dave douglass and bethlehem baptist church, oneida, TN

Maybe Douglass was trying to change too much, too soon.  I remember Bro Hyles said that he didn't change too much in his first year at FBC.  When he became pastor, FBC baptized monthly, only the organ led the morning congregational songs, etc, but he slowly made  transitions after being at FBC for a year.

Bethlehem Baptist wasn't ready to become an IFB type church and maybe DD was trying to change it too fast.

Just a thought.

What's with all the prominent people leaving FBCH & HAC? Is Wilkerson cleaning house or did they all get a call to pastor in the past 36 months?

Does anyone have the inside scoop?

tobytyler said:
Maybe Douglass was trying to change too much, too soon.  I remember Bro Hyles said that he didn't change too much in his first year at FBC.  When he became pastor, FBC baptized monthly, only the organ led the morning congregational songs, etc, but he slowly made  transitions after being at FBC for a year.

Bethlehem Baptist wasn't ready to become an IFB type church and maybe DD was trying to change it too fast.

Just a thought.

I can not imagine Dave being that foolish, it was obvious to me from their web site that Bethlehem Baptist was a very progressive type church especially in music and dress. IFBx type standards would have easily caused him to be ejected sooner rather than latter.

Did I say Dave is coming back to FBCH.

patriotic said:
bgwilkinson said:
Did I say Dave is coming back to FBCH.

I don't know.  Did you?

Is he?

Yes he is returning to  FBCH. I thought I had mentioned it a few days ago.
It was confirmed last Wednesday by 2 sources in positions to know.
Not sure what his job will be. I don't think that has been determined.
His former job has been filled.

sword said:
What's with all the prominent people leaving FBCH & HAC? Is Wilkerson cleaning house or did they all get a call to pastor in the past 36 months?

Who for instance did you have in mind?

Here is a thought: Why doesn't Dave Douglass be a layman? That would be the appropriate role, all things considered.

brainisengaged said:
Here is a thought: Why doesn't Dave Douglass be a layman? That would be the appropriate role, all things considered.

What things are you considering?

He was part of the problem. One of Schaap's  Merry Men. Or Frat Boys, however you want to call it. The taint of that association is still there. There is some indication that his new church did not know his role in the Jack Schaapt situation, nor did they even know about the whole situation. But they found out. And then they looked askance at their new pastor.

So a church we are snidely pointing fingers at for an overt lack of standards might actually have higher standards than we give them credit for. And FBC will welcome him back on staff with open arms? Let him be a layman.

brainisengaged said:
He was part of the problem. One of Schaap's  Merry Men. Or Frat Boys, however you want to call it. The taint of that association is still there. There is some indication that his new church did not know his role in the Jack Schaapt situation, nor did they even know about the whole situation. But they found out. And then they looked askance at their new pastor.

So a church we are snidely pointing fingers at for an overt lack of standards might actually have higher standards than we give them credit for. And FBC will welcome him back on staff with open arms? Let him be a layman.

Like you said, he has high "standards". All things are overlooked because his wife wears dresses only, and they don't go to the movies.

brainisengaged said:

I had heard early on that the deacons found out more about our last two pastors and that was one of if not the major factor in their decision to remove him as pastor.

The two major books on our last two pastors came as unbelievable revelations on what his training and philosophy was.
In SBC churches the name Jack Hyles is not widely known.

This alone is one of the best reasons to change the name of the college to get away from the taint of the name.

Some well meaning people place outward dress and music standards over and above humble Spirit filled living.

They are like the ones that clean the outside of the vessel while the inside is filled with dead men's bones.

This has been the modus operandi of many in the IFB movement for many years.

Those that obey the outward rules are considered the "good Christians" while those that might march to a different drummer are the outcasts and the scourge of the earth worthy to be shunned.

JS and DH are prime examples.

With Bro. Hyles if you were a soul-winner and good at outreach you could be the most vile reprobate morally and yet be one of his heroes and one of those he would promote as a great man of God, (I.e. DH).

One of their most notable sayings was "great men have great needs", many have used it over the years. Sin can be disregarded and overlooked if you get enough people saved and baptized.

bgwilkinson said:
sword said:

Scott Grey
Freddie DeAnda
Brian Hasse
Dave Douglas
Stuart Mason

To name just a few.

sword said:
bgwilkinson said:
sword said:

Scott Grey
Freddie DeAnda
Brian Hasse
Dave Douglas
Stuart Mason

To name just a few.

These men wanted to be pastors of churches. I have no information or hint of anything that anyone of them was asked to leave.

Does anyone have news as to their return to FBC and what his responsibilities now are?
Why did they leave TN after such a short pastorate?

I saw him on the platform this past Wednesday; I was unaware that they had returned to Hammond.

Does anyone else find this thread sad as in did anyone do their homework on people first....

tobytyler said:
Does anyone have news as to their return to FBC and what his responsibilities now are?
Why did they leave TN after such a short pastorate?

I saw him on the platform this past Wednesday; I was unaware that they had returned to Hammond.

He is on the staff of the church corporation.

Sherryh said:
Does anyone else find this thread sad as in did anyone do their homework on people first....
It is another sad drop it in my bucket full of tears.

earnestly contend

prophet said:
Sherryh said:
It is another sad drop it in my bucket full of tears.

earnestly contend

Just what I pointed out from their web page would tell a thinking person that it wouldn't end well.

After reading the announcement regarding HAC's new President I had a thought.

Based on the video from the church website why would a perspective IFB pastor candidate there.
https://youtu.be/mpqxvN5iw5A

Would they intend to adjust to the churches accepted standards?
Would they intend to slowly change the church by introducing new standards?
Would they attempt get members on their side and push the rest to conform or get out
Would they intend to just preach thus saith the Lord from day one and let the chips fall as they may.

It seems like a bad situation when someone takes an established church with plans to change its direction drastically. What do Christian colleges teach future pastors in this regard?

It's like a girl marrying a young man and hoping he will grow out of his bad habits and thinking he will change the many things that irritate her. It's not likely to end well.