"Dirty Dishrags"?

ALAYMAN said:
subllibrm said:
ALAYMAN said:
The point of Chappel wasn't to shame or humiliate, but to get people to realize that some sins have long lasting implications and ramifications (Prov 6:32).

Are there consequences? Absolutely, but none of them should be a preacher of God's grace rubbing previous (presumably confessed and forgiven) sin in my face. My Savior promises to cleanse me, not hold it over my head for the rest of my life.

If nothing else, the preacher should point out a dish rag laundry service he knows of. That of course assumes he knows of such.

I agree with most of what you say, particularly the notion at the end, but I don't think that your first part is a proper interpretation of intent of the preacher.  Just because he warns of the effects and consequences of sin doesn't mean he is "rubbing it in".  For instance, if he were to preach to a congregation about having a good name/testimony in regards to keeping your word (ie, not being a liar) he might say that if you want to have an ounce of credibility with your friends/peers that you need to quit stretching the truth and telling tall tales, else be called a liar.  If the shoe fits then a person should take it to heart, but if "such were some of you" and you've gotten the victory then there's no reason to take personal offense.

I guess that is the rub. Is the woman forever a "dirty dish rag" or a trophy of God's grace?

And the question of the man's involvement is still open.

subllibrm said:
I guess that is the rub. Is the woman forever a "dirty dish rag" or a trophy of God's grace?

hmmm, that's a good question, and honestly, one that had not even entered my mind, because the obvious answer (to me) is that God's grace is more than sufficient to restore such a one.  And if Chappel answers that question as you've implied, thinking that they are forever "soiled" then I agree that he is wrong in his assessment, and even possibly misogynistic.  I had never considered that his meaning was that the person could never be morally clean (or equivalent to their prior status) again, but rather assumed that he was referring to how a person might feel in spite of their potentiality to be forgiven and restored.  You know, a lot of people beat themselves up over past mistakes/sins despite the reality that Christ wants to forgive them and restore them to fellowship, and I assumed that was the thing he was warning those would be fornicators about.