Deaths Of HAC Students

Daniel Carl Tolman, of Lewiston, Maine went home to be with the Lord on Sunday, Dec. 11, at 58 years old.

He graduated in 1989 with his degree in pastoral theology. He went to the University of Maine for his degree in business. Daniel was very proud to pastor his first church, Appleton Baptist Church in Appleton. He went on to pastor several more churches.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/obituaries/2016/12/18/daniel-c-tolman/2047342

John Vaprezsan Jr's wife, Jennifer, passed away in December.  I know that John Jr attended HAC in
the late 80's/early 90's, but does anyone know if Jennifer, too, attended HAC?

This is what was posted on Metro Baptist Church (Belleville, Michigan) Facebook, pastored by John Vaprezsan (Jennifer's father-in-law?????..

"Metro Baptist Church, Belleville, MI
December 21, 2016 at 6:28pm ?
Our pastor and his family suffered a great loss today in the sudden death of their daughter-in-law Jennifer Bennett Vaprezsan. Memorial service will be Thursday, December 29 at 6:00 pm with visitation starting at 5:00 pm. To be held at the First Baptist Church of Maumelle, AR. In lieu of flowers donations would be appreciated to the Centennial Bank in Jennifer's name - account #50205325. Please call 8883729788 and ask for the Maumelle Branch. There is also a go fund me page on Mrs. Linda Vaprezsan page."

Ken Smith -- attended HAC in the late 70's and early 80's.  Was disabled and had to use hand crutches.  Such a nice guy.  Something that haunts me to this day...

One day I stepped out of my office for a few minutes (I was a pastor at the time) and when I returned, I had a message on my desk phone.  I had roomed with Ken briefly at HAC and had given him rides from time to time.  I didn't know him well, but I did know him.  When I listened to the message, it was from him -- about 10 years after we'd graduated.  He'd since married.  I could tell from his message that he was upset and he asked me to call him back.  He left a message and a number to reach him.  I tried to call him back, but he gave me an incorrect number.  I kept trying, relistened to the message, etc..., but no luck.  I had to hope he would call back.  He didn't.  I wondered for months what he had wanted -- it was just so random to hear from him.

About a year later, someone asked me if I'd heard about Ken.  He'd committed suicide.  His wife had left him and he was devastated.  I traced the timeline backwards.  That's why he called me.  He was reaching out for help in desperation.  He'd heard that I spoke around the country on the family, I'm assuming, and just needed a friend.  The sadness was over-whelming in that because of a bad phone number (so glad that I at least tried to call him back), I never had the chance to encourage him at all.  I don't know if I would have made a difference.  But still 25 years later or so, I still wonder...

Holy Moley said:
Ken Smith -- attended HAC in the late 70's and early 80's.  Was disabled and had to use hand crutches.  Such a nice guy.  Something that haunts me to this day...

One day I stepped out of my office for a few minutes (I was a pastor at the time) and when I returned, I had a message on my desk phone.  I had roomed with Ken briefly at HAC and had given him rides from time to time.  I didn't know him well, but I did know him.  When I listened to the message, it was from him -- about 10 years after we'd graduated.  He'd since married.  I could tell from his message that he was upset and he asked me to call him back.  He left a message and a number to reach him.  I tried to call him back, but he gave me an incorrect number.  I kept trying, relistened to the message, etc..., but no luck.  I had to hope he would call back.  He didn't.  I wondered for months what he had wanted -- it was just so random to hear from him.

About a year later, someone asked me if I'd heard about Ken.  He'd committed suicide.  His wife had left him and he was devastated.  I traced the timeline backwards.  That's why he called me.  He was reaching out for help in desperation.  He'd heard that I spoke around the country on the family, I'm assuming, and just needed a friend.  The sadness was over-whelming in that because of a bad phone number (so glad that I at least tried to call him back), I never had the chance to encourage him at all.  I don't know if I would have made a difference.  But still 25 years later or so, I still wonder...

He knows of your efforts now so don't beat yourself up over it.  You will see him in heaven and he will thank you for making the effort, your anxiousness for so many years over it and his cringe at his folly of making a such a permanent decision over temporal matters. 

Sometimes I do things for people who are dead (aka care for a member of their family friend, make their recipe, etc) just so we can talk about it when I get there.    Great Cloud of Witnesses and all.  They are not really dead you know!  Just out of town!

TidesofTruth said:
Holy Moley said:

He knows of your efforts now so don't beat yourself up over it.  You will see him in heaven and he will thank you for making the effort, your anxiousness for so many years over it and his cringe at his folly of making a such a permanent decision over temporal matters. 

Sometimes I do things for people who are dead (aka care for a member of their family friend, make their recipe, etc) just so we can talk about it when I get there.    Great Cloud of Witnesses and all.  They are not really dead you know!  Just out of town!

Well-worded encouragement.  I like that you aid "He knows now."  :)

Pastor Eugene Haden was a '75 HAC graduate and married to Bonnie (Lewis) Haden, who was also a HB and HAC grad.                                                                      http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/hattiesburgamerican/obituary.aspx?n=eugene-haden&pid=183675998&fhid=26060http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/hattiesburgamerican/obituary.aspx?n=eugene-haden&pid=183675998&fhid=26060

tobytyler said:
Pastor Eugene Haden was a '75 HAC graduate and married to Bonnie (Lewis) Haden, who was also a HB and HAC grad.                                                                      http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/hattiesburgamerican/obituary.aspx?n=eugene-haden&pid=183675998&fhid=26060http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/hattiesburgamerican/obituary.aspx?n=eugene-haden&pid=183675998&fhid=26060

So sorry to hear this.

Larry Powell Allen
Husband of Leslie Allen
1588488106487.png

Born November 1, 1946
Died January 19, 2017

Lived in Mooringsport, LA
Received a Bachelor degree from Hyles Anderson College in Pastoral Theology and Christian Education.

Last edited:
Richard Powell  2/18/2017
Richard attended hac from late 80's to early 90's and I knew him well. Died of cancer last night.

BALAAM said:
Richard attended hac from late 80's to early 90's and I knew him well. Died of cancer last night.
Did he have a brother named Andrew?

16KJV11 said:
BALAAM said:
Did he have a brother named Andrew?

He never mentioned to me anything about family except for a sister. They had been living in AZ for about the past 15 years.

Sarah Margaret Brown Biber June 29, 1959-April 23, 2017

"Welcome home. Momma went to be with the Lord around 1am this morning (Sunday), peacefully and without pain. "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints."

Visitation is Tuesday 6pm-8pm at Preddy's Funeral Home Chapel in Madison, VA.

The funeral is Thursday at 1pm, at Maranatha Baptist Church, Charleston, WV. There will be another visitation time from 11am-1pm before the service."

Baptist City Holdout said:

"Welcome home. Momma went to be with the Lord around 1am this morning (Sunday), peacefully and without pain. "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints."

The funeral is Thursday at 1pm, at Maranatha Baptist Church, Charleston, WV. There will be another visitation time from 11am-1pm before the service."
It is amazing how young she was, not even 60! :(

Sweetest person ever.  Smiled all the time.  Her laugh was not as loud as justmama's, but it was just as joyful.

Teri in NC said:

Sweetest person ever.  Smiled all the time.  Her laugh was not as loud as justmama's, but it was just as joyful.

She has had multiple health problems the past decade.  Her two children are both former students of mine, so I've seen her from time to time since about 2004.  They are fine young people. 

She will be missed.  She never lost her cheerful disposition.   

William Scott Teachey (56)
1652699632415.png
Born November 28, 1960
Died May 1, 2017

Lived in Hampstead, NC (near Wilmington)
Attended Hyles Anderson College

Last edited:
How do they know if a deceased person was a HACker?

When they do the autopsy, they find "I'll take the bus kids" inscribed on their heart.

Sam Sprunger died last night.