as opposed to the moral debauchery of the Democratic Party and what it stand for.

WHOOSH!!!!

Party-Platforms-2012.jpg

The current Democratic Party including Hillary Clinton believe a child can be murdered up to the very day they are to be born for any reason. 

subllibrm said:
biscuit1953 said:
Recovering IFB said:

Sound familiar?

WHOOSH!!!!

Perspective is a wonderful thing. I believe that you, and to a greater extent no hope of recovery miss the point. The article referenced by no hope offers extreme illustrations just as the Obama phone video I previously posted.

Trumps populist message does attract extremists, and he is certainly not a conservative in the traditional sense of the word. And he was not and is not my ideal choice...to say the least. But, the broad brush conclusions reached by no hope's OP are ridiculous! Trumo voters, evangelical or otherwise are hardly monolithic, but they do share a conservative philosophy of life and government. When I voted, I labored over my decision for President, but voted for my only viable option.

Did you and no hope of recovery vote in the presidential election.
Did you vote for congressional or senatorial candidates?
State and local officials?

How did you choose said candidates?
My guess would be you chose those who's stated positions were close to your's.

I have no flag on my church platform, and look to Christ as my leader in all things...I am a citizen of heaven first and foremost. I have convictions in my life...spiritual, political and personal. I choose candidates based on those who's stated positions adhere to my convictions. My guess is that's what most people do...even uber spiritual posters like you and no hope!

subllibrm said:
WHOOSH!!!!

Pretty much, huh?

biscuit1953 said:
What sounds familiar is people like you and Smellin lying about how Christians can't love their country and serve God at the same time.
That's not the point of the article, please, re-read it

biscuit1953 said:
What sounds familiar is people like you implying that pastors speaking out against moral issues from the pulpit are mixing politics and religion.
Actually,IMHO, I think you can't speak about politics without Christianity. Where do we get our laws, our ethics? When Christ said " All authority on Heaven and Earth" was given to Him, did He really mean all authority? Did He really mean it? How about Psalm 2? Who rules over the Earth?

biscuit1953 said:
  What sounds familiar is taking some hillbilly who supports Donald Trump saying things that aren't appropriate and trashing anyone who supports the policies of the Republican platform which stands for everything opposite of what the Democratic Party stands for on moral issues.
Well, they have two years to overturn Roe V. Wade; get rid of gay marriage and reverse Obamacare. We will see how much freedom the Republican party actually gives back to the citizens....

biscuit1953 said:
What sounds familiar is people like you who feel they got hurt in a church with an overbearing pastor (and who hasn't) and goes from one extreme to another.
And what extreme was that?? What Biblical areas did I go to that were wrong?? please provide a Scriptural answer please

biscuit1953 said:
  I didn't vote for Donald Trump.  I voted for the platform of the Republican Party and what it stands for as opposed to the moral debauchery of the Democratic Party and what it stand for. 
No, you voted for Trump. A man who is not a believer,  is a covenant breaker, and brags about it....a man who believes he doesn't need to repent for anything...so how is that not "moral debauchery"?

Tarheel Baptist said:
Perspective is a wonderful thing. I believe that you, and to a greater extent no hope of recovery miss the point. The article referenced by no hope offers extreme illustrations just as the Obama phone video I previously posted.
No, it points to people that point to politics without Scripture as the reference or cure to any possible solution to which our country faces. Where people make the government (or, the Beast in Revelation) as their god to whom they serve.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Trumps populist message does attract extremists, and he is certainly not a conservative in the traditional sense of the word. And he was not and is not my ideal choice...to say the least. But, the broad brush conclusions reached by no hope's OP are ridiculous! Trumo voters, evangelical or otherwise are hardly monolithic, but they do share a conservative philosophy of life and government.
Then why didnt they vote for a true conservative that will give true freedom back to the people, get rid of the bureaucracy, get rid of the Federal Reserve? dismantle the unconstitutional police force? Get rid of the IRS, Get rid of public education?.........

Tarheel Baptist said:
When I voted, I labored over my decision for President, but voted for my only viable option.
see my answers below

Tarheel Baptist said:

I didnt vote for anybody, nobody shared my beliefs. and No, I wont complain about the government like you do..When a true Christian who wants to reinstate God's Law as the Law of the land, then I will vote for them.
"When given the choice between two evils, choose neither"
Spurgeon

Tarheel Baptist said:
I have no flag on my church platform, and look to Christ as my leader in all things...I am a citizen of heaven first and foremost. I have convictions in my life...spiritual, political and personal. I choose candidates based on those who's stated positions adhere to my convictions. My guess is that's what most people do...even uber spiritual posters like you and no hope!
Is He really?? in ALL things??  Then why did you vote for an unbeliever?? If Christ truly reigns, why did you do that? Why did you vote for an unbelieving,unrepentant man like Trump ?? a man who brags his sexual exploits?

Thank God that there were enough Christians with enough sense to understand the importance of protecting our Republic from the inevitable, Hillary!

Many Christians would have hesitated to vote for Abraham Lincoln and Ronald Regan with the standards required today.

Now... to fight to get the constitutional Supreme Court Justice/s installed and build that wall!

Recovering IFB said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
No, it points to people that point to politics without Scripture as the reference or cure to any possible solution to which our country faces. Where people make the government (or, the Beast in Revelation) as their god to whom they serve.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Trumps populist message does attract extremists, and he is certainly not a conservative in the traditional sense of the word. And he was not and is not my ideal choice...to say the least. But, the broad brush conclusions reached by no hope's OP are ridiculous! Trumo voters, evangelical or otherwise are hardly monolithic, but they do share a conservative philosophy of life and government.
Then why didnt they vote for a true conservative that will give true freedom back to the people, get rid of the bureaucracy, get rid of the Federal Reserve? dismantle the unconstitutional police force? Get rid of the IRS, Get rid of public education?.........

Tarheel Baptist said:
When I voted, I labored over my decision for President, but voted for my only viable option.
see my answers below

Tarheel Baptist said:

I didnt vote for anybody, nobody shared my beliefs. and No, I wont complain about the government like you do..When a true Christian who wants to reinstate God's Law as the Law of the land, then I will vote for them.
"When given the choice between two evils, choose neither"
Spurgeon

Tarheel Baptist said:
Is He really?? in ALL things??  Then why did you vote for an unbeliever?? If Christ truly reigns, why did you do that? Why did you vote for an unbelieving,unrepentant man like Trump ?? a man who brags his sexual exploits?

You are so spiritual...you give us all a goal for which to strive.
You didn't vote for anyone...bless your heart.
And you only vote for believers....and you know because you have the gift of judgement...you know my heart and mind!

Hopeless recovery IFB judging and criticizing!
Talk about irony.....

FSSL said:
Thank God that there were enough Christians with enough sense to understand the importance of protecting our Republic from the inevitable, Hillary!

Many Christians would have hesitated to vote for Abraham Lincoln and Ronald Regan with the standards required today.

Now... to fight to get the constitutional Supreme Court Justice/s installed and build that wall!

Obviously Christ is not pre-eminent in your life...to quote hopeless recovery IFB:

Hopeless:
Then why did you vote for an unbeliever?? If Christ truly reigns, why did you do that? Why did you vote for an unbelieving,unrepentant man like Trump ?? a man who brags his sexual exploits?

FWIW the jury is still out on what kind of president Mr. Trump will be.

That said, it seems early to be tying hopes and dreams of societal change to his administration.  But it is never too early to tie them to the Lord and His promises.

subllibrm said:

That said, it seems early to be tying hopes and dreams of societal change to his administration.  But it is never too early to tie them to the Lord and His promises.

True. But there was NO mystery with Hillary, therefore, Trump is President elect!
Who pray tell has said they tie hopes and dreams to Trump?
You sound a tad dramatic to me.  ;)

Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:

True. But there was NO mystery with Hillary, therefore, Trump is President elect!
Who pray tell has said they tie hopes and dreams to Trump?
You sound a tad dramatic to me.  ;)

Well ....

FSSL said:

FWIW it just seems to me that prayer should be weapon number one in this battle.

Well then.... check out our prayer guide posted here: www.fbcgulf.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FSSL said:

Will do! Thanks.  :)

FSSL said:

Great resource.
Here is a link to one we have shared in our church family:
https://billygraham.org/secure/pray-for-leaders-sign-up-page/?SOURCE=BY120PFLG&gclid=CJuUxtDykNECFQwQgQod0DYEXQ

Do we really think that God is going to answer our prayers for a wall?  I don't see how that would fit His agenda. :)

subllibrm said:
Do we really think that God is going to answer our prayers for a wall?  I don't see how that would fit His agenda. :)

Our church family has always been encouraged to pray for the welfare of our country and our governmental leaders. We prayed for Clinton, The Bushes, Obama and now for Trump.

That is a perfectly logical and biblical approach.
I don't understand why you have a problem with it.

subllibrm said:

Strange... Jerusalem had a wall and Christ never minded.

He expects us to protect ourselves. No borders is insane

subllibrm said:

That's funny, neither of the provided prayer guides said anything about building a barrier on our national borders. Maybe you've got your walls confused?