Corporal Punishment at HB

Norefund said:
I can also verify the large wooden paddle with holes drilled in it. The degree of "discipline" vs. "Abuse" was determined by who was administering the swats. If it was Coach Price or Coach Staab (you know, guys who were comfortable with their masculinity), the swats would be firm but fair. God forbid you got them from Bob Auclair as he used the opportunity to bolster his manhood and would swing with everything he had.
I remember the wrist-flick old Dr. Bob would toss in.  Mike Sisson, Tom Vogel...US Marines, but D.B. had to out swat em.  Tru dat assessment!

Anishinabe

Thanks to those who've responded.  I know that there were paddlings--I received them from six of the principals and a few of the teachers in the Jr High school.  While in Jr High, all of the male teachers had their own paddles.  Some used them rarely; others used them far more than they should.

But for the principals, it was all pretty routine.  You were talked to, given swats (usually three), and then prayed with. 

My disagreement with Sherri was she says that "every teacher" that she had in HBGS used the tactic of "piling of encyclopedias" on the outstretched arms of the student.  She started at HBGS in the first grade!  I seriously doubt
that claim...Auclair wouldn't have put up with that, nor would Mrs. Wasson.  Nor would the parents!  Auclair would've been lynched had this actually happened.

Sherri's taking advantage of a captive audience and entertaining them with mistruths.  When you begin exaggerating, you'll start to lose your credibility.  I know that bullying and hazing existed at HB, but what she claims is too far beyond reach.

Binaca, Qwerty, TobyTyler, Norefund - you give me hope that sanity still exists, even in the Do Right era.

I only remember getting swats once:  8th grade, Coach Price.  What I remember most is thinking "he's a sweet man who really doesn't want to be doing this."  I can't comment on swats from Mr. Paasch, Coach Stabb, Mr. Brail or anyone else because... I never got in trouble in high school! :)

tobytyler said:
Thanks to those who've responded.  I know that there were paddlings--I received them from six of the principals and a few of the teachers in the Jr High school.  While in Jr High, all of the male teachers had their own paddles.  Some used them rarely; others used them far more than they should.

But for the principals, it was all pretty routine.  You were talked to, given swats (usually three), and then prayed with. 

My disagreement with Sherri was she says that "every teacher" that she had in HBGS used the tactic of "piling of encyclopedias" on the outstretched arms of the student.  She started at HBGS in the first grade!  I seriously doubt
that claim...Auclair wouldn't have put up with that, nor would Mrs. Wasson.  Nor would the parents!  Auclair would've been lynched had this actually happened.

Sherri's taking advantage of a captive audience and entertaining them with mistruths.  When you begin exaggerating, you'll start to lose your credibility.  I know that bullying and hazing existed at HB, but what she claims is too far beyond reach.

I'm trying to remember how far Sherri went at HBCS before they moved to CA - maybe the end of elementary/beginning of Jr. High. Her sister was my roommate at college.  They were two of the sweetest girls there, but their home life was a nightmare full of physical/sexual abuse (this is all public, btw).  I lived with their family in California for one year between my Jr. and my Sr. years at HAC and, while the two now-adult girls were never disciplined while I lived there, the dad was savage with the two remaining kids. 

tobytyler said:

Toby, here is something else to consider. The abuses happened to children who cannot mentally combat irregularity with normalty. They aren't equipped with the coping mechanism and they process things based on how they perceive it. And when dealing with repressed or surpressed memories of abuse, the waters get murkier. So whether the books were Victory Drill Books instead of encyclopedias, to a first grader, it all seems the same. And as an adult, one will look back with the child's perception. Our criticism shouldn't be on the details of abuse but rather on the system that protected if not fostered it.

Once, a gymn teacher named Sumner falsely accused me of slacking off.  He said 'you are the oldest one here'.  It wasn't true. I had repeated 4th grade, at the suggestion of D.B. Auclair, even though I made the honor roll my first time through.  I had been a year ahead in school, and now I was in the 'right grade'. 
  Anyway, when I tried to explain the truth to him, he snapped, and picked me up by my throat, and pinned me against the wall, legs dangling, and yelled 'shut up' in my face.  Some of my classmates tried to urge me to tell the authorities, but I knew the system, and I knew somehow I would get kicked while I was down. 
    This was 6th grade.  I hated school until 11 th, when Don Boyd took over, but by then I was fed up, and left.

Anishinabe

BALAAM said:
Still There said:
Who is Sherri Munger and when did she go to the schools?  My thought is if you don't obey the rules, oh well.  Same rules apply at home.  I told my girls when they went that if they got into trouble at school, they get in trouble at home.  Never once had a problem out of them because they feared me the most.  They never got spanked at home, but knowing that the principal or teacher was going to call mom, OMG you thought it was the wrath of god!  One time my youngest got into trouble on the bus, nothing big, I think she talked while going over a railroad track.  The bus driver mentioned it to me.  When my daughter was coming off the bus she was sobbing because he had told her he was going to tell me.  If you have good rules at home, your children won't need to be spanked at school.

I'm sorry but I must disagree with you here. I would have said the same thing 15 years ago when my kids were in hb and I believed everything that the school said without question. After all these years a lot of the punishments were very arbitrary and subjective. Maybe your kids were like mine and knew that anything they would say would automatically be disbelieved. Some of these teachers and principals were not the bastions of christianity they led us to believe.

I would also contend that even if the kids would be believed by the parents, they knew the parents would stand on the side of "authority". I had a junior high teacher who had a comical sign in his room that said it all: "I have 2 rules: Rule #1: The teacher is always right. Rule # 2: When the teacher is wrong, refer back to Rule # 1."

I knew kids that would get spanked at home for things that the parents would admit they were not guilty of but gave them swats anyway because "no doubt you did something wrong that you got away with so this makes up for it." Sad but true.

Smellin Coffee said:
BALAAM said:
Still There said:
Who is Sherri Munger and when did she go to the schools?  My thought is if you don't obey the rules, oh well.  Same rules apply at home.  I told my girls when they went that if they got into trouble at school, they get in trouble at home.  Never once had a problem out of them because they feared me the most.  They never got spanked at home, but knowing that the principal or teacher was going to call mom, OMG you thought it was the wrath of god!  One time my youngest got into trouble on the bus, nothing big, I think she talked while going over a railroad track.  The bus driver mentioned it to me.  When my daughter was coming off the bus she was sobbing because he had told her he was going to tell me.  If you have good rules at home, your children won't need to be spanked at school.

I'm sorry but I must disagree with you here. I would have said the same thing 15 years ago when my kids were in hb and I believed everything that the school said without question. After all these years a lot of the punishments were very arbitrary and subjective. Maybe your kids were like mine and knew that anything they would say would automatically be disbelieved. Some of these teachers and principals were not the bastions of christianity they led us to believe.

I would also contend that even if the kids would be believed by the parents, they knew the parents would stand on the side of "authority". I had a junior high teacher who had a comical sign in his room that said it all: "I have 2 rules: Rule #1: The teacher is always right. Rule # 2: When the teacher is wrong, refer back to Rule # 1."

I knew kids that would get spanked at home for things that the parents would admit they were not guilty of but gave them swats anyway because "no doubt you did something wrong that you got away with so this makes up for it." Sad but true.
Thank God my parents knew how to say 'yeah, you got the shaft with this deal, but what didn't we catch you for?'  This simultaneously calmed my martyr complex, w/o advocating sinless perfection in authority.

Anishinabe

prophet said:
Once, a gymn teacher named Sumner falsely accused me of slacking off.  He said 'you are the oldest one here'.  It wasn't true. I had repeated 4th grade, at the suggestion of D.B. Auclair, even though I made the honor roll my first time through.  I had been a year ahead in school, and now I was in the 'right grade'. 
  Anyway, when I tried to explain the truth to him, he snapped, and picked me up by my throat, and pinned me against the wall, legs dangling, and yelled 'shut up' in my face.  Some of my classmates tried to urge me to tell the authorities, but I knew the system, and I knew somehow I would get kicked while I was down. 
    This was 6th grade.  I hated school until 11 th, when Don Boyd took over, but by then I was fed up, and left.

Anishinabe

And I know who that Sumner is. I like him and I really feel bad for his upbringing and he seems to like me. But, he had no business being a teacher. First of all, he didn't have the skills to be a teacher and he really didn't like kids all that well. This story could be told many times over. But, it really doesn't matter. If Jack felt you couldn't make it elsewhere, you could teach at hb.

From Balaam:...." First of all, he didn't have the skills to be a teacher..."

That's one of my biggest soapboxes. How many times have we heard the fact GLORIFIED that people are hired for their character, NOT on the basis of their knowledge. If so-and-so's daughter /son has graduated and needs a position in the ministry, she / he is given whatever teaching position happens to be open, and is then expected to learn the subject just ahead of the students. After all, the character of the person is so excellent and beyond reproach that we know they can learn / teach any subject! And, really...the subject matter is not so very important after all...because really what the kids need to learn is to mimic the excellent character of the teacher!

They do this at every school, even the college. It's very backward.

BALAAM said:
prophet said:

Anishinabe

And I know who that Sumner is. I like him and I really feel bad for his upbringing and he seems to like me. But, he had no business being a teacher. First of all, he didn't have the skills to be a teacher and he really didn't like kids all that well. This story could be told many times over. But, it really doesn't matter. If Jack felt you couldn't make it elsewhere, you could teach at hb.
They hired his wife before they started dating.  He came with the package, pure and simple.  Found a spot for him.  I liked him as a little league coach, BTW.  And I would still be friends with him, if he wasn't so much of a psycho, that he acts like he doesn't recognize me.

Anishinabe

To add to this post, would you allow your child to go to a school that practiced spanking?

Tennessean said:
To add to this post, would you allow your child to go to a school that practiced spanking?

Yes

patriotic said:
Tennessean said:

Yes

All my children and grandchildren attended, attend HB.

I don't believe corporal punishment is used any more.

Too much personal liability on the one executing judgement.

That was one of the reasons two principals resigned from HB.

bgwilkinson said:
patriotic said:
Tennessean said:

Yes

All my children and grandchildren attended, attend HB.

I don't believe corporal punishment is used any more.

Too much personal liability on the one executing judgement.

That was one of the reasons two principals resigned from HB.

I think very few Christian school still administer corporal punishment. 

Tennessean said:

If there were other viable options, no. But then again, my kids have never been in 'real' trouble in their public school.

My youngest son is a junior in our local junior high school and just last week, got his first ever detention (none of his siblings ever got a detention). Reason being, there was an outside classroom meeting and he forgot to sign in. Even though he was in the class, the administration said they deemed him as skipping it because his name/ID wasn't in the registry. He was frustrated by it but he knew the rule and I supported the school so to detention he went.

This school runs a very tight ship, even though it is a public school. The slightest bit of rowdiness at a basketball game, and the school officer bounces kids out. Bullying is absolutely not tolerated and first offense results in immediate suspension with no appeal. We are fortunate to live in a good school district with mostly honorable staff.

There are other means by which discipline can be successfully and effectively administered without spanking. If there is spanking that needs to be done, it should be left to the parents to do what is necessary. I would not allow any adult or authority figure to strike my child, even in the form of a spanking.

Smellin Coffee said:
Tennessean said:

If there were other viable options, no. But then again, my kids have never been in 'real' trouble in their public school.

My youngest son is a junior in our local junior high school and just last week, got his first ever detention (none of his siblings ever got a detention). Reason being, there was an outside classroom meeting and he forgot to sign in. Even though he was in the class, the administration said they deemed him as skipping it because his name/ID wasn't in the registry. He was frustrated by it but he knew the rule and I supported the school so to detention he went.

This school runs a very tight ship, even though it is a public school. The slightest bit of rowdiness at a basketball game, and the school officer bounces kids out. Bullying is absolutely not tolerated and first offense results in immediate suspension with no appeal. We are fortunate to live in a good school district with mostly honorable staff.

There are other means by which discipline can be successfully and effectively administered without spanking. If there is spanking that needs to be done, it should be left to the parents to do what is necessary. I would not allow any adult or authority figure to strike my child, even in the form of a spanking.

I don't believe any of my children would ever have required a spanking either if our school did administer them.
There was a detention here and there, but only when school was still ACE. It seems ACE curriculum seems to set students up to earn detention.  (Not an ACE fan here.) Still, it was mostly for minor stuff, and they served them while my husband and I rolled our eyes in privacy .

BTW, what grade is a junior in junior high?

patriotic said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Tennessean said:

I don't believe any of my children would ever have required a spanking either if our school did administer them.
There was a detention here and there, but only when school was still ACE. It seems ACE curriculum seems to set students up to earn detention.  (Not an ACE fan here.) Still, it was mostly for minor stuff, and they served them while my husband and I rolled our eyes in privacy .

BTW, what grade is a junior in junior high?

Sorry, I meant a junior in high school. He is in 11th grade. My daughter is in middle school - 8th.