dave douglass and bethlehem baptist church, oneida, TN

The church I now pastor is an Independent Baptist church but they were fully removed from the IFB movement.  They were independent in its purest form, no outside attachments.  They new nothing of traditional IFB'sm, having neither rejected it or accepted it.

When I became pastor, I never intended to "change" the church.  I most certainly wanted to help the membership grow spiritually, but not to retrofit the congregation as a whole.  I did not see it  as my church.  It is their church and I serve at their pleasure. 

However, I don't tailor my preaching to their ideas.  They give me full liberty and I have lead them in the direction I believe to be best.  Nothing major...mainly having to do with our treatment of others and our attitudes of discord.  They have followed me on the KJB but some still use other versions and they know that I will never be rude to them over it.  I do bring in the HAC tour groups ever year and have had Dr. Ray Young preach for me, but I don't push them toward Hammond.  They know how much Dr Hyles and HAC means to me, but I don't expect it to mean anything to them.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I would never take a church and "force" them to conform to my opinions or convictions.  If major change was required that would split the church, I would never accept the pastorate in the first place.  Once again, I serve at their pleasure and will only stay if the church wants me to.