Did Jack Hyles actually go soul winning?

Walt said:
Norefund said:
Oh, I have moved on from all things FBC. I just choose to participate in this forum and I try to ask questions as topics either come up in general or hit my tiny human brain. In this case, It is a legitimate question to ask as Jack Hyles required visitation of every HAC student, regardless of their family and work schedules and obligations. I maintain that he did not practice this himself for the last 3 decades of his life. He built an entire ministry on the concept of soul winning and he did not practice it himself for almost half of his life. He wrote a book titled "Let's Go Soulwinning"  and didn't follow his own advice for the last 3 decades of his life.

Maybe I'm the only forum member who thinks that is relevant. If so, this topic will die and we all will move on.

No, I think it is quite relevant if he was hypocritical on this subject.  I think, to the "safe" inner circle, he explained that he had too many threats on his life to go in the FBCH areas, but claimed that he was an avid soul-winner on planes and at other times. No evidence other than JH's word, and, from my perspective, his word is not worth much.

See Tennessean's post above.

Walt said:
Norefund said:
Oh, I have moved on from all things FBC. I just choose to participate in this forum and I try to ask questions as topics either come up in general or hit my tiny human brain. In this case, It is a legitimate question to ask as Jack Hyles required visitation of every HAC student, regardless of their family and work schedules and obligations. I maintain that he did not practice this himself for the last 3 decades of his life. He built an entire ministry on the concept of soul winning and he did not practice it himself for almost half of his life. He wrote a book titled "Let's Go Soulwinning"  and didn't follow his own advice for the last 3 decades of his life.

Maybe I'm the only forum member who thinks that is relevant. If so, this topic will die and we all will move on.

No, I think it is quite relevant if he was hypocritical on this subject.  I think, to the "safe" inner circle, he explained that he had too many threats on his life to go in the FBCH areas, but claimed that he was an avid soul-winner on planes and at other times. No evidence other than JH's word, and, from my perspective, his word is not worth much.

Please see my 2 posts above and you will find that the answer to the OP is, "Yes!"

bgwilkinson said:
In the early days I believe he personally knocked on every door in Hammond.

Many were personally won by Bro. Hyles.

Through the years many of those he won became deacons and leaders in the church.

Most of the ones who were deacons have gone on to heaven.

By the time the 70s had rolled around he was traveling much more and the number of those who were won and became deacons essentially went to 0.

Can anyone name a man that Bro. Hyles won durring the 70s, 80s and 90s that became a deacon? I do not recall who that might be.

I could be wrong though.

The name Paul O'brien comes to mind. Do not know if he was a deacon or not but I remember the story. I, however, have come to believe only about 24% of the stories.

bgwilkinson said:
bgwilkinson said:

Through the years many of those he won became deacons and leaders in the church.

By the time the 70s had rolled around he was traveling much more and the number of those who were won and became deacons essentially went to 0.

Can anyone name a man that Bro. Hyles won durring the 70s, 80s and 90s that became a deacon? I do not recall who that might be.

I could be wrong though.

Hey BG,

You're supposed to be a "Deacon." Why don't you go to the next meeting and ask that question there.

Tennessean said:
bgwilkinson said:
bgwilkinson said:

I could be wrong though.

Hey BG,

You're supposed to be a "Deacon." Why don't you go to the next meeting and ask that question there.

The older ones who would remember are gone now.

Is this an important question to you?

bgwilkinson said:
Tennessean said:
bgwilkinson said:
bgwilkinson said:

I could be wrong though.

Hey BG,

No, You try to come across as some authority on First Baptist, but when it comes to something important, you don't have a clue as to what is policy, who is who or what's going on. You asked if JH won any deacons to the Lord in the 70's, 80's or later, I told you to go ask.

Tennessean said:
bgwilkinson said:
Tennessean said:
bgwilkinson said:
bgwilkinson said:

I could be wrong though.

Hey BG,

No, You try to come across as some authority on First Baptist, but when it comes to something important, you don't have a clue as to what is policy, who is who or what's going on. You asked if JH won any deacons to the Lord in the 70's, 80's or later, I told you to go ask.

Perhaps you missed the direct quote from the by-laws that were written in 2012 and affirmed by the membership shortly thereafter.

Several of my friends who were deacons were won by Bro. Hyles in the 60s but they are all gone now. The ones that are still alive no longer attend FBCH. The Church secretary throughout Bro. Miller's, Bro. Hyles' and Bro. Schaap's pastorate, almost 60 years might know, however he no longer attends FBCH.

BALAAM said:
The name Paul O'brien comes to mind. Do not know if he was a deacon or not but I remember the story. I, however, have come to believe only about 24% of the stories.

I believe he may have been won by Bro. Hyles and I believe he may have been a deacon for a short time. He was nominated many times.

It should be noted that his wife Rose was praying for him to be saved and was most instrumental in getting him the gospel.

bgwilkinson said:
BALAAM said:

I believe he may have been won by Bro. Hyles and I believe he may have been a deacon for a short time. He was nominated many times.

It should be noted that his wife Rose was praying for him to be saved and was most instrumental in getting him the gospel.

Used to sit very close to him in the old auditorium during the night services. I heard Bro. Hyles tell the story many times and he kind of listened to it stonefaced. Knowing jh, I kind of wonder how much was embellished. But, he was there faithfully all of the time.

Tennessean said:
Walt said:
Norefund said:

Please see my 2 posts above and you will find that the answer to the OP is, "Yes!"

For some reason people are skipping that post. :)

RAIDER said:
Tennessean said:
Walt said:
Norefund said:

For some reason people are skipping that post. :)

When the facts don't fit the narrative then you have to ignore it.

Norefund said:
In another thread, the topic was the unbelievable (literally, in my opinion) hours worked by staff members and Jack Hyles was the gold standard for using every minute to serve. Curiously, I have never met a single person who was personally witnessed to by Jack Hyles. This was after attending FBC for 20 years. I don't even remember hearing anyone say they had accompanied Jack Hyles soul winning. His sermon illustrations almost always recounted stories of his witnessing to people while he was out of town and that made those people unverifiable. He might have been an avid soul winner early in his career. I just don't know that he was during the FBC period, especially later - after starting the schools and college and all.

I'm curious. Can anyone here actually verify the existence of an actual Jack Hyles soul winning experience?

How bad is it that 13 years after a man's death his service for God is questioned?

How can Jack Hyles defend himself?

Mr. or Mrs. Norefund, and BG for that matter, I'm going to assume you all are born again Christians. I hope that at the Judgment Seat of Christ the Lord makes you stand in line and wait until after all the folks who Jack Hyles witnessed to and made a profession of faith stand before the Lord. Then after you stand before the Lord I hope He makes you shake the hand of all of Jack Hyles' converts.

Tennessean said:
Norefund said:
In another thread, the topic was the unbelievable (literally, in my opinion) hours worked by staff members and Jack Hyles was the gold standard for using every minute to serve. Curiously, I have never met a single person who was personally witnessed to by Jack Hyles. This was after attending FBC for 20 years. I don't even remember hearing anyone say they had accompanied Jack Hyles soul winning. His sermon illustrations almost always recounted stories of his witnessing to people while he was out of town and that made those people unverifiable. He might have been an avid soul winner early in his career. I just don't know that he was during the FBC period, especially later - after starting the schools and college and all.

I'm curious. Can anyone here actually verify the existence of an actual Jack Hyles soul winning experience?

How bad is it that 13 years after a man's death his service for God is questioned?

Mr. or Mrs. Norefund, and BG for that matter, I'm going to assume you all are born again Christians. I hope that at the Judgment Seat of Christ the Lord makes you stand in line and wait until after all the folks who Jack Hyles witnessed to and made a profession of faith stand before the Lord. Then after you stand before the Lord I hope He makes you shake the hand of all of Jack Hyles' converts.
Dear Tennessean,

Here is the second reply in this thread. Please read it. You will find that I answered the OP in the affirmative.

"In the early days I believe he personally knocked on every door in Hammond.

By the time the 70s had rolled around he was traveling much more and the number of those who were won and became deacons essentially went to 0."

I could have just said Yes, but I gave my testimony that I knew deacons who were won in the 60s by Bro. Hyles.

Were you at FBCH during the 60s? Did you personally know these deacons?  I personally knew everyone.

They are all gone now.

There were two Brothers that were won by Bro. Hyles that gave rise to one of his amazing stories.

They are both gone now. Some of their children still attend FBCH.

I know of others who were won by Bro. Hyles that were not deacons some are still alive and still attend FBCH.

I personally knew the man mentioned in the vinyl disc recording, his son still attends FBCH.

Are you sure you read this thread?

bgwilkinson said:
bgwilkinson said:

I could be wrong though.
Can you name the man you won to the Lord who became a deacon? 

Just sayin'.

You could have saved a lot of typing by just telling me I need to get right with God.

Tennessean said:
Norefund said:

Binaca Chugger said:
bgwilkinson said:
bgwilkinson said:

I could be wrong though.

Just sayin'.
This reminds me of the man I lead to the Lord, who I had teaching SS.
I got a letter from the administration, that FBC Deacons had to approve him, first.
Understand that this was a man who did not, and never would step onto the Hammond Property, but was a member of a Chapel.
I just laughed....

Haklo

Binaca Chugger said:
bgwilkinson said:
bgwilkinson said:

I could be wrong though.

Just sayin'.

Non sequitur, absit.

RAIDER said:
Norefund said:
I don't think you are addressing the question of this topic. If I'm wrong, enlighten me.

If I knock on a door and present the Gospel, I am soul winning.
If I hand out a Gospel tract, I am soul winning.
If I preach the Gospel on a street corner, I am soul winning.
If I live a Godly life in front of the unsaved who know I am a Christian, I am soul winning.
If I present the Gospel while teaching my Sunday School class, I am soul winning.
If I preach a sermon and present the Gospel, I am soul winning.
If I witness to a guy sitting next to me on a plane, I am soul winning.
If someone is in my home or office and I present the Gospel to them, I am soul winning.

Yeah, but that isn't allowable for my Activity Report. ;)

Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
Norefund said:
I don't think you are addressing the question of this topic. If I'm wrong, enlighten me.

If I knock on a door and present the Gospel, I am soul winning.
If I hand out a Gospel tract, I am soul winning.
If I preach the Gospel on a street corner, I am soul winning.
If I live a Godly life in front of the unsaved who know I am a Christian, I am soul winning.
If I present the Gospel while teaching my Sunday School class, I am soul winning.
If I preach a sermon and present the Gospel, I am soul winning.
If I witness to a guy sitting next to me on a plane, I am soul winning.
If someone is in my home or office and I present the Gospel to them, I am soul winning.

Yeah, but that isn't allowable for my Activity Report. ;)

You are suppose to be copying the young Jack Hyles.  :)