"Dirty Dishrags"?

aleshanee said:
figure how many women in your community do things like this to their daughters then multiply that by at least a few dozen....... and you might get an idea of how many perverted and predatory men there are in your community walking around undetected and unknown... [/font][/size][/color]

And many of these men do their best to try to appear upstanding, which is why they often are church goers or even pastors (as well as the professions you mentioned). This also explains why their friends and colleagues are so shocked when the truth comes out - they have lived a double life. Good church leaders need to be exceedingly diligent to protect the people in their care.

bgwilkinson said:
He clearly is expressing his own opinions, not God's.

The Bible obviously contradicts the very substance of his arguments.

He is most definitely not a Bible preacher when making these statements.

I wonder if his dad and brother might have more influence in his thinking than he realizes.

He lived in the house of a man thoroughly disqualified from ever filling the part of a pastor.

Thank you.

Good men need to stand up and say "No!" to this kind of abuse of the pulpit and women. Instead, a bunch of Lancaster Baptist men shouted "Amen!" in support of Chappell's venom, and some men on this forum think this is much ado about nothing.

FSSL said:
Just a dirty dishrag? We are ALL used feminine napkins.

Chappel should have quoted the Apostle and claimed to be the biggest!

BTW: Purity covenants have the wrong emphasis.
Cast clouts.

Yup.

A little worse than dirty dish rags.

AmazedbyGrace said:
... some men on this forum think this is much ado about nothing.

... or they may say, "At this point, what does it matter?"

bgwilkinson said:
He clearly is expressing his own opinions, not God's.

The Bible obviously contradicts the very substance of his arguments.

He is most definitely not a Bible preacher when making these statements.

I wonder if his dad and brother might have more influence in his thinking than he realizes.

He lived in the house of a man thoroughly disqualified from ever filling the part of a pastor.

Guilt by association, not a very good logical argument.

AmazedbyGrace said:
ALAYMAN said:
Immediately following the dishrag comment he explicitly says "I speak no ill against someone who's had difficulty with sin in their past, but from this day forward...."

But a bride has clearly made the decision to get married and not continue to engage in pre-marital sex. So why is she being referred to as a filthy dishrag? The comment itself shows his little disclaimer was dishonest. He is slamming women who had "difficulty with sin in their past", either their own or someone elses. No provision made for victims in his statement either.

So, based on his weak disclaimer, who exactly do you think he was he describing to this Sunday night crowd?

Virgin brides - clearly not
Non-virgin brides, regardless of how they got that status - definitely

And zero references to men as being filthy on their wedding day...only shame heaped upon women.

I agree that he fails on two points.  First, the fornicating men should be addressed as equally sinful, and secondly, the grace of God and gospel of Christ that forgives and delivers fornicators should be the focal point of preaching not only to those who have failed in the past, but to those who may be actively participating in the sin, or for those even contemplating it.  He clearly is trying to warn those who haven't engaged in such behavior to avoid the regret that inevitably accompanies such irreversible shame and damage.

...Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. Jesus stood up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more."

Now would you like me to remind specifically it was that Jesus wasn't condemning her for or do you remember?

I personally think that this guy, if confronted by all the repercussions of this kind of statement, would probably say, "I shouldn't have said that." Now, I may be wrong but if you have ever spent any time preaching you look back at things you have preached and said and think to yourself, 'That was stupid.'

BALAAM said:
I personally think that this guy, if confronted by all the repercussions of this kind of statement, would probably say, "I shouldn't have said that." Now, I may be wrong but if you have ever spent any time preaching you look back at things you have preached and said and think to yourself, 'That was stupid.'

It would take a wise man to admit he was wrong.

BALAAM said:

That would be true unless one makes a habit of preeeeeching in such a way!  I would be interested in how many times this particular preeeeecher apologized for such statements...knowing people who go to his church, I would say zero, zip, nada, none!

ALAYMAN said:
1Co 9:27  But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

castaway = worthless, reprobate.

Paul saying that he is making an effort to not become a castaway is a long way from saying a woman who has fallen in sin (or succumbed to the wiles of the apparently non-rag guy) is forever worthless (your synonym, not mine).

subllibrm said:
ALAYMAN said:
1Co 9:27  But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Paul saying that he is making an effort to not become a castaway is a long way from saying a woman who has fallen in sin (or succumbed to the wiles of the apparently non-rag guy) is forever worthless (your synonym, not mine).

Eze 23:19  Yet she multiplied her whoredoms, in calling to remembrance the days of her youth, wherein she had played the harlot in the land of Egypt.
Eze 23:20  For she doted upon their paramours, whose flesh is as the flesh of asses, and whose issue is like the issue of horses.
Eze 23:21  Thus thou calledst to remembrance the lewdness of thy youth, in bruising thy teats by the Egyptians for the paps of thy youth.
Eze 23:22  Therefore, O Aholibah, thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will raise up thy lovers against thee, from whom thy mind is alienated, and I will bring them against thee on every side;

Many preachers of the OT used language that our Americanized Evangelical milquetoast sensibilities couldn't bare.  And in pointing that out I'd remind you that I never gave Chappel a pass for his manner of speech.  I would however, caution any person who tries to analyze a sermon snippet to listen to the entire necessary context before making judgment.  But on the FFF, fundys are always fair game.

ALAYMAN said:
subllibrm said:
ALAYMAN said:

Eze 23:19  Yet she multiplied her whoredoms, in calling to remembrance the days of her youth, wherein she had played the harlot in the land of Egypt.
Eze 23:20  For she doted upon their paramours, whose flesh is as the flesh of asses, and whose issue is like the issue of horses.
Eze 23:21  Thus thou calledst to remembrance the lewdness of thy youth, in bruising thy teats by the Egyptians for the paps of thy youth.
Eze 23:22  Therefore, O Aholibah, thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will raise up thy lovers against thee, from whom thy mind is alienated, and I will bring them against thee on every side;

Many preachers of the OT used language that our Americanized Evangelical milquetoast sensibilities couldn't bare.  And in pointing that out I'd remind you that I never gave Chappel a pass for his manner of speech.  I would however, caution any person who tries to analyze a sermon snippet to listen to the entire necessary context before making judgment. But on the FFF, fundys are always fair game.

Here you go, Alayman.

Cyber Christians

ALAYMAN said:
subllibrm said:
ALAYMAN said:

Many preachers of the OT used language that our Americanized Evangelical milquetoast sensibilities couldn't bare.  And in pointing that out I'd remind you that I never gave Chappel a pass for his manner of speech.  I would however, caution any person who tries to analyze a sermon snippet to listen to the entire necessary context before making judgment.  But on the FFF, fundys are always fair game.

Sorry but you lost me. Or better yet, application of the passage from Ezekiel is lost on me. Ezekiel was talking to all of Israel and her apostasy/idolatry. Paul was speaking of himself personally.

Apples to fence posts.

BTW I have never heard anyone preach on that passage. It raises many questions though. How did the Israelites know of this metaphor he was using? Did they sit around talking about their men folk being hung like a mule who ejaculates like a horse?

Odd choice of words. Curious to me. Actually I have asked the question before as to how this would be used by a preacher today. Or what application they might pull form it. Got no answers.

I am righteously indignant over this...and shocked, absolutely shocked that this goes on in the Sword of The Lord wing of IFB-Dom.

It's unprecedented and news to me...and to others of you who join me in my righteous indignation!

Amen!

Tarheel Baptist said:
I am righteously indignant over this...and shocked, absolutely shocked that this goes on in the Sword of The Lord wing of IFB-Dom.

It's unprecedented and news to me...and to others of you who join me in my righteous indignation!

Amen!

That's the support Chappell needs and expects.  Now go preorder his next book. 

subllibrm said:
ALAYMAN said:
subllibrm said:
ALAYMAN said:

Sorry but you lost me. Or better yet, application of the passage from Ezekiel is lost on me. Ezekiel was talking to all of Israel and her apostasy/idolatry. Paul was speaking of himself personally.

Coarse language, directed at people, is rarely something that folk can stomach, unless you have the winsomeness of an Adrian Rogers, who could call you a dirty dog whilst grinning from ear to ear, and when he was done you'd feel like he was still your bosom buddy.  Chappel is no Rogers, but dealing sin via rough language is not always inappropriate.

sub said:
. How did the Israelites know of this metaphor he was using? Did they sit around talking about their men folk being hung like a mule who ejaculates like a horse?

Human nature hasn't really changed a whole lot, there's nothing new under the sun.  Paul used an expression equivalent to modern day scatological material.  Knowing your audience dictates how to speak to them, and occasionally situations arise that call for taking kid gloves off.  The point of Chappel wasn't to shame or humiliate, but to get people to realize that some sins have long lasting implications and ramifications (Prov 6:32).