Did Jack Hyles actually go soul winning?

Norefund

Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 2, 2013
Messages
727
Reaction score
11
Points
18
In another thread, the topic was the unbelievable (literally, in my opinion) hours worked by staff members and Jack Hyles was the gold standard for using every minute to serve. Curiously, I have never met a single person who was personally witnessed to by Jack Hyles. This was after attending FBC for 20 years. I don't even remember hearing anyone say they had accompanied Jack Hyles soul winning. His sermon illustrations almost always recounted stories of his witnessing to people while he was out of town and that made those people unverifiable. He might have been an avid soul winner early in his career. I just don't know that he was during the FBC period, especially later - after starting the schools and college and all.

I'm curious. Can anyone here actually verify the existence of an actual Jack Hyles soul winning experience?
 

Fresh Air

New member
Registered
Joined
Jan 27, 2012
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I pastor in Chicago on the north side so its not very close to Hammond. Early in our time here my wife was out soul winning on the block directly adjacent to our building. She met an entire family that Jack Hyles had personally led to Christ and that still attended FBCH regularly.

I do not dispute that he did a poor job in his later years leading from the front. But there can be no doubt that he fervently believed and personally practiced personal evangelism for decades.
 

bgwilkinson

Active member
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Feb 4, 2012
Messages
4,013
Reaction score
1
Points
36
In the early days I believe he personally knocked on every door in Hammond.

Many were personally won by Bro. Hyles.

Through the years many of those he won became deacons and leaders in the church.

Most of the ones who were deacons have gone on to heaven.

By the time the 70s had rolled around he was traveling much more and the number of those who were won and became deacons essentially went to 0.
 

Norefund

Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 2, 2013
Messages
727
Reaction score
11
Points
18
That kind of correlates with my observation.

bgwilkinson said:
In the early days I believe he personally knocked on every door in Hammond.

Many were personally won by Bro. Hyles.

Through the years many of those he won became deacons and leaders in the church.

Most of the ones who were deacons have gone on to heaven.

By the time the 70s had rolled around he was traveling much more and the number of those who were won and became deacons essentially went to 0.
 

Norefund

Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 2, 2013
Messages
727
Reaction score
11
Points
18
So, let's qualify the original question with, " Does anyone have any personal experience or knowledge of Jack Hyles going out soul winning in the greater Calumet Region anytime from the  mid- 1970's on?"
 

Smellin Coffee

Active member
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
7,814
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Norefund said:
So, let's qualify the original question with, " Does anyone have any personal experience or knowledge of Jack Hyles going out soul winning in the greater Calumet Region anytime from the  mid- 1970's on?"
Don't know about him, but Beverly did. She (with another lady) knocked on our door in Hammond when I was a kid, about 1977 or so, not knowing we lived there.
 

Norefund

Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 2, 2013
Messages
727
Reaction score
11
Points
18
I've heard many examples of Beverly Hyles soul winning and visitation. I'm still thinking that Jack Hyles personally didn't find the time from the early 70's (and maybe earlier than that). Or, maybe he thought of himself as soul winning by proxy in the same way a general might not actually fight the battle but devised the battle plan? 

Smellin Coffee said:
Norefund said:
So, let's qualify the original question with, " Does anyone have any personal experience or knowledge of Jack Hyles going out soul winning in the greater Calumet Region anytime from the  mid- 1970's on?"
Don't know about him, but Beverly did. She (with another lady) knocked on our door in Hammond when I was a kid, about 1977 or so, not knowing we lived there.
 

IFB X-Files

Active member
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Jan 10, 2013
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
18
Points
38
NBC's Brian Williams was the first convert of Jack Hyles.
 

Norefund

Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 2, 2013
Messages
727
Reaction score
11
Points
18
I'm not asking if Jack Hyles fervently preached that Christians should go soul winning. I'm asking if he personally practiced it for the last three decades of his life. Is there any evidence  that he did?

I was thinking we would read of plenty of examples of personal experiences with Jack Hyles soul winning. Does anyone else find it odd that we aren't?


bgwilkinson said:
TidesofTruth said:
Try this

[youtube]7OnQpspp084[/youtube]
 

TidesofTruth

Member
Registered
Joined
May 14, 2014
Messages
466
Reaction score
3
Points
18
Norefund said:
I'm not asking if Jack Hyles fervently preached that Christians should go soul winning. I'm asking if he personally practiced it for the last three decades of his life. Is there any evidence  that he did?

I was thinking we would read of plenty of examples of personal experiences with Jack Hyles soul winning. Does anyone else find it odd that we aren't?


bgwilkinson said:
TidesofTruth said:
Try this

[youtube]7OnQpspp084[/youtube]
Uh you do realize the other man on that album was a man who was led to the Lord by Bro Hyles.  The record was a recreation of that event.
 

Norefund

Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 2, 2013
Messages
727
Reaction score
11
Points
18
Without listening to the whole thing, did he give a date that put the experience in the mid 70's or later?
 

TidesofTruth

Member
Registered
Joined
May 14, 2014
Messages
466
Reaction score
3
Points
18
Norefund said:
Without listening to the whole thing, did he give a date that put the experience in the mid 70's or later?
October 1, 1960

starts at 36:45
 

RAIDER

Active member
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Jan 28, 2013
Messages
8,242
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

I'd say Jack Hyles did a pretty good job of this.
 

Matthew1323

Active member
Registered
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
1,634
Reaction score
0
Points
36
RAIDER said:
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

I'd say Jack Hyles did a pretty good job of this.
I agree.
 

Binaca Chugger

Active member
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Jan 22, 2013
Messages
4,158
Reaction score
8
Points
38
Many illustrations were given, but they were while he was traveling or eating out.
 

Norefund

Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 2, 2013
Messages
727
Reaction score
11
Points
18
Huh? We all saw him baptize and teach. Who personally saw him go out and knock on doors and try to win souls in his last three decades?

RAIDER said:
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

I'd say Jack Hyles did a pretty good job of this.
 

Norefund

Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 2, 2013
Messages
727
Reaction score
11
Points
18
Binaca Chugger said:
Many illustrations were given, but they were while he was traveling or eating out.
Correct. Every illustration in his last 3 decades was that pattern. Given his penchant for making up stories to use as sermon illustrations, I believe those accounts were fictional.
 

TidesofTruth

Member
Registered
Joined
May 14, 2014
Messages
466
Reaction score
3
Points
18
Norefund said:
Huh? We all saw him baptize and teach. Who personally saw him go out and knock on doors and try to win souls in his last three decades?

RAIDER said:
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

I'd say Jack Hyles did a pretty good job of this.
Well he's been dead for nearly a decade and a half so . . .

Why don't you just decide to learn from his mistakes as you see them and be fruitful on your own.  He's gone Jim.
 
Top