Teri in NC said:
Smellin Coffee said:
sword said:
prophet said:
sword said:
KATHY (BURTON) LERCH

Born March 27, 1961
Died June 21, 2008

She earned a teaching degree from Hyles Anderson Baptist College.
Kathy served along side Tom Brennan and myself, as well as another poster or 2 here.
earnestly contend
When you get a chance please share some of you memories of her. Same with you Tom and others.

Some of the people listed here were very caring & giving people. Would love to hear more personal stories about them. Kinda keep their memories alive in a digital way.

I don't remember her from college but rather from the forum. She was so much fun to interact with. A couple months before she passed away, she somehow got a hold of my phone number and called me to chat about the forum. We talked for about 10 minutes or so. Even though that was the only time I remember speaking to her, she left a positive impression with me and I could tell by her laugh she just loved life. I can't believe it has been that long ago since her passing.

Her laugh was infectious.
BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!

When she and I reconnected  on the forum, it was as if we were friends having lunch on a daily basis. Just totally natural.

Bina Lail

Born 1927
Died March 12, 2008

A friend to Hyles Anderson College & it's students.

Robert "Bob" Lail

Born 1933
Died July 19, 2010

Bryan Luckey
Husband of Catherine Luckey

Born August 27, 1980
Died June 29, 2006, (While serving in serving Iraq)

Attended Hyles Anderson College in 1999 - 2000.
1594313963848.png

Last edited:
K. Ezekial Pochodzay

Born Aug. 23, 1981
Died March 5, 2004

Was a current Student at Hyles Anderson College

sword said:
Robert "Bob" Lail

Born 1933
Died July 19, 2010

Was he that guy in the choir who said AMEN to everything JH said?

I think you are describing Richard Leib.

fishinnut said:
sword said:
Robert "Bob" Lail

Born 1933
Died July 19, 2010

sword said:
K. Ezekial Pochodzay

Born Aug. 23, 1981
Died March 5, 2004

Was a current Student at Hyles Anderson College

Any relation to Jamie Segewick's wife?

fishinnut said:
Norefund said:
fishinnut said:
sword said:
Robert "Bob" Lail
Born 1933
Died July 19, 2010
Yep..........thanks.
Bob Lail was Bina Lail's husband. Carrol Lail (long time sunbeam dept. worker) was Bob's sister in law.

I think Richard Leib. was someone different. Some of you should remember Carrol from when you were in her dept. She died sometime around 2001.

sword said:
fishinnut said:
Norefund said:
fishinnut said:
sword said:
Robert "Bob" Lail
Born 1933
Died July 19, 2010
Yep..........thanks.
Carrol Lail (long time sunbeam dept. worker) was Bob's sister in law.

Some of you should remember Carrol from when you were in her dept.

So you're saying that there are more Sunbeams here than we realize?

Missionary Maurice  Paulson (wwii war vet.)
Head of Missions Dept. Hyles Anderson College
(served in Africa and Lebanon for 17 years)

Born June 7, 1922
Died March 6, 1997

Held a Honorary Doctorate from Hyles Anderson College

sword said:

Born June 7, 1922
Died March 6, 1997

Genuine.

sword said:

Born June 7, 1922
Died March 6, 1997

I always thought the world of Dr. Paulson. I was reading a book in church once called "Cowboy boots in darkest Africa". It was a book written by Bill Rice about a trip he made to Africa in the early 1950's to hold revival services with missionaries there. Typically, in the book, everywhere he went there were thousands and thousand of people saved. Dr. Paulson asked me how I liked the book etc. and we talked back and forth. He said, "Just keep in mind; if it is that easy then why do people go and spend an entire lifetime certain places in Africa and struggle just to build and maintain a small work?" He then told me not to believe everything I read or heard. Good advice!

BALAAM said:
sword said:
Born June 7, 1922
Died March 6, 1997
I always thought the world of Dr. Paulson. I was reading a book in church once called "Cowboy boots in darkest Africa". It was a book written by Bill Rice about a trip he made to Africa in the early 1950's to hold revival services with missionaries there. Typically, in the book, everywhere he went there were thousands and thousand of people saved. Dr. Paulson asked me how I liked the book etc. and we talked back and forth. He said, "Just keep in mind; if it is that easy then why do people go and spend an entire lifetime certain places in Africa and struggle just to build and maintain a small work?" He then told me not to believe everything I read or heard. Good advice!
I not defending or denying John Rice's account but remember such trips are almost always planned to target to the easier areas. They usually visit missionaries with very established works and broad influence.Highly publicized evangelistic campaigns are not usually held with remote tribes or among groups who are very cold and indifferent (hostile) to the gospel. 

sword said:

Born June 7, 1922
Died March 6, 1997

I never had a class from him and I regret that. He never preached in chapel that I remember, and that mystifies me. Well, not really. It is just another indication of our weakness in exalting flashy young men at the expense of quiet old men. [Yes, that is yet another chapter in my new book.] But I digress... I heard Bro. Paulson preach one time. Bro. Owens asked him to come and preach for the Bible Club workers' meeting one summer Saturday when he was gone. The crowd was small. I was sitting in the back b/c I was an usher. Bro. Paulson got about 15 minutes into his sermon when he suddenly said, "You all don't want to hear what I have to say this morning." And he abruptly closed his Bible and walked out the door.

Whoa. I've never forgotten that. Perhaps I'm being overly dramatic here but I've often wondered what he was going to say in that sermon that I needed that I never got b/c somehow I (and the others) communicated disinterest. In hindsight, what he did was a wonderful lesson. He taught me to cherish my opportunities to hear preaching, and to work at communicating my desire and interest to the preacher. And in a very real way that changed my life.

I recall Bro. Paulson's preaching on HAC chapel  more than once on the years I was a student.
I loved his preaching.

However, the truth of flashy,  good story-telling, exciting, wind-sucking, popularity-driven choice  of speakers is evident still today.

The older I get, the more I appreciate men (and women) such a Dr. Paulson.
HAC lost a gem when  he passed  away.

Tom McKinney
Born May 22, 1925
Died January 26, 2003.

Tom was a staff member at FBCH & the college in the 80's & 90's. 
He attended the FBCH since 1931.

Diane (Sutton) Burgess

Born June 12, 1953
Died May 28, 2006

She was a former Hyles Anderson Student.